Friend's birthday in a few days & I'm worried about food.

Options
Hiya! Well, like I said, it's my friend's birthday in a few days and I just know that she'll put on a good spread! I'm even helping to bake the cake (and it ain't calorie free, let me tell you!) and then we're all going to a restaurant later on in the evening (and it's a cheese fondue restaurant! CHEESE FONDUE!!!) Needless to say, I'm worried about blowing my diet. I don't want to say "Look, I can't eat your food" because I don't want to hurt her feelings or appear rude. Oh, and portion control is always hard with party food! Lol, any tips would be greatly appreciated! :D

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you can, get some exercise in early in the day to earn some extra calories. Eat something about an hour before you go so you're not hungry, make sure it's got lots of protein to keep you full. Then have a major heart-to-heart with yourself. You CAN resist going back for 2nds, 3rds, etc. Just have a small taste of what looks good and be happy with it. Same goes at the fondue restaurant. Try one bite of each dipping thing and call it good.

Not sure if this day includes alcohol, but if so, be careful there. Not only are there calories but getting buzzed will very likely lower your ability to keep yourself in check with eating. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water during the day.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Exercise earlier in the day, drink half a lake in water (kidding! but seriously, drink a lot of water) go enjoy yourself at your friend's party....get up the next day, exercise, drink water, and eat well. :)
  • weezerj22
    weezerj22 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's her birthday! You aren't going to have any fun if you're obsessing over the calories in everything! Just be a little bit stricter a few days before + after, and just try + enjoy the day! xx
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    one day of eating not so great wont throw you off completely. just try to make the healthiest choice. we're having an early bday party today for my almost one year old (military and we have 2 friends moving this month and wont be here for her bday) and we're doing pizza and cake lol...so yeah i understand completely. i have a bad day atleast once a week, and ive steadily been losing a pound a week.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    The very fact that you are thinking about this in advance shows you can cope with this.
    Have fun, try not to obsess, it's just one meal out of a year of meals and it will all average out. You can do this! :happy: