Issues with my foot... help?

Options
Hello MFP! I have never posted on these forums before, so please excuse my lack of know-how. I have been working out on/off for the last 9 months or so to get ready for my upcoming wedding. I have not been a consistent MFP member, but keep coming back for more because it works!

I ran into a little problem with my left foot about two months back where I thought I broke my toe (and had no idea how I did it). the pain eventually subsided, but did not go away completely. Well, I ran/walked an 8.5 mile race this past weekend and now my foot hurts again... BAD.

Suggestions/ideas of what it could be and how to fix?

Replies

• AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain? Does it feel tight? Burning? Ache?
  • vanillafrosting
    vanillafrosting Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I move my big toe, the pain starts on top of the big toe in the joint. It goes all the way back on that bone and in the muscle, at least that is what it feels like. The main point of pain is actually midway up my foot, between the big toe and second toe bones. It's more tender/achy than a tightness or burning. It also hurts when I put awkward pressure on it- I am doing INSANITY and when I am doing kicks, etc it will hurt then as well.
  • katelyn002
    katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey lady, have checked your sneakers? Do you tie them to tight?

I know I thought if i tied my shoes tighter then i wouldnt have blisters so it would be better....

This resulted in my toes tingling and hurting and my arches having the worst pain...

I now, tie them normally and not tight and im not having the problem...

:happy:
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Google turf toe
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i as well was going to mention your shoes and how tight they were...your feet actually swell and can cause the pain you are experiencing...you might have a bit of tendonitits as well since you did break your toe.

i would first try to loosen your shoes up and go for a run and see how it feels.

good luck to you and your upcoming wedding!
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sounds sort of like Plantar Fasciitis. See the web md site below for more information. There are stretches that you can do before exercises and other helps (shoes, braces that help stretch, etc.) as well. I hope it feels better soon..

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-topic-overview
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have bad shoes! I just got shin splints from working out too hard on the treadmill and have since learned a lot about athletic shoes. My new pair should be delivered today.

The three basic types are neutral, stability and motion control. You might want to look at a New Balance stability shoe - they're reported to have a larger toe box than other shoes. Here's their catalog page of stability shoes:
    http://www.shopnewbalance.com/category.asp?type=WMFT&filterType=Stability

Order them through Amazon to save $$...

Otherwise, go see a podiatrist. S/he can help you find the right shoes and orthotic inserts (if you need them).

Can ya tell I've had a lot of trouble with my feet? :-)
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Google turf toe

I agree - sounds like turf toe. Try taking some anti-inflammatories (Advil, Aleve, Ibuprophen, etc) and give the running a rest until this subsides. Try other options like swimming, biking, or elliptical, anything that avoids the constant impact on the ball of your foot. Good luck!
  • vanillafrosting
    vanillafrosting Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your awesome advice!! I am going to start googling and tying my shoes more loose. It could definitely be that I'm making them too tight!!