Droping pounds WITHOUT the gym

Options
Wondering if anyone here has lost 30 or more pounds with out ever hitting the gym? If so what workouts would u recommend? I have a treadmill and I typically enjoy jillian micheals videos but im open to any suggestions that dont require a gym membership as my families budget can not include one at this time. Help please! Thanks guys!

Replies

• DakotaCowboyMom
    Options
    I love doing pilates videos and walk away the pounds videos. Both are very effective. I should rephrase that I guess I don't love doing them but I see results in a short time so I am able to stick with doing them.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 40 pounds doing free stuff - walking, running, cycling and a few exercise routines on (free) iPhone apps.
    I do highly recommend spending money on good shoes (and a well fitting bra for the ladies) but apart from those items, you don't NEED to outlay money on gym memberships, DVDs, HRM etc. They are nice to have but definitely not essential.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone here has lost 30 or more pounds with out ever hitting the gym? If so what workouts would u recommend? I have a treadmill and I typically enjoy jillian micheals videos but im open to any suggestions that dont require a gym membership as my families budget can not include one at this time. Help please! Thanks guys!

I lost about 30 before joining a gym. I did C25K, used my Aero Pilates reformer and walked.

I had, but did not use, a few pairs of dumbbells that I have here. you can do an amazing variety of both upper and lower body exercises with them. Jumping rope is cheap and a great cardio exercise. Bodyweight resistance exercises are also very effective in the beginning.
  • valeri223
    valeri223 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I walk at a local park and used a pedometer, and have had great success!
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight without going to the gym once. I walk whenever I can.
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite lost 30 lbs (29 as of today), but I have not stepped foot in a gym at all. I'm thinking about joining one now, but for the past 11 weeks, I've been doing non-gym work outs. Generally, I rotate between Zumba, Tae Bo and Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. Also, on my down time, my boyfriend and I ride our bikes and play tennis.

Best of luck to you!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Since I started running with my local club (£35 membership for the YEAR!!!) I've only been going to the gym once a week - I'll probably go more when the weather gets cold but meanwhile loving running outside!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym. I hate seeing naked women in the locker rooms, the ones that never make any attempt to cover up.

I have a treadmill and recumbant bike at home. I have a few fun videos. But most importantly, I have my ice skates.

Netflix is a good tool for renting exercise videos to try before you buy.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

All of my 40 pounds i have done on here with just walking, swimming and running.. none of it at the gym..(not in the budget right now for me) I like the walking and running because I can do it pretty much anywhere and I don't have to wait on anyone, push anyone but myself... plus i get to listen to my music without a bunch of chatter :)

I also have been doing alot of crunches, sit ups, push ups and squats.
    Hope this helps.
    D
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    I've lost 67 lbs since my pregnancy and not once have I been in the gym. I started with C25K and now I run and Zumba. Clothes fit better every day! Like others, if you are running, I do recommend a good pair of shoes!
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Working on losing the weight gym free. Personally I think most of the weight fight is won or lost in the kitchen, the rest of the time keep moving! Most importantly, find something you LOVE to do and keep doing it. :)

TT
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Add some basic weights, or bands, do lots of weight training. Also do those exercises without equipment: squats, push-ups, pull-ups (if you get a pull-up bar), lunges, etc. 2-3 times a week weight training!
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    My wife lost 80lbs, and I about 60lbs, just watching what we eat and using an elliptical we bought around boxing sales week.

You have a treadmill which could work in much the same way. You just have to be dedicated with using it and eating right.
  • BigBadVooDooBob
    Options
    I've started ridng a bike first thing in the morning. I get up earlier 3 days a week and cover 6 miles. I live in a rural area, so that is a trip around the block for me. I've just started doing this, so 6 miles is good, but I want to improve my speed and endurance. The nice part about a bike is you can stop pedalling for a bit and still be moving towards your destination.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hand weights? I think you can get used weights at Good Will etc.
    If you have one near by, some people like "mall walking".
    The public Library could have fitness books with good ideas...:tongue:
  • jamiefire7
    jamiefire7 Posts: 50
    Options
    I love to hike!! I live very close to some great trails and will head out for a day trip. It is a great calorie burner and beautiful all at the same time. Bike riding is a great workout. Sometimes I will go to the high school and run the stairs on the football field. Walking, jogging and swimming are great ideas too. Sooooo many options without a gym membership (although I do love my gym :)) Good Luck!!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i lost almost 40 pounds without exercise, just healthy eating.
    i have since added walking and simple calisthenics at home every other day. Nothing fancy.

in fact i have found i lose more when my exercise is moderate than when it is ramped up *L*
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight....it was 60 pds in five months. All I did was watched what I ate, walked for 45 minutes 4-5 days a week, and did some situps and light hand weights.

This time I'm doing walking, walk/jog intervals, Tony Hortons Power 90 videos and tracking my food. I've only lost 16 pds so far, but haven'tt been very consistant......but I'm already changing that! I want to be at my goal by the end of the year.

Feel free to add me :D

PS Yes, I agree shoes and a good bra are important.....and if you have any thrift store around that sell vhs and dvds, you can often get great workouts videos for $1.00!!!!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 pounds without ever setting foot in the gym.
    I walk an hour pretty much every day. I also ride my bike for an hour. I love being outdoors, so my car pretty much stays parked, except on my 33 mile commute to work.
    I've used Jillian Michaels 30DS. Don't follow it the way diehards do. I use it when I'm bored with the usual, or when I want to throw something extra in. I've also got Billy Blank Tae Bo video.
    I suggest finding something that works for you. Otherwise, you'll never stick with it!
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    On Netflix, SparkPeople.com and my cable's OnDemand, I have workout/dance DVDs that I do with my daughters. I have a 16 month old that I use as my strength training tool, LOL. Like for leg lifts, she'll lay belly down across my barefeet and I lift her about 12 inches off the ground while sucking in my stomach. I hold her flat in my arms and curl her up for kisses. I also do lunges while holding her. I sit her on my knees and do sit-ups. I do yoga with my husband. Go for walks and runs with my 7 & 4 year old. I spend an hour playing tag on the jungle gym. We jump rope. We even play a game called Stink Bug crawls, where we crawl around on the floor chasing each other and when one of them screams "Ah, stink bug!" we stop and do 5 push ups. It's a HUGE hit with my littler ones. My oldest giggles too much and usually falls over LOL.