? For those who can....

Options
actually do push ups, chin ups, and pretty much any hard core set of exercises, How long did it take you to be able to do your first set with proper form like a pro? What was your motivation to continue to try until you succeed? I really want to do pushups and I try everyday and for the past 20 days it is as hard as the first day.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    the thing is..to just do them..or attempt them. keep at it and you'll eventually build up strength to do them.
    i have as yet tried a chin up..but when i started out in my weight lifting journey i could barely do a few pushups. now i can pump them out no problem. i dont really know the amount of time it took me. i just one day decided to try and bam..pushups galore. it was maybe 6 months or so.

i am always envious of those who can do chin ups.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    what Xray says, you need to gradually build up to them.

Take Military basic training, we would do a Push up test, every couple of days, see how many you could do in 2 minutes....

you would watch your numbers increase over time, same with pull ups before lunch...

it takes time, just keep trying to do a few more each time until your muscles are physically exhausted.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    do negatives until you can do the real thing.

Pushups - veeeeerrrrryyyy slooooowwwwllly lower yourself to the floor. Reposition in the UP position, and do it again. You are focusing on fighting gravity as you slowly lower yourself. Do sets of these until you have the strength to push yourself up.

Pullups - Use a chair to help get your chin over the bar, and then same as the Pushups, slowly lower yourself until you reach the bottom. use the chair to get your chin over the bar, and repeat. Do several sets of these, and occasionally test if you can do a true pullup.

The point of these is to build up your strength by using your body weight (with gravity) as a 'helper' until you can do the real thing.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    My son and I use an iphone app called 100 pushups. it's also a website. it starts you out where ever you are able to start and if you follow the exercise plan it's supposed to take you to being able to do 100 pushups. It's a really good tool for pushups.
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options

Pushups - veeeeerrrrryyyy slooooowwwwllly lower yourself to the floor. Reposition in the UP position, and do it again. You are focusing on fighting gravity as you slowly lower yourself. Do sets of these until you have the strength to push yourself up.

Pullups - Use a chair to help get your chin over the bar, and then same as the Pushups, slowly lower yourself until you reach the bottom. use the chair to get your chin over the bar, and repeat. Do several sets of these, and occasionally test if you can do a true pullup.

Thank you I will do this
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    My son and I use an iphone app called 100 pushups. it's also a website. it starts you out where ever you are able to start and if you follow the exercise plan it's supposed to take you to being able to do 100 pushups. It's a really good tool for pushups.

I'll give this a try as well

I'm going for G.I. Jane capabilities
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options

Thank you I will do this

That is amazing advice! I will definitely give this a try as well!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Thank you I will do this

That is amazing advice! I will definitely give this a try as well!

Ditto!

On my BEST day I can do ONE push up so I keep giving up. This is genius advice. THANKS! :drinker:
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Strength training is always easier if you're already warmed up! :) I can never do push-ups/pull-ups/etc without a quick run or other cardio exercise right beforehand. Warming up your muscles makes strength training less likely to injure you too. Best of luck!
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    I do Insanity so thats all we do is Push ups, I get stronger every couple weeks
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

HA! Ive used this website (http://hundredpushups.com/week6.html) as well!! Very helpful!