just curious.....

Options
I was just looking at my goal settings. How many of you have your settings automatically set and how many manually. I have been and have seen several people on here discouraged because of slow weight loss and i am wondering if this plays a part. I have mine manually set at 1250 (not including exercise calories) the auto setting wants to set mine at like 1780 a day. That seems high to me and I am not sure if I could force myself to even come close to that a day.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Mine have always been set by MFP.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I modified my calorie intake and my percentages for carbs, proteins, fats, and sodium. I am not suggesting that I am smarter than MFP or know better about what I am doing. But I researched different info and wanted to set my goals for these items to be better improvements (less sodium, less carbs, more protein, etc) than what MFP recommended.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did both. I use the calorie count suggested by MFP (which, for my current goals is 1640) and manually changed my protein/carb/fat/sodium goals.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Have always used the MFP settings personally.
  • kdancey
    kdancey Posts: 1
    Options
    I always use MFP and have had success from their plan.
  • jalemap
    jalemap Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. We have to find what works best for ourselves as we are all different. I set my goat at 1,200 calories per day. I need to go back and lower my carbs and raise my protein.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I manually set mine higher than what MFP suggested. They had me at 1200 per day and according to my BMR, it should have been around 1400. So, that is what I changed on mine. We will see if that works. I know the first week on here, I lost 2 lbs on the 1200 per day, but was actually eating around 1600 per day.

Of course that is with exercising daily. I usually do close to an hour of exercise - 30 mins of cardio and then 30 mins strength training or yoga.

You could change it if you feel like you want to. If it works .. great! If not .. no worries, just change it back! :) Everyone is different and thus will loose weight differently!

Best Wishes!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I changed mine. Started out using the 1 pound per week standard but with 1600+ calories per day, I wasn't losing after a couple weeks. So I compared the calories I had on WW (old plan, 50 calories per point) and reset my calorie goal to 1280 and that kickstarted my weight loss and has kept me going since early April.

I'm doing a better now with planning and weekends so I'm thinking about upping my calories a bit but at the time, I needed the extra wiggle room for those days that I went over calories.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    MFP set mine.
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    Mine have always been set by MFP.

this.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do a manual setting... I use BMR with activity factor equations that include my Body Fat % for normal regular daily activities... then I use my HRM to calculate my exercise cals....

I like to cross reference my goal setting with more than one bmr/rmr equation and take an average. I'll change my goals everytime I have a major body change
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    mine was auto until recently, and now i am losing. It was 1,200 calories on auto, but I brought it down to 850 (although I go up to 1,000 without guilt).
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Manual. MFP had me undereating, which is where my problem started in the first place. Just upped it again, in fact, to 1650 because I was losing too fast.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Manual. MFP had me undereating, which is where my problem started in the first place.

Ditto this. For some reason, MFP's numbers would have had me eating ridiculously low calories.. I had to increase them somewhere around 400/day. This was when I was still losing weight.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I manually set mine after having my metabolism tested. All my strength training resulted in a high percentage of muscle and a much higher than expected metabolism :noway:

I also manually changed my ratios to add more protein as my sports physiologist recommended.

As soon as I added calories I started losing again!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    mine was auto until recently, and now i am losing. It was 1,200 calories on auto, but I brought it down to 850 (although I go up to 1,000 without guilt).

1200 is the minimum you should eat, in order to maintain normal body function. Anything less than that is unhealthy.

As for me, I use MFP for my calorie goal, but I set my macros myself.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've lost the bulk of my weight (no pun intended) following MFP's automatic recommendations. Though now that I'm shifting focus from weight loss to muscle building I'll be tinkering with the numbers based on the fitness nutrition texts I'm reading.