Olive oil - vegetables

Options
jalysons
jalysons Posts: 73 Member
Hi,

I am looking to reduce calories in side dishes like mushroom, green beans, etc that I normally saute in olive oil. Any suggestions to have taste and reduce olive oil?

Thanks

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I love spices.

I put garlic or Mrs Dash with all my veggies!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I guess you could probably try margarine? Or Light Italian dressing? I stick with a bit of olive oil for the flavor, and the good fat, but you could use less and maybe use Pam or something with it.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sautee them in a bit of water and let the natural flavour of the vegetables come out! Or get light olive oil if you really like the taste of a bit of oil on them.
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    Options
    I use Pam Olive oil non stick spray. It works ( especially for mushrooms) and adds 0 calories
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Leave the oil and just use a smaller portion. It may have calories but they're GOOD for you.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I prefere a little canola oil for cooking.

Mushrooms dont need much fat, if you put a lid on them and a dash of water or white wine, they'll saute in their own juices.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    try steaming with dill.... love it on green beans and carrots. Not sure about mushrooms... I'm not a fan....
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've sauteed veggies in organic chicken broth. Just a few tablespoons in the pan is enough.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I use chicken broth to steam or saute them and i also picked up an spray pump for oils i can put whatever oi i bought in it. it coats the pan and doesnt add near as much calories as just pouring it in.
  • geri50
    geri50 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try a tb spoon of your favorite low fat low salt salad dressing.....