question for the guys, or those with partners losing weight

Options
My boyfriend has grown up on microwave food and does not have the patience to make food at home. He also works nights and tends to eat gas station food when he is hungry. I am trying to get some ideas for high protein meals he can bring with him, without a fridge, as well as decent prepackaged food. Right now he eats carbs all day!

So far I have thought about cooking chicken breast in advance, making tuna melts, sandwiches, and things for home like low cal soup and yogurt and granola.

So guys, what are other foods you have found to be easy and filling?

Replies

• avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know too! My husband was brought up on microwave food too! He's in the Army so sometime its short lunches, so i bend and buy things like pizza rolls, chicken patties, corn dogs..ect
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl but I use beef jerkey as a good non-refrigerated high protein snack. I like to get the softer stuff because the harder stuff makes me feel like it's going to rip my teeth out, lol.

peanut butter (or other nut-butters) can be ok in moderation. And remember, he's guy, he burns more calories than us naturally.

Nuts - almonds, cashews, etc.

quinoa is a high-protein grain.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My hubby was tired of take out and I found the more I cook the more he's willing to take leftovers for meals.. lol.. just a perk I guess! :tongue:
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Lunchbox. Does the trick just fine. Granted I cook most of my own food and it has been a little more boring after deciding to get my weight under better control.

Still you can make some great stuff, throw it in a lunch box with and ice pack and go to work with far better for you and better tasting food than you'll find in a gas station. I've brought everything to work from a cold version of a stir fry to my own version of wraps and usually just get jealousy from co-workers.

The trick for me is doing all the hard work (baking proteins, washing and portioning fruit and veggies, steaming shrimp) over the weekend so I can mix and match quickly and easily during the week. Besides the lunchbox with ice brick keeps my drinks cold.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I'll often mass produce "frozen lunches"... those flat square Gladware containers are awesome... cook up a bunch of protein (often chicken tenders), make up a bunch of grain (quinoa, cous cous, or brown rice), throw it all in a number of the Gladware containers with frozen veggies. Label. Grab on the way out the door. Insta "frozen microwave" lunch.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I make my husband Soft tacos with the carb chopper tortillas, I make bacon and eggs, sausage and egg, chicken tacos, beef tacos, brisket tacos lol all kinds.. You can make a bunch wrap in foil and put in the freezer. I just write on them with a sharpie what they are. You can add veggies and anything else you want when you warm them up. My husband works shifts at a plant so sometimes he works nights sometimes days and this is really helpful for all meals. Much better then greasy hamburgers and deep fried food.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A Flat Iron flatbread (90 cal), with 4 ounces of chicken, beef, pork, or fish (all pre-cooked). Loaded with peppers, onions, jalepenos, sourcream, cilantro, and a dab of salsa. Super Yum, and my nightly meal, prepared by the Mrs. Takes less than 10 minutes. Put the flatbread in the toaster oven, and sautee the veggies and meat together. Yum!
  • sparadise
    sparadise Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The lunch boxes now days are compact and have a pocket for a flat ice pack to keep food cool. Sandwiches, leftovers, almost anything is better than gas station food. Toss in a granola bar, almonds, an apple or orange, carrots, and even some dip that will get him to eat it. Anything is better then gas station food. Or....Amy's organic frozen meals are pretty good and filling, I like the burritos.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Tcnorman
    Tcnorman Posts: 16
    Options
    Non Refrigerated is harder : Nuts, protein bars, high protein bread, prepackaged tuna or chicken, sunflower seeds etc.

With refrigerator: Cheese, Meats, Fish.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    A good lunch box with an icepack should cover you. They should be able to keep food cool for hours with the righ sized ice pack.

Make extra for dinner, throw it in the lunchbox. Done.
  • BigNathan76
    BigNathan76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm the cook at my house, but in the mornings it's so crazy trying to help get the kids out the door for school I don't have time to fix something "healthy" for myself... Not with three school lunches to fix...

My quick easy fix for lunch at least 4 days a week are the Tyson fully cooked chicken breasts. You get a bag of maybe 10(ish) breasts for around $9 bucks. You can find them in the frozen food section. Sunday night I'll boil eggs, peel them and throw into the fridge. Then every morning as I'm rushing out the door I'll throw a few of the eggs in a ziplock bag with two of the frozen breasts. Breasts are frozen so they keep the eggs cold until I get to them... and around lunch time the breasts(kept in my desk not in a fridge) are mostly defrosted and I'll either eat them cool or zap'em for 30 secs in the microwave...

Not a perfect solution, but it is what it is...
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I suggest the "lunch box" route, I bring a insolated lunch box and could pack it with ice if needed, many do, I eat a lot of chicken and cottage cheese and ground turkey for my lean proteins. If I need it simple I just add tapatillo or salsa to plain chicken for a meal.

Note: Carefull with nuts as they are HIGH calorie per gram of protein due to all of the fats. They are good fats yes but still shouldnt use nuts as a primary source of protein...