Do you have a gym "crush"...

Options
and when I say "crush", I don't mean someone you wanna wrestle between the sheets. I mean someone you kinda idolize, who motivates the hell out of you and you are just a teensy bit jealous of, probably the same gender even though most women are under a 2 and most men cite 0 on the Kinsey scale ;) Maybe you've talked to them, maybe you haven't had the guts yet...

I do! She's in quite a bit better shape than me, more compact and can pull off the sport-bra sans shirt & bike shorts thing. Like the body of a SELF magazine model with DDs slapped on (I found out she actually had a reduction & not augmentation which shocked the heck outta me). Same color hair as me, gorgeous fine-line feminine tats... she's basically the platinum blonde Kat Von D. Muscular AND feminine! She lifts a bit heavier than me (like 20-30lb on single arm stuff to my 8-15lb, not because I'm afraid of weight/bulk, but because that's all I can literally handle for 6-10 reps!) and goes about her business in the gym with the same "F off" sign tacked to her forehead that I like to wear. Definitely not scared of the weights & testosterone-heavy side of the gym like me either. LOL I think a lot of the guys are scared of her or assume she hits for the other team. Anyway, she's at my 24hr Fitness location pretty often at the same times I'm there.

I REALLY struggled this morning with even wanting to go to the gym or wanting to push myself once I got there, but as soon as she showed up, it was like a second wind! Made all the difference in the world. I did >not< want to look like some typical girlie-girl who was just there to skankercise, not get too sweaty, lift baby-weights and generally take up real estate next to her :) It's kinda like more of a competitive thing with me.

Anyone else like this or am I just an oddball?

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Why as a matter of fact....
    and when I say "crush", I don't mean someone you wanna wrestle between the sheets.

Oh....never mind. :(
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    No I dont! And it's a damn shame too!! LOL
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options

and when I say "crush", I don't mean someone you wanna wrestle between the sheets.

Haha... I'm afraid most men are a bit too homophobic to answer this one. I hate how men can't admit to even looking at one another and thinking, "wow, I wish I had his V-back/traps/biceps etc." Women do it all the time and are perfectly comfortable doing so!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Haha... I'm afraid most men are a bit too homophobic to answer this one. I hate how men can't admit to even looking at one another and thinking, "wow, I wish I had his V-back/traps/biceps etc." Women do it all the time and are perfectly comfortable doing so!

Women also tend to heavily scrutinize and judge the hell out of each other. I see that aaaallllll of the time.
    Not ALL men are homophobic, so put your guns back in their holsters. I've met a few guys at the YMCA that do the workouts, and have the discipline that I admire. I usually strike up a conversation with them. I've made several good gym buddies this way, and none of them have asked me to shower with them. :-P
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I belong to a very small gym and most of the time, I am there working out with men. Occasionally we end up with a 'girl power' day and the girls over populate the men, but it's pretty rare.

I am proud to be able to say that I am actually in better shape than most of the ladies that workout at the same time I do, and as such, I am their cheerleader :) As such, there is also not really anyone there that I wish I was more like.

Now, if you had asked about the wrestling between the sheets thing ... that's a whole 'nother story (I did say I ususally workout with only men right?)! LOL ...
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Women also tend to heavily scrutinize and judge the hell out of each other. I see that aaaallllll of the time.

I am so glad that all the women in my gym (at least at the time I get there) get along, spot each other, provide encouragement, compliment each other, make each other laugh and do what they can make it a successful day for everyone there.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I do, she is an instructor in one of the classes I do, if I could pick someone to look like, bodywise it would be her. She is an ex ballet dancer but not like super skinny just toned to perfection.

It kind of drives me more as I think if I push myself in the right way I could get toned like that :) However I do have a longggggg way to go.
  • Schwiggity
    Options

Have you not heard of /fit/? lol And yes I do think that and do that. But I also think a lot of the guys with the better bodies at my gym are tools (probably just fat kid mentality though).
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

But I also think a lot of the guys with the better bodies at my gym are tools (probably just fat kid mentality though).

I totally agree! A LOT of guys at the gym are too full of themselves to bother with a conversation. They are easy to spot! Just watch how they strut around the place like peacocks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There was this girl on the treadmill across the gym from me, giving it all she got, sweating pouring off her, with the meanest look on her face... and I thought, "Damn... I do NOT want to mess with her!" Then I realized it was a mirror. :blushing:

But seriously... I'm pretty oblivious when I'm at the gym. In my own little world. I've walked past my own sister without noticing her! There's been women I thought looked awesome, but I haven't paid that much attention to them.

One that I really thought, "Oh, wow!" was a girl who was in fantastic shape, kickin' *kitten* on the elliptical, then got off and I noticed she was about 6 months pregnant. It was amazing... it was like you took a fitness model and shoved a soccer ball under her top.

Edit: Thought of another one... and it was just a few days ago. A young girl with some kind of physical handicap with her legs, in a wheelchair, who's Mom (I assume?) was just sitting in the sidelines while she pulled herself out of the chair and into a weight bench. Really inspiring. :smile:
  • Schwiggity
    Options

But I also think a lot of the guys with the better bodies at my gym are tools (probably just fat kid mentality though).

I totally agree! A LOT of guys at the gym are too full of themselves to bother with a conversation. They are easy to spot! Just watch how they strut around the place like peacocks.

The coolest guys at my gym are the ones just trying to get stronger or the older guys doing cardio.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did and i MARRIED HIM!!! we've been together 7 years now! i taught aerobics at this gym and he was one of the meatheads who was really big into powerlifing. he has several world titles in benchpress so the gym was his life just as much as it is mine. he made me hit to my knees every time i saw him walk by. a friend introduced us out one evening and we've been together ever since! a few years went by with this crush i had on him before we ever met. he STILL drops me to my knees! we workout together and life is wonderful! we actually bought the gym that we met at!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options

The coolest guys at my gym are the ones just trying to get stronger or the older guys doing cardio.

I guess that would make me (for the invisible "F off" sign I like to wear on my forehead) and previous poster (for saying she was oblivious and walked past her own Sis) the female equivalents. Not trying to be "tools" per-se, I guess I just see the gym as more of a place to be super-productive and less of a place to be social? I'm just trying to get as much in before the KidsClub closes for the afternoon. I'm also married and leave my rings at home so they don't cut my fingers, so maybe I overcompensate with trying to be unapproachable. I do throw an encouraging smile to the really out of shape people who look like they're giving it their all and are in there regularly. They motivate me too!
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There are only a handfull of us girls that actually workout in the wieght room with the big boys at my gym. I give huge props to those girls. Its intimidating and uncomfortable, but I think any chick that lifts like a man is cool.

As for the boys, well, thats why I work out at a co-ed gym, I like to look at muscles (discreetly of course). I am married though. LOL
  • Schwiggity
    Options

I do throw an encouraging smile to the really out of shape people who look like they're giving it their all and are in there regularly. They motivate me too!

I really wish I could do that without it being awkward. I see people that are my old weight (especially this overweight kid who I saw with his mom). I just want to go up to them and tell them they're kicking *kitten*, but I know if it was me, I'd think that was weird.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I really don't pay attention to anyone at the gym lol
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Admire? No.

Respect? Absolutely. They are the guys who REALLY know what they are doing and just get on with doing it. No show, no bother, just hard work, application and dedication. They are the kind of guys who when you walk into the free weights section will just give you a nod because they know what you are about and get back on it. They know you're there to train, not to get into a knitting circle and talk crap.

It's a sanctuary from the world. They just let you get on with the business of being a man.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    I guess I just see the gym as more of a place to be super-productive and less of a place to be social?

While I am social the gym (small gym, in my office building, same people on a regular basis, hard not to be), it's usually only when I'm lifting (in between reps usually) b/c when I do cardio, I am plugged into my tunes and unaware of most of what is going on around me. However, if I'm feeling particularly 'unsocial', I will occasionally plug into my tunes while lifting as well.

I consider gym time "my time". I turn off my phone and for the next 60-120 mintues it is all about me :)
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yep... I actually have 1 from MFP that works her tail off..... literally.... I'm so jealous of her burns and the amount of time she has to devote to doing this and she looks freaking amazing.

And I havea real life one who is awesome to talk to and encouraging and always there when I am as well and also looks amazing and busts her tail in the gym
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Not a same-sex one, but there's a guy at my gym who certainly improves the scenery. ;)