Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been reading a lot about the benefits of using a HRM while exercising and I am seriously considering buying one. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. I don't need a high tech one, just an accurate one that can keep track of calories burned and one that includes a chest strap. My budget is about $100. I have been looking on Amazon and the Polar FT4F Heart Rate Monitor Watch seems to be a contender. I was wondering if you could share your personal experiences with this specific model, brand, or your own HRM. Any advice/knowledge is appreciated!

P.S. I'm always looking for new friends, so feel free to add me!

Replies

• Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    My HRM from Amazon should arrive today so i'll add you and let you know in a week or so! I've heard the Polar ones are good, they were just slightly out of my price range! Amazon one has good reviews though :o)
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I saw the ft4f on amazon for under $50 tonight!
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i have a new balance n4 for women. it has a smaller watch so that way you can acctually bend your wrist. it also has a chest strap. i love it and it was 69.99 at target. i havent had any problem with it.
  • rooboi85
    rooboi85 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you using one for cardio burn yes they are very handy and quite aqurate. I bought a Bruer one - German design!

don't get over sold on fancy add on's that you will never use!

you need the watch and a chest strap (pref water proof if you might fancy swimming or running in rain)

I'd get one which can work out calories consumed

above that its a waste if you have a good site like this to do the rest for you...

Bit of a knack to first getting them to sync up each time - good rule of thumb is rub the sensor in your hands to warm up then put on and leave for a few mins - saliva the back then activate the watch and mine picks up almost instantly. Do it the books way and can be upto 10mins - annoying when your in a rush and want to commence a routine.

I have worn it during weights - but i don't think you get a true calorie burn because you are targetting one small area at a time with weight training so HR would come up high with out you really doing anything...
  • sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i got polar ft4 and love it :D
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    I had a Timex HRM w/chest strap (forgot the model). It worked great and the watch was always able to get the transmission from the chest strap. It had an alarm you could set for your low/high HR so if you know you're supposed to be at 120 BPM low end and 150 BPM high end, it would beep to let you know you're not in your "target range."
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    Polar FT4 for me and I love it..!
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Polar FT4 for me and I love it..!
    Does the FT4 come with a chest strap? If so, can you always get a reading on your watch or do you have to use sweat/gel?? TIA