FitFlops for walking? Do they work or is it just bunk?

So on my lunch time walk today, I passed a sidewalk sale at an outdoor sporting store. They had FitFlops on sale for $25. I live in my flip flops and wear them walking. So I'm wondering if they really work to tone your bum and legs. Considering I usually wear my flip flops anyway, is it worth the $25 or should I just stick with my $5 walmart cheapies?

Replies

• yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Bump.
  • Jessabelle12
    Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
    I don't know if I can say they tone your bum etc but one thing they do do it help with posture and comfort when walking. My mum has arthritus in her leg and its all she wears now. She cant believe how comfortable they make it when she walks and just does general day to day things in them!
  • khoran45
    khoran45 Posts: 91 Member
    Don't know if they work all that great but they are SUPER COMFORTABLE! Well worth $25!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Call me a skeptic, but I seriously doubt any shoe or pair of pants will help tone. However, if they're comfortable, as others say they are, then go for it. :smile:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    If they make walking in flip flops more comfortable, I say they are worth the $25! I love my flip flops and live in them from the time it hits 40 degrees until the next winter when the snow flies. And there has to be at least 2 or 3 inches of snow before I retire them for the year. :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Do you want them because they are cute? Or do you want them for exercise? If you want them b/c they are cute go for it. But if you want them for exercise, just put that $$ toward a good pair of sneakers. Much better foot and arch support.

I live in my flip flops in the summer, but have gotten very picky about the types I buy. Some have ZERO support (J. Crew - I refuse to buy them anymore) but some of the most expensive ones (like Eliza B) aren't bad and the sole retains it's shape and support.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    I have the exer-fit ones from Earth. I love them because the heal sets lowers than the ball of your foot. If you have lower back pain, this changes your posture and for me at least, relieves the pain. I can walk miles in these flip flops. I do walk 2-3 mi in the park with them when its not so stinking hot outside! I've had them for 3 years now and still in good shape, just hose them off after yard work or wear them to the pool. I think I gave about $40 for them on sale but they seem better made than many brands I've seen.

I don't think they tone though. Just more comfy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I've never tried FitFlops but I had some TheraSandals last year and they seem to be pretty similar. They didn't help with toning anything but they are super comfy and really helped get rid of my Plantar Fascitis pain.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    I'm not familiar with what you're calling fit-flops, but a thousand years ago, or so, Dr. Scholls introduced some that did work. The way they're made makes your toes "grip" when you step thus causing a chain reaction (muscle flexes and stuff) which did firm up legs! Does this help?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    IMO these are right up there with the "toning" exercise pants (Fila)

If they are comfortable (and cute) you've got nothing to lose.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Sounds like just another marketing gimmick to separate you from your money.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    I'm not familiar with what you're calling fit-flops, but a thousand years ago, or so, Dr. Scholls introduced some that did work. The way they're made makes your toes "grip" when you step thus causing a chain reaction (muscle flexes and stuff) which did firm up legs! Does this help?

Sounds like the same thing you get when barefoot or wearing barefoot shoes like Vibram FiveFingers. I love my FiveFingers!
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    they are pretty flipping cute!