Better eating habits

Options
Eating healthy is a challenge for almost all of us. Many times we tend to give in to temptation. Take away the temptation and you will find your eating habits change. Look in your refrigerator and cabinets. What percent of your food is processed? Look in your freezer, how many boxes are in there? Our society is based on convenience, the faster the better. Daily we run into many choices. Should we grill some chicken or toss a hot pocket in the microwave?

We all get hungry and tend to grab the most convenient item we can find. The decision making isn’t the problem. The problem is the choices to choose from. To create and extreme example: A burglar breaks into your home and you have a gun or a knife for protection. You will choose the weapon that will satisfy your needs of safety. When it comes to food, you will choose the food that will satisfy your needs of hunger.

Here’s a simple solution…

Purchase foods that force healthy eating habits. You can’t eat bad foods if they are not accessible. When you get hungry you should have two choices, grab something healthy or don’t eat. The not eating option will hopefully turn into you scheduling time in your day to prepare your meals, so you can snack on the go.

Try going to the grocery store and purchase foods that are priced by weight. If your shopping cart is filled only with food in clear plastic baggies, take a bow.

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't grow, walk, swim or fly it's not going to be very good for you.... eat it in moderation....
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    To never be around temptation is of course the ideal situation. But look at the temptations facing us every day. Every where you drive you pass a fast food restaurant. Every aisle you take in the supermarket hosts one "bad" food item, even the fruit and veggie section!

Of course it's a choice. Of course we all have the ability to say "no." But it's not as simple as that.

We're human, and we're not perfect, and we're just trying to do the best we can.

Me, for example, I work at a pizza/deli place and their are almost no healthy options to eat there. Of course I could pack my own dinner, and bring it there, which I do sometimes, but that's a lot more extra work/time that I don't have considering I'm a full time student. Am I going to starve myself because I have no healthy options? No, I'm going to eat what I feel like eating and control my portions sizes.

The main goal for healthy eating isn't ALWAYS eating healthy and ALWAYS making the best choices. It's learning how to balance your diet and eat the right portion sizes.

Life isn't about restricting and forcing yourself to eat raw vegetables all the time. You're supposed to enjoy what you're eating and take pleasure from it.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Online food shopping has been a Godsend to me. I do it once a week after lunch - if I do it quickly in one sitting I can totally avoid any temptation to buy crap!

I still buy treats for the OH but I buy him things I know wont tempt me.

I like to see my meat before I buy (so I pick that up separately) but I do tend to buy fruit, veg and salad online, I also stock up on things like hummus / low cal crackers so I have some snacks for myself.

I have a very virtuous shopping trolley every week even if I do say so myself LOL!
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    To never be around temptation is of course the ideal situation. But look at the temptations facing us every day. Every where you drive you pass a fast food restaurant. Every aisle you take in the supermarket hosts one "bad" food item, even the fruit and veggie section!

Of course it's a choice. Of course we all have the ability to say "no." But it's not as simple as that.

We're human, and we're not perfect, and we're just trying to do the best we can.

Me, for example, I work at a pizza/deli place and their are almost no healthy options to eat there. Of course I could pack my own dinner, and bring it there, which I do sometimes, but that's a lot more extra work/time that I don't have considering I'm a full time student. Am I going to starve myself because I have no healthy options? No, I'm going to eat what I feel like eating and control my portions sizes.

The main goal for healthy eating isn't ALWAYS eating healthy and ALWAYS making the best choices. It's learning how to balance your diet and eat the right portion sizes.

Life isn't about restricting and forcing yourself to eat raw vegetables all the time. You're supposed to enjoy what you're eating and take pleasure from it.

so eating crappy all the time is ok as long as it is portion size are ok?

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!
  • sarhannboardman
    Options

It doesn't really take that much time to toss some carrots or other heatthy snacks into a bag and take them with you. That’s pure laziness if you ask me. I'm sorry, but that's just an excuse you are using not to eat healthy. I’m a full-time student, work full-time too, workout 5/days a week at bootcamp, play softball 2 nights a week, and still find time to make a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner...OH, and I manage to get 6-7 hours of sleep a night and find time for family and friends.... SO, if you really wanted to be healthy you would make a lifestyle change and stop making excuses to yourself.

I agree with Keinanbriggs…I cleaned out my cabinets at home and my desk at work, filled them with healthier foods so I knew that when I needed a snack, I wouldn’t be tempted to eat junk. I cook chicken on Sundays, put them in baggies as well as make snack baggies of vegetables. That way I can grab and go in the mornings and not have any reason not to eat healthy throughout the day.