Twins = Tummy Flap. Ab exercises?

Options
Bahaha. Yes, you read that right. I had twins and now my stomach looks like a buckled road. I've been doing reverse crunches and bicycle crunches... Is there anything else I should do?

In addition, I'm doing the 30day shred.

I'm pretty positive it won't go 100% away, but I'd like to minimize the...flap. :grumble:

Replies

• nicoleleigh33
    Options
    I love the P90X Ab workout!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Jillian's 6 pack in 6 weeks workout is a great one! also planks, planks, planks. unfortunately stretched skin may not snap back buy you can definitely smooth it over ;)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Do you have weights? A really good one - lay on the floor; hold weights above your head (like you are about to do bench presses); lift legs to the weights; back down; hold above floor for 5sec; back up the weights. Do 2-3 reps of 10....You'll feel it.

Google/ You Tube: Floor Sweepers

Also: Planks!! Planks work your entire body and hone in on the core. Hold for min 30sec and build up. Great ab work out!!
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    I don't think ab exercises are necessarily going to help your tummy flap. I have one too after my pregnancy, but it has slowly been going away as I have lost weight. Your abs are only going to show through when you have a low % body fat and you can't spot reduce your fat, so the best thing to do is to work on overall weightloss in my opinion. As you drop body fat, the flap should get smaller, at least it has in my experience.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Mine looks the same too lol...I also have twins, 2 girls and also a 2yr old toddler. Sounds like we are kind of in the same boat :bigsmile:

I try to do a lot of cardio but I don't think my loose skin on my stomach will go away completely...along with the stretch marks :sad: Maybe it'll get less but I think I might have a small tummy tuck if it stays the same.

Congrats to you on your babies and also staying strong :drinker:
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    www.randomabs.com

they have (you guessed it!) random ab workouts for everyday. just check back once a day (I also believe they have it listed for the week). They even have a video to show you how, text to read about it, and a picture. so NO EXCUSES!! ;)

best of luck! :)
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Find a heavyish weight (plate weight or heavy dumbell).. standing feet hip width, take that weight in both hands start at your hips and drive that weight straight up over your heade till your arms are at your ears... use your hip to help swing that weight up, and make sure when you get to the top your feeling it in your core... I noticed BIG changes when I added this to my circuit :)
  • evaellie
    evaellie Posts: 5
    Options
    hold r ur twins? u dont want to be doing any ab exercises is they are under 1 year old as this can lead to your abs splitting and its almost impossible to get them to come back in.

ur best to do cardio work to bring ur body fat down, if they are over a year old then the plank is the best exercise to be doing to bring ur tummy in. crunches and stuff can cause ur abs to push out as they develop so if there is any body fat there then it will just push it out and u may feel u r putting on more weight.

i am a personal trainer and this is best way i have found whilst training clients.

hope it helps.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Mine looks the same too lol...I also have twins, 2 girls and also a 2yr old toddler. Sounds like we are kind of in the same boat :bigsmile:

I try to do a lot of cardio but I don't think my loose skin on my stomach will go away completely...along with the stretch marks :sad: Maybe it'll get less but I think I might have a small tummy tuck if it stays the same.

I have 3 month Boy/Girl twins and a 2 year old Boy! Definitely same boat! lol I've given up on the stretchmarks. :laugh:
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    hold r ur twins? u dont want to be doing any ab exercises is they are under 1 year old as this can lead to your abs splitting and its almost impossible to get them to come back in.

ur best to do cardio work to bring ur body fat down, if they are over a year old then the plank is the best exercise to be doing to bring ur tummy in. crunches and stuff can cause ur abs to push out as they develop so if there is any body fat there then it will just push it out and u may feel u r putting on more weight.

i am a personal trainer and this is best way i have found whilst training clients.

hope it helps.

I was given the go-ahead to start abs back up. I'm 14 weeks post-partum. Never heard of planks, I'll have to look into those.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I have b/g twins too. They are 4 y/o. I don't think all the extra skin will ever go away unless surgery is done. But hoping it will be minimized.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I have 3 month Boy/Girl twins and a 2 year old Boy! Definitely same boat! lol I've given up on the stretchmarks. :laugh:

That is too funny that they are so close in age...my twins are 6 months and my son is 2 also...Do you get the same question...how can you do it? LOL I think we have Tons of strength and for some reason it just feels like second nature to have them. :happy:
  • Kimmy546
    Kimmy546 Posts: 102
    Options
    Try Planks or Planking that is what my PT recomends. Done correctly is suppose to equal 200 crunches.:drinker:
  • devilwhiterose
    Options

That is too funny that they are so close in age...my twins are 6 months and my son is 2 also...Do you get the same question...how can you do it? LOL I think we have Tons of strength and for some reason it just feels like second nature to have them. :happy:

My all-time favorite line is..."It looks like you have your hands full!" We cause stares and conversation everywhere we go. :laugh: I love it though. Once I got into the groove and routine early on of dozens of diapers, bottles, laundry...it really is second nature. I'm glad I got the two-for-one deal. We are DONE with babies! :laugh:
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 month old and 26 month old and people say all the time "boy you have your hands full". lol They would probably poop themselves if they saw you guys with twins. I suffer also from what I call stretch mark pie. Cause to me the flap of skin looks like a pie crust. It's gotten A LOT better since i started working out, not abs exercises but just weight loss. I was doing Just dance and walking as a workout now i'm going the Insanity workout and it's going away for me.
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My b/g twins are 2 and I'm still fighting the "flap". It has gone down as I have lost weight, but now there's just the loose skin that isn't going to go anywhere without surgery.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    My b/g twins are 2 and I'm still fighting the "flap". It has gone down as I have lost weight, but now there's just the loose skin that isn't going to go anywhere without surgery.

True that, the excess skin is here to stay. At least with toning and losing weight they are nothing more than extra skin. I still have some ways to go though.
  • evaellie
    evaellie Posts: 5
    Options
    devilwhiterose

have a wee look into splitting abs as although it might not affect everyone, it can happen and something that may never be able to be fixed x