Need to find a low sodium lunch meat/alternative

Options
Chika_2015
Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
Okay is it me, or are all deli meat made equally, I mean they pack them full of salt. So my question is, how can i lower my sodium intake but still eat deli meat, is there an alternative?

I'm pretty simple when it comes to lunch time, i just want a quick meal to go and a sandwich usually does the trick. And also when i make a salad i like to throw some chicken in there, because i am not a rabbit, i need some type of meat in there and they too are always so full of sodium

So what is a girl to do?

Please help...
Thank you

Replies

• healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a very delicious low sodium Chicken Breast and Turkey Breast...
    Butterball does too...
    I have found them both in the deli a Wal-Mart
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    There is a health food store in my area that sells MSG-free sandwich meat. It's a little more expensive, but the sodium content is MUCH lower! :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    cook up a roast (beef, pork etc) or some large chicken breasts your self, slice them, put them in baggies and freeze. Instant healthy lunch meat.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    you can get 'natural' and low sodium cuts at the deli counter

or, what I do, on Sundays usually, cook a turkey and slice it up, freeze some, and use that (I also do it for roast beef) a lot better w/no preservatives - although it does take some work to get going ...

Good Luck!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    cook up a roast (beef, pork etc) or some large chicken breasts your self, slice them, put them in baggies and freeze. Instant healthy lunch meat.

This!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Most of the deli counter offers "low sodium" version of the deli. Ask for it. If they don't have it, go to a different store. If sodium is your only concern for deli meat, you don't really need to go to any healthy store to find low sodium version.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I cook chicken breast or a whole chicken and portion it out into serving sizes for sandwiches and freeze it, then pull it out the night before or just nuke it for a few seconds. Sometims I will make chicken salad out of it too or put it in a wrap. Way less sodium than lunch meat, and nitrate free!
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    How about buying some frozen, boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins, grill those up and put them in freezer bags in appropriate portions. Then you can take them out and either let them thaw or microzap them to put on a sandwich?
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    butterball has a low sodium option. Waldbaums has a lower sodium turkey that is awesome too.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I type to slow apparently! :)
  • Susie_Bee
    Susie_Bee Posts: 34
    Options
    You can buy brands with no (or low) sodium... ask at your grocery store. I think "Maple Leaf Natural Selections" is an example.

If not, how about making your own sandwich fillings the night before (egg salad/fried egg, tuna salad, sliced cooked chicken, sliced roast beef, sliced roast pork)? You could also buy fondue meet (steak or chicken, for example) and cook that for your sandwiches (it's thin, so it cooks really fast) and even add some cooked vegetables (mushrooms, onions, etc.). You can even use low fat salad dressing instead of mayo in the egg and tuna salad. ...or peanut butter (good with low sugar jam or banana too).

You could also try having salad with protein instead of sandwiches for lunch (to save on calories) and keep the bread for breakfast and/or supper.

Good luck!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    there are low sodium brands, but you could always cook up a chicken breast and slice it and put it on a sandwich, or TUNA!
  • bethann605
    Options
    http://www.applegatefarms.com/
    Applegate is a brand I tend to buy when I want something from the deli. My trainer recommended it to me since it is nitrate free. Definitely check with the deli, rather than buying the processed pre-packaged deli meat at the store.
    Grill up some chicken breast in the beginning of the week, dice it up, easy to throw on a salad!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Leftover meats from dinner are the best in a sandwich.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As well as the options mentioned already - Bumble Bee Very Low Sodium Solid White Albacore in water (gold can) is an excellent choice as well. Sodium 70 mg for the can. Absolutely delicious.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options

This is what I do too.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Kroger sells a low sodium variety of their chicken, ham and turkey.. Its really good. If you don't have a Kroger, Im sure you can ask at the deli counter and see if they have any.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Duh, the making my own was a no brainer LOL......Thanks eveyone. Some great ideas here!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Kroger sells a low sodium variety of their chicken, ham and turkey.. Its really good. If you don't have a Kroger, Im sure you can ask at the deli counter and see if they have any.

Just incase youre in a different market, Kroger, Frys and King Soopers are all the same company
  • shonniegrl
    shonniegrl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thow a whole chicken in a crock pot with nothing...yes NOTHING. Cook it for about 6 hours and that is it. The meat falls off the bone and you have tons of chicken for lunch meat, taco salads etc. I'm about easy and cheap!!!
    :happy: