Juice Fasting / detoxing

Options
So I saw a documentary about a guy who did a 60 day juice fast and lost a lot of weight. I'm only 4 lbs from my goal and I thought I'd give this juice thing a try. I started yesterday and had a huge headache by the end of the day. I'm still going today, but I had to add in some protein. I've only added in hard boiled egg whites. My question is, has anyone tried a juice fast, for how long, did you have any side effects? Should I really be doing this?

Replies

• cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    any "diet" that i can't realistically maintain for the left of my life, i won't try.
    what happens when you lose those 4 lbs, so you quit the juice fast? those 4 lbs will come right back!
    just keep doing what you're doing, exercise and eat your calories, and you'll get there!
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    Just be careful. This may throw your body into starvation mode which will just add those last 4 lbs back plus some when you complete your 60 day fast.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    I saw that documentary too! Very interesting...
  • Sarahcuda
    Sarahcuda Posts: 76
    Options
    I regularly (1-2 a year) do a juice fast or a colon cleanse. Many cultures utilize fasting.
    The first 2-3 days are the hardest, and headaches are a frequent problem because you are detoxing.

I generally don't do a fast for more than a week. But a fast or cleanse should NEVER be used for weight loss. Your body goes into starvation mode and much of the weight lost (especially when done for a short time) is water weight and ::Gross alert:: fecal matter than can build up in your colon : x

I utilize the cleanse if I have been really stressed, or just need to reset my system.

Good luck!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You have to look a why he was doing it. There is a major lack of protein with the juicing. I think it is benificial when you have health problems like headaches and stuff like that. I have a jucie as my breakfast though.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You have to look a why he was doing it. There is a major lack of protein with the juicing. I think it is benificial when you have health problems like headaches and stuff like that. I have a jucie as my breakfast though.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've done one for 7 days. I had slight side effects for 2 or 3 days but nothing major. Do you normally drink a lot of caffeine? There is a lot of information if you search the internet. It is important to be drinking fresh juice you make yourself and drinking a fair amount of it along with water. It is important to break your fast with raw fruits and veggies slowly adding solid food back in for up to 3 days while still drinking juice and water.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is another juice fasting thread going with multiple participants. You should check it out. There is a lot of information and maybe a little debate as well.

And here is the link
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/292205-juice-fasting?page=6#posts-3912343
  • Dcass100
    Dcass100 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Invariably with fasting one loses muscle mass before fat because muscle because the body feeds from muscle first. So why do that and the headache is definetly a side effect of fasting. It is too drastic and unhealthy. Good Luck!!
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    awesome. I was only planning on doing it for 7 days. But I don't think I can. Too many side effects. It's definitely a cleanser. But I really need protein. I think I'll incorporate smoothies through out this next week, but I need solid food.