How do you feel

Options
13»

Replies

• CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    ... How do you feel when you read the generic, wtg, good job, great job, comments? Does it bother you?

Do you wish people would be more sincere?

There are a lot of people on here, there are a lot of topics that are repeated over and over again.

Some replies are generic yes but is it better to give a few platittudes or just ignore people?

On my wall I guess I sometimes give very generic / basic replies (such as congratulating people on a loss or a good work out) maybe I am not saying anything 'radical' but at least I am showing my support? What I say may sound pretty generic but it doesn't mean I am not sincere.

What does annoy me is people that post here to dig out others. I made the cardinal sin of spelling "lose" wrong and I got slaughtered for it...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ... How do you feel when you read the generic, wtg, good job, great job, comments? Does it bother you?

Do you wish people would be more sincere?

I don't think sincerity is the issue. I think people are genuine when they make comments like that.

I think it is more the giving of objective, useful advice. I haven't opted into the social networking part of this site for a number of reasons. However, this enables me to assess someone's situation with impartiality without having to worry or be influenced by my feelings for them as a friend. In that way I can give a completely honest critique to a poster on here in relation to training or nutrition.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I think sadly in some cases friends will think they are being helpful when in reality it's just the opposite and locks them into unsuccessful or unhelpful patterns. Being nice is great. Being pathologically nice is a disorder.

I see you have deactivated your account. If you do read this I would hope you will reconsider. You strike me as a good person from the posts of yours I have seen in the past. Good luck whatever path you choose.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    When I post a 'fab', or 'great', or 'well done' etc., I genuinely mean it (I wouldn't bother posting otherwise), so I assume that when my friends here do the same for me, they mean it too. Why would I not be appreciative of that? How mean-spirited or cynical do you have to be to not appreciate that someone has taken the time to pay you some positive attention, and cares enough to encourage you?

I am cynical and I know it....but I love you xxxxxxxxxxx

I do know! :flowerforyou:

To add to my earlier post, I can see why it could be frustrating to have someone seemingly mindlessly congratulate you (not you, Cheesy!) for eating rubbish but staying under cals (for example); however, perhaps what they are being supportive of is the fact that you actually logged it honestly, and not the content of the diary itself. Just a thought!

(For the record, I never congratulate a 'bad' diary....but I do ask whether things are OK with that person because obviously I'm concerned when my friends have a bad day.)
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    I think we all have common goals and a simple wow, or well done goes a long way to feel good about the choices I'm making, don't have to write me a novel. :laugh:
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I post a 'fab', or 'great', or 'well done' etc., I genuinely mean it (I wouldn't bother posting otherwise), so I assume that when my friends here do the same for me, they mean it too. Why would I not be appreciative of that?

....what they are being supportive of is the fact that you actually logged it honestly, and not the content of the diary itself. Just a thought!
    (For the record, I never congratulate a 'bad' diary....but I do ask whether things are OK with that person because obviously I'm concerned when my friends have a bad day.)

I completely agree. Just one thing to add - I appreciate that my friends on this site take the time out of their busy schedules, even if it is only a few minutes, to log onto the site and take the trouble to express a positive thought about how I'm getting along. "WTG" is fine by me - it still shows they are supporting me by checking my updates.
    [/quote]

I appreciate my friends on this site and I am proud to count both BerryH and TheGoktor as two of them.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think any comment is good, I don;t expect people to write essays! I don't comment on diaries which are hidden though. It might say that someone is under calories, but if I can't see what they've eaten, why would I congratulate? They might only have had 200 calories all day!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly acceptable and I believe genuine for most of us - certainly when I post them. Sometimes it's also a quick way of saying Hi to the people you support.

I also think it shouldn't be automatic though - if someone is repeatedly eating cr*p or overeating, give friendly criticism if it's warranted, but don't give encouraging signals.

You also have the option of changing your own profile settings to determine what goes into your news feed. Eg: I have the amount of times I logon to the site and the daily diary completion notes switched off. So what that I've logged in for 5 days in a row, or eaten under my calorie target? The first is an observation along the lines of 'well done, you put your shoes on the right feet today', and the second is kind of what we're aiming to do anyway - so they're largely irrelevant.

When I lose a pound or two, or knacker myself running I appreciate little comments on Mfp
  • michaelaam18
    Options
    Any comment like that is well received, but I still can't help but think it only takes a second more to write "way to go" instead of just churning out WTG in every thread. Sounds much more sincere too.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    i have always just assumed the wtg, good jobs, awsomes, and looks good, were sincere
    Me too. I don't really know the person I'm writing to, but want to affirm or comfort in some way. Its all short hand for, " I care and I recognize you are like me.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like so many people on here are like robots and are programmed to say "wtg" about pretty much any and everything. I would personally rather people not say a darn thing than tell me I did a great job when I ate 2000 calories over my limit because I went to Carl's jr and had a double western bacon cheeseburger.
    How many people wrote WTG when this happened?
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I post a 'fab', or 'great', or 'well done' etc., I genuinely mean it (I wouldn't bother posting otherwise), so I assume that when my friends here do the same for me, they mean it too. Why would I not be appreciative of that? How mean-spirited or cynical do you have to be to not appreciate that someone has taken the time to pay you some positive attention, and cares enough to encourage you?

Exactly!