Looking for 40 something friends

Options
sueozzy
sueozzy Posts: 68 Member
I started running at 39, the goal was a marathon but that went out the door with a position change which required travel and lots of hours. Four years later I'm back! A friend introduced me to fitness pal ....I'm so glad she did you all are so amazing and supportive!

I'm really frustrated with myself, I forgot how hard running was! I think I thought I would start right back at 9 minute miles.....far from it!

I found a new love Biking! I'm trying to mix it up with anything new I can find. Has anyone done a TRI?

Also is it true it is harder to get your bod in shape after 40. It seems like it!

Replies

• ffemtchris
    ffemtchris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love biking as it is easier on the body (less shock) but still delivers some great exercise as cardio, strength, or both.

I'm gearing up for an offical Sprint triathlon on 8/7/11. I've done two unofficial sprints (i.e 1/2 mile swim, 20K bike, 5k run, not necessarily in that order). It was a great thing and a great feeling. Looking forward to crossing that finish line for real.
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    I'm 42. I can't run due to wonky knees but you can't keep me off my bike. Feel free to add me.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There is a proverb that is about planting a tree but I like to use it a slightly different way. The best time to start exercising and eating right was ten years ago. The second best time is today.

I'm not sure if it's harder because I never started trying until the end of March. All I know is after only about 4 months I'm in a lot better shape then I was for the previous 12-13 years and I am 41!

Last time I ran was in gym class in high school and even then thought going 1 mile was torture! Now I'm running 4 miles routinely @ 5-6 mph. I'm not trying to break any speed records. And I could barely do 1/4 mile at 4.5mph when I started in April.

I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll improve in a short amount of time!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 43 and just started training for a 5k. The first one in ohhhhhhhhh.....let say 25 years. I'm not a fast runner but I am trying. Please feel free to add me. I am not marathon material yet...but who knows...it may be in my future!!