not losing --- someone please explain

Options
So.....
On 6/28 I hit my low weight of 125.5. Up to this point, I was losing about one pound per week. Since then (almost 4 weeks ago), I have been stuck. Actually stuck may not be the right word as I gained and now fluctuate between 126.5 and 127. WTF????

Let me say that I am almost always at or under my calorie goal. Since hitting this plateau, I have tried to eat back exercise calories (I wasn't doing that before) and have changed my exercise routine (added a new cardio element to the routine and added strength training with 3 lb weights). I now exercise about 4-5 times per week at about 90-120 minutes each day (typically burning about 600-700 calories per day). My calorie limit is 1200.

How is this possible???

My scale won't budge --- my inches haven't changed either. I'm sure that I am getting stronger and my heart is healthier because of the cardio, but geez how is this physically possible???? Wouldn't I be toning or something? But NOTHING!!! I'm starting to get grumpy and discouraged.

I realize that I am at a healthy weight, however, I still have fat to lose. Could someone please explain this craziness and/or provide me with a few suggestions to get over this hump????? Help!

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Change your setting to 1/2 pound a week.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Some fluctuation day to day is expected, so I wouldn't get too worried about that. As you say, you're now at a healthy weight, so any further loss is going to be slow and hard-fought. I'd do a bit more strength training (and work at increasing your weights) and drop the cardio a bit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So.....
    On 6/28 I hit my low weight of 125.5. Up to this point, I was losing about one pound per week. Since then (almost 4 weeks ago), I have been stuck. Actually stuck may not be the right word as I gained and now fluctuate between 126.5 and 127. WTF????

Let me say that I am almost always at or under my calorie goal. Since hitting this plateau, I have tried to eat back exercise calories (I wasn't doing that before) and have changed my exercise routine (added a new cardio element to the routine and added strength training with 3 lb weights). I now exercise about 4-5 times per week at about 90-120 minutes each day (typically burning about 600-700 calories per day). My calorie limit is 1200.

How is this possible???

My scale won't budge --- my inches haven't changed either. I'm sure that I am getting stronger and my heart is healthier because of the cardio, but geez how is this physically possible???? Wouldn't I be toning or something? But NOTHING!!! I'm starting to get grumpy and discouraged.

I realize that I am at a healthy weight, however, I still have fat to lose. Could someone please explain this craziness and/or provide me with a few suggestions to get over this hump????? Help!

with less than 15lbs to lose it is important to only have a small caloric deficit, or you risk slowing your metabolism. I would suggest a 0.5lbs/week at the most, and to eat back your exercise calories (if they are calculated correctly), if you are using the machine or MFP estimate I would suggest eating back 50-75% of the calories. You may also want to increase the weight you are doing for strength training. Aim for 8 to 15 reps, if you can do 15 or more without the last 3 being difficult you need to increase the weight.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    as you are a healthy weight you need to be eating and only just below maintenance level...set your goals at 1/2lb a week max
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Maybe get your percentage fat calculated? Maybe you are already at your ideal weight?
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    So.....

How is this possible???

with less than 15lbs to lose it is important to only have a small caloric deficit, or you risk slowing your metabolism. I would suggest a 0.5lbs/week at the most, and to eat back your exercise calories (if they are calculated correctly), if you are using the machine or MFP estimate I would suggest eating back 50-75% of the calories. You may also want to increase the weight you are doing for strength training. Aim for 8 to 15 reps, if you can do 15 or more without the last 3 being difficult you need to increase the weight.

This guy is right....You cant expect, when you dont have as much fat, to be able to lose as much weight. Drop down to .5 a week loss. Eat more (dont binge, obviously)...I've recommended to a couple friends with this problem (aka scared to eat more than 1200 calories) that they should first start increasing their protein. Eat more chicken, salmon, etc. Also, as I tell everyone....DROP your scale at this point....Grab a measuring tape and start seeing your body movement there. A number is just a number, but think of it this way...you can be a lean 130 and fit in the same jeans as a 120 pound person because it comes down to your body, not a scale number.
  • MaggieWatson
    Options
    oh this is annoying :S

hmmm i would have a little refeed to push my metabolism.
    eat 2000-2500 calories/day for 3 days. exercise as usual or maybe a little more if you're afraid to gain a pound.
    after that switch to 1200cals again.
    should work :)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions! I have changed my settings to 1/2 pound per week --- now I am "allowed" to eat 1460 calories. I have also adjusted the goals so that my protein levels were increased. Maybe I will try to develop a menu because I think getting in that much protein might take some thought. High protein and high fiber....this is going to be interesting!

Maybe I will eat higher calories for the next few days, as suggested, and then kick this plan into full gear on Monday.

Thanks again!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You need to do more strength training... a routine with 3 lbs weights isn't going to get you the results you are looking for.

You also may want to look into zig zagging your calories. search the MFP forum for more info and you can use a free zig zag schedule calculator at www.freedieting.com

good luck.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    weights strength training might be something to look into if you are trying to trim the fat. IDK I am not at your point which BTW TOTALLY AWESOME that you made it to your goal!!! Look around the site, there are other questions that were asked like yours and many other opinions. I Hope you make it to your new goal and report back so we can cheer about it.