Foods you love, but can't afford?

i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
I just went into the fridge and grabbed a hearts of palm...I thought, "gee, I would like to eat a couple jars of this per day."
Problem for me is the price.

It got me thinking, what foods do you wish you could eat more of, but are too expensive to do so with?

Here is my list (all happen to be favorite foods of mine):
*caviar
*lobster/crabs
*truffle cheese
*hearts of palm

Of course, I can afford to eat in moderation, but gorging every day I cannot.

What are your foods? :bigsmile:

Replies

• cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    king prawns, are £6/7 for a portion from the supermarket!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Haha I'm a student so LOADS of things... that and things are really expensive in NZ.

However I'd LOVE:

Fresh crayfish
    Lobster
    Blue cheese
    *Everything expensive in NZ compared to the UK hehe
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Hmm... Now bare in mind these are not all healthy to eat every day, but would if I could:

1. Scallops

2. Sushi and I don't mean crappy California rolls!

3. Lamb

4. Grade b maple syrup- my family goes thru a container like nothing.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    :sweet chilli wrap from Macdonalds! I know not the healthiest but OH MY GOD there gorgeous!!! And in a meal they are abit pricey (doesnt bother me) but id be pooor if i constanty ate them!! :bigsmile:
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Bananas - $14 per kilo since Cyclone Yasi hit last summer.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Japanese persimmons
  • Mucky_Duck
    Mucky_Duck Posts: 73
    Another Kiwi here and adding her moan about the extreme food prices. It's almost getting to expensive to buy fresh fruit and veggies some days!

My love list

- Fresh figs ($3 per fig when in season :( )
    - Salmon fillets
    - Cherries
    - Organic Omaha Ice Cream
    - Butterflied Lamb
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Bananas - $14 per kilo since Cyclone Yasi hit last summer.

agreed, they're about $19/kg at my local supermarket. Makes me sad... fruit salad is just not righ without them!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    fillet steak
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    turkey luncheon meat - 27€/kg (about $ 17.80 (USD) per pound) - it's more expensive here than steak! and actually more expensive than grand cru champagne!)
    plus lots of "luxury" foods like crab legs and lobster
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    fillet steak

Yes, this for sure. We got a free £25 Marks & Spencer voucher for getting Sky TV and we used it to buy Fillet Steak. It was amazing.
  • CynthiaS
    CynthiaS Posts: 208 Member
    I would have these more offten if every thing in guam wasn't an import ugh :/

lamb
    prawns
    clams
    brisket
  • Mucky_Duck
    Mucky_Duck Posts: 73
    I just went into the fridge and grabbed a hearts of palm...I thought, "gee, I would like to eat a couple jars of this per day."
    Problem for me is the price.

I've never had hearts of palm (had to do a bit of a google search actually :P). What do they taste like?
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Another vote for fillet steak here.

I eat very little red meat but I do love a good steak - we only have it once every few monthsa though as it is so expensive!
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Prawns.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Most seafood. Scallops, oysters, crayfish.
  • i love alpro soya items but there quite expensive in the uk and also lean meat is really expensive here i wish all the healthy things were really cheap and the gross fatty stuff like chicken nuggets were obscenely expensive lol
    I think more poeple would be healthier if that was the case.
    x
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Most seafood. Scallops, oysters, crayfish.

ditto, and especially crab...i could quite happily live on crab with the occasional side of caviar, its like savoury popping candy!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Hmm... Now bare in mind these are not all healthy to eat every day, but would if I could:
    1. Scallops
    2. Sushi and I don't mean crappy California rolls!
    3. Lamb
    4. Grade b maple syrup- my family goes thru a container like nothing.

Scallops are really healthy; low in fat, sodium, cals and carbs, and high in protein! We generally have them, or king prawns, or squid once a week. We don't eat meat, so spending £5 - £10 once a week on seafood is probably far less than what we'd spend on meat. Maple syrup, while quite costly (around £5.50 for 330g), lasts us ages because I tend to only use it for dressings and marinades, or rarely, pancakes, so I tend to keep a bottle of it in my spice cupboard.

Have you tried making sushi? It's really easy, although time-consuming, and you can control what goes into it, so can make it as healthy as you like.

I was going to include figs on my list but actually, since they are generally pretty poor and tasteless by the time they get to the UK, I'm not sure it's worth including them....unless it's because of the airfare to go to Italy or Turkey in order to have them fresh! :laugh:

These are the things I'd like to have a little more than I do now, although not all the time because I think they'd lose their charm:

~~ White truffles - these are a super-luxury. I make do with black summer truffles but although delicious, they're not the same.
    ~~ Lobster - pretty expensive here in the UK, so definitely a treat!
    ~~ 25 year old balsamic vinegar
    ~~ Valrhona chocolate - OK, I haven't actually eaten chocolate since I started on MFP, however I could be tempted by this, especially the white!
    ~~ Barolo - OK, it's wine, not food but nevertheless at around £20 a bottle, it's more luxury than not!

I'm sorry to hear that bananas are so expensive elsewhere - here they're still around $1 a kilo, although they have gone up in price recently from 52p to 68p a kilo.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I don't really like 'posh' food, caviar, lobster etc, but I do like a good bit of cow, preferably from my local Argentine steak house, and generally food that is better quality than you get in cheapo supermarkets.
This discussion has been closed.