I am new to this...

Options
I am giving this a try, since everything else I have tried doesn't seem to be working. I am looking for encouragement, advice on keeping it all real. I feel my inability to lose weight is unrealistic goals. 65 lbs, by the end of the year....somebody tell me if I am expecting too much. Thanks.....

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to discourage, but it may be a little hard...not saying you can't do it! Can I suggest making smaller goals...this has really helped me! I really want to lose a total of 30lbs but I've been working on it 10lbs at a time. I've made my first goal of 10 lbs to be by the end of August and when I do so I will treat myself to a new outfit! Next 10lbs i will treat myself to something else, not sure what...and when I hit 30lbs I will get a new camera lens!!!
    Hope that helps! Good luck and keep working hard!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Hi and welcome! You would have to lose a little over 2 pounds a week to get to your goal. But you do lose a little more than normal the first week or two, so it may happen! Don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen though just keep going strong in 2012!
  • Bethany28
    Options
    I'm not trying to discourage, but it may be a little hard...not saying you can't do it! Can I suggest making smaller goals...this has really helped me! I really want to lose a total of 30lbs but I've been working on it 10lbs at a time. I've made my first goal of 10 lbs to be by the end of August and when I do so I will treat myself to a new outfit! Next 10lbs i will treat myself to something else, not sure what...and when I hit 30lbs I will get a new camera lens!!!
    Hope that helps! Good luck and keep working hard!

I am also a fan of mini goals with mini rewards! I am trying to think of a super big reward for my ultimate goal! To the op: just don't make your rewards food rewards.
  • MAE67
    MAE67 Posts: 1
    Options
    MY GOAL SEEMS HARD ALSO BUT WE CAN DO THIS. I'VE NOT SET A TIME LIMIT ON MINE .JUST WORK AT IT ONE DAY AT A TIME AND WELCOME.:heart:
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    I definitely agree that you shouldn't focus on a big goal to begin with. Maybe cut it in half or start by making 5 lb goals. That way as you reach each 5 lb goal you become encouraged. Setbacks can happen but the thing is not to let the setbacks deter you in the long run.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for about 2 lbs a week as well. I know it wo'nt be that way every week, but slow and steady wins the race. I have sent you a friend request. Welcome btw!
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well there's only a little over 20 weeks til the end of the year. Which means you would have to lose close to 3 pounds each week, which not only is hard, but from what I've heard, not very healthy. I would personally aim for something a little smaller like 20-30 pounds by the end of the year, but that's just me. Hope that helps!
  • capNramsey
    capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome. So far calorie counting and exercise seems to be the only thing that has helped me lose weight. I set my goal for two pounds a week. I think that is a reasonable goal. It's hard for me to lose more than that per week, but it depends on the person. If you go by two pounds a week, you should lose about 40-45 pounds by the end of the year. I set my goal for two pounds a week, but usually only lose about one pound a week. I'm not saying 65 pounds is impossible, but it will be hard. You'll need to have a lot will power and strength. But I believe you can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck on your journey!
  • Paperlantern86
    Options
    Honestly, it may not be unrealistic, though as a rule of thumb, most people that are a little overweight try to do 1lb a week, there are only 20 some odd weeks left in the year, so 65 lbs means youd be trying to lose roughly 3 lbs a week average. You didnt post your starting weight or anything, age, height, etc, so it is hard to judge. That information may help the more knowledgable make a good recommendation.

I'm not a health professional or anything, but If you are more overweight than most, 3lbs a week may not be that difficult or unrealistic, at least at first. But it may take a pretty good commitment on eating RIGHT (not eating NOTHING), and regular exercise. Even if you dont quite make 65, with a good attitude, and commitment, you can get a good chunk of it.
  • Bethany28
    Options
    I definitely agree that you shouldn't focus on a big goal to begin with. Maybe cut it in half or start by making 5 lb goals. That way as you reach each 5 lb goal you become encouraged. Setbacks can happen but the thing is not to let the setbacks deter you in the long run.

Good advice! I am changing my mini goals to 5 pounds each instead of 10 pounds each. I think it will help me stay motivated!!!
  • Bethany28
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify that there are 23 weeks and 2 days left until the end of 2011. That is 2.82 pounds a week. It will definitely take some will power, but I think you will get very close and possibly reach your goal!

http://www.easysurf.cc/ndate2.htm
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    small steps
    take it month by month...
    it's healthy to loose 1.5-2 lbs a week
    when you are closer to your goal it gets harder..
    good luck
    feel free to add me:)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Did you gain 65 pounds since January? If the answer is no, why oh why do you have a due date? I say lose one pound at the time. Read my signature, I live with this principle and I have no problem recomiting (sp???) every morning for the last 8-9 months