PLEASE HELP- tell me what to do

Options
I am new to the site, just signed up about 10 min ago. i know weight loss takes time but i would like to know what i need to do for my weight loss to be effective. i have about 45 lbs to lose, i am 5 foot 4 inches and i am a mommy of two. i am looking to get any and all advice about what to eat, when to eat, how often to eat, how much sleep i need, when and how long to workout. just anything you think i need to know. thank you so much.

Replies

• Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Protein First - its filling. Then Veggies then a small amount of healthy fats. 60% prot 20% carbs and 10% fat. Is a good formula. Eat 5 - 6 meals a day. 3 main meals and 2 -3 snacks. If you eat every 2 - 3 hours it helps balance your blood sugar and keep you in a good metabolic rate. Exercise 6 days a week and rest one day. This is what I'm doing its working and its been easy to maintain. Drink plenty of water it really does help. Join a group on here that has challenges. That will probably help you with motivation! Add folks as friends. You can add me! Good Luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose it fast, don't starve, but don't overeat either. When you eat is irrelevant. Eat when you are hungry, but eat enough calories. And keep it healthy. I believe this really does make a difference. Plentry of veggies. And do cardio. Strength exercises are great and should be included or eventually added, but cardio will burn off those calories the fastest.
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    and as much as possible...cut out sugar and processed foods! Otherwise...Gary pretty much outlined a great start!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Coming from a mother of 3...twin babies that are 6 months and a toddler that is 2...I live a busy life. I started back in February on choosing to live a better life for my family. Once you are mentally prepared everything else will follow with tracking your foods, exercising, and getting rest. I try to make time after I've fed all the kids in the morning to exercise, and its about 5-6 days out of a week. I pour myself a 2 quart jug of water to see how much I've drank through the day. Get plenty of rest when your body needs it, and also listen to your body when its hungry or not. Believe that you CAN achieve this...set your goals and think to yourself how badly do you want this...keep strong and just be patient. :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein First - its filling. Then Veggies then a small amount of healthy fats. 60% prot 20% carbs and 10% fat. Is a good formula. Eat 5 - 6 meals a day. 3 main meals and 2 -3 snacks. If you eat every 2 - 3 hours it helps balance your blood sugar and keep you in a good metabolic rate. Exercise 6 days a week and rest one day. This is what I'm doing its working and its been easy to maintain. Drink plenty of water it really does help. Join a group on here that has challenges. That will probably help you with motivation! Add folks as friends. You can add me! Good Luck!

60 / 20 / 10 !!!! Seriously? Is this a diet for body builders ... hmmmm ..... maybe

Before dieting - you might try logging what you currently eat for a couple of days. This will give you an idea of what you are doing wrong ..... and what you are doing right. No need to change good habits.

As far a percentages - some people do well with a diet that is higher in fat than MFP recommends, and some people do well with a diet that is higher protein than MFP recommends. You will figure this out as you go. Logging your food is an excellent learning experience.
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    As far a percentages - some people do well with a diet that is higher in fat than MFP recommends, and some people do well with a diet that is higher protein than MFP recommends. You will figure this out as you go. Logging your food is an excellent learning experience.

This is bang on! You've gotta figure out what is working for you. It takes some time, but you'll get there. Just make sure to eat, eat smart, and move! Personally I'm eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb, and most of my calories come from meat and vegetables.
  • jcezzell
    jcezzell Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks, so whats a good example of good fats?
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    Polyunsaturated (Omega 3-s etc.), and monounsaturated fats. Good sources are, nuts, fish, avocados, olives, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds...there are more, but I don't remember them.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Go to the main forum page under General Diet and Weight Loss Help and read every thread that's been stickied at the top. That will give you all the information you need to determine your own particular needs.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Also here are some great blog / topic to read. It's a lot info, but you'll learn a lot too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ladyhawk00/view/mfp-basics-78491
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/idssports3.htm
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ (links on the 2nd page... :-)

And make some friends and see how they do it (hopefully you'll find good examples - eating healthy, etc)

Good luck.