How did you know?

Options
suz74
suz74 Posts: 77 Member
This may be a silly question but how did you decide on your target weight? I'm 5ft 9in and have gone for 146lbs, I'm medium frame. About 13 yrs ago I went to Scottish Slimmers and they set it at 145lbs. I'm now 37 and with about 10lbs to go I'm really focussing on fitness levels and getting toned. Do you think I'm about right? Thanks Suz :-)

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I think thats about right. I'm 5ft 91/2 and my goal weight is 154. I got there last autumn and I looked lean and toned at that weight.
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and frame...at first I shot for 145 but know that I am close to that range I have lowered it to 135, because I was 145 in high school and was still never really comfortable with my weight. So basically if you get down to that weight and you are comfortable stay there! If not keep going!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question but how did you decide on your target weight? I'm 5ft 9in and have gone for 146lbs, I'm medium frame. About 13 yrs ago I went to Scottish Slimmers and they set it at 145lbs. I'm now 37 and with about 10lbs to go I'm really focussing on fitness levels and getting toned. Do you think I'm about right? Thanks Suz :-)

I decided on my target weight because it's a weight that I look and feel good at and have found fairly easy to maintain recently (within 5 years).

That said, I think target weights should be somewhat fluid. Your weight, within a certain range at least, doesn't dictate your health, energy level, appearance or anything else. Many of us have experienced ourselves that we can be several sizes at the same weight depending on the type and amount of exercise we're maintaining and the composition of our diets, for example. So the weight is always somewhat arbitrary.

If I were you, I'd try to think more in terms of a target range. So perhaps something more like 140-150. See how you look and feel as you approach that range and then readjust your goals. You may find that you still want 145 as your goal, but you may also find that 145 isn't really right for you. Try not to get too hung up on the scale number and instead focus on how you look and feel and whether you feel you can sustain it.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm a touch under 5'9" and I have put my ultimate goal at 140lbs, although I'd be happy with 145 as that was my lightest. However 140 would be better for me if I can maintain it as I ride, and because of my hight I am quite limited, however being lighter means that I can still compete in what I enjoy on horses that can easily carry me.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    pie in the sky number. I'm 5'10 and I chose 150 because...it sounded like an acheivable weight, that would loose the yuck, but look healthy. However it' not et in stone, I may find myself raising or lowering that depending on how I feel. Basically, I know what I want to look like, but I guessed the weight that would achieve it.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It looks like they were trying to place your BMI in the middle of the healthy range (21.4). I agree with everyone else. Aim for a healthy BMI (under 25.0) and stop where you feel heathy and content with your body.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I know there are all different types of bodies out there - leaner, muscular, etc. I just googled ideal weight for height and found a chart. For my 5'-5.5" height, my range is 115-140. I would be REALLY happy with 140 but I haven't been that since Junior year of High School so I just made mine more realistic at 150. WHEN I get to 150 :-), if I still want to try for 140, I will. I think it is great that you are focusing on your fitness level - it isn't so much about the scale as it is about a healthier, happier YOU!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I asked my doc. She said 180 would be good for me. My Wii Fit says I should be 150. PAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! My wife would divorce me if I got that skinny.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" but my breasts are large even skinny. When I weighed 140lb you could see my hip bones. I think I will be happy at 160lb and if not well I will go down from there as long as I stay in the healthy BMI. I would say pick something you think sounds good in the healthy range and then adjust from there.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Loosely based on BMI. I know it's not perfect or accurate, I just needed a general range to shoot for.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 1/2" When i dropped over 80 lbs a couple years back after having my son, I went down to about 125lb i was too thin and my skin was saggy on my legs. ew. So i went up to 133lb and i felt better and my boobs reappeared. Now i want to get to 135lb but i am ok with my weight right now at about 145 i just want to get rid of the cellulite so i am toning and building muscle to hopefully fill in the areas that need it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    BMI, as crap as it is, tells me 159 is the top of the "healthy" range for my height and getting to 158 would mean I've lost 100 pounds total so I'm going wtih 158 as a goal. I think I might be able to get closer to 150, maybe even a few pounds less but the last time I was anywhere near there, I was a teenager and nowhere near as athletic as I am now so we'll wait and see Once I get to 158, I think I'll be pretty happy and will work on maintaining and toning and if I lose more, even better.
  • suz74
    suz74 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, really helpful to read all your comments :-)