Eat At Home Open Challenge - Starts Sun Jul 24!

Options
Everyone is invited... the rules are simple...

Sunday July 24 through Sunday July 31 you will eat and prepare all of your meals from home.

This means no restaurants, no fast food, no takeout, no delivery, no supermarket deli counter... lunches at work will be brown bagged and date night will have to revolve around something other than food outside of the home!

Starbucks? That's out. Quick doughnut from the gas station? That's out too. All food and drink shall be prepared and come from your home.

We'll lose weight, we'll save $$, and we'll discover the value of a family dinner around the table WITHOUT unwrapping a burger!!!

We'll work on the honor system... you can "check in" with as little or as much information as you'd like... feel free to share new recipes or creative ways you achieved your restaurant favorites from your own kitchen!

Who wants to join me?!?

Replies

• stefv86
    stefv86 Posts: 60
    Options
    Oh gosh, I do! I do!
    My husband will be happy, he's always whining that eating out costs us so much money.
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I will join you as well!!! :) I eat at home all the time and this will be a great way to keep that up!
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I want to but my job involves me visiting people's homes :sad: which means no fridge or way to keep anything cold!! I am really going to try this tho!! That is an awesome idea!
  • msteadham
    msteadham Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Count me in~!
  • msteadham
    msteadham Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Count me in~!
  • mrstrivette
    mrstrivette Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's how I eat on a typical day to day basis. Usually only eat out to celebrate something. And hubby takes a packed lunch to work daily.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'll be bumping often to recruit more people and of course will remind everyone on Saturday! Get your coupons clipped and meal plans prepared...

That's my #1 advice that I'm going to follow as well... plan, plan, plan... and have some "quick" healthy meal options on standby for those times that you would opt to hit the drive thru.

We have a few days before the challenge to prepare... so if you want to add how you're going to prepare- let's have it!
  • odie02
    odie02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    oh, this is an easy one...lol. No one is working currently, so there is no money for going out! All our meals are prepared in home always... Good luck to those of you who will be trying this one! When you first have to change your ways, it is HARD!
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    I want to but my job involves me visiting people's homes :sad: which means no fridge or way to keep anything cold!! I am really going to try this tho!! That is an awesome idea!

Got a cooler and some ice packs?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list!
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I had a job like that too - invest in an insulated lunch box/bag and a couple of gel freezer packs to throw in there to keep it all cold. On the weekend, divide up your fruit and veggies and whatnot into single serving containers and label it so all you have to do is grab what you want to eat that day and throw it all in your bag with the frozen gel pack. It's easy and you will see a huge difference in your diet.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'd like to but .. that's the week of my birthday party & I KNOW there will be junk food =( damn birthdays - you only turn 55 once y'know
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    We eat at home 98% of the time but I've found myself hitting up the Starbucks drive thru this week b/c my husband is out of town...

This challenge can work for everyone... if you already eat at home- this will be an easy one! If you eat out a lot... it's a great way to have support to 'clean up your act.' If you go every now and then, like me, it's a good way to push your limits and prove that you can make the effort, no matter what!

Good luck!
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'll do it cause this will definetly push me thats for sure! I need the push! :)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm in and this will be very hard, for I am not a cooker. My husband and I eat out most of the weekend, though I can usually control myself during the week except for the few Sonic drinks here and there!! I'm pumped about the challenge though!
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    GREAT idea!! I'm in.

Thursday will be my only downfall. My hubby & I go out to eat every Thursday; it's our date night aka our night out away from the kids. LOL! But, I will try my very best to talk him into eating @ home next Thursday. :bigsmile:
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I had a job like that too - invest in an insulated lunch box/bag and a couple of gel freezer packs to throw in there to keep it all cold. On the weekend, divide up your fruit and veggies and whatnot into single serving containers and label it so all you have to do is grab what you want to eat that day and throw it all in your bag with the frozen gel pack. It's easy and you will see a huge difference in your diet.
    I honestly never thought about this or the cooler!! I will def do this then!! I normally either have to go through the drive-thru or go home really quick for a sandwich or what not!! Awesome idea!! I'm so excited now!!! :smile:
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    I'm in and this will be very hard, for I am not a cooker. My husband and I eat out most of the weekend, though I can usually control myself during the week except for the few Sonic drinks here and there!! I'm pumped about the challenge though!

Great point... this will be a great way we can share ideas for the non cookers too! My favorite thing in the world has to be a bag of 'steam in the bag' vegetables... without the sauce and butter... etc. You just have to microwave. Even a caveman can do it! :laugh:

Would love to see tidbits from others on how they eat at home even if they are cooking challenged. :drinker:
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    GREAT idea!! I'm in.

Thursday will be my only downfall. My hubby & I go out to eat every Thursday; it's our date night aka our night out away from the kids. LOL! But, I will try my very best to talk him into eating @ home next Thursday. :bigsmile:

What about a candlelit dinner? Tablecloth, candles, light music... the works... could be an opportunity to do something really romantic... orrrr... just do a regular dinner at home and go out and do something else non-food related for your date (bowling, movies, dancing)... ? I'm just thinking out loud... lol