Just finished my first 7 Day Juice Fast! Yay me!

Options
I'm not new to juicing - I've been doing it for the past 2 years sporadically - usually just once a day in the morning. But, I've been wanting to do a juice fast for a long time and a documentary that my fiance and I watched together inspired us to give it a go! So we took a trip to Whole Foods and stocked up on organic fruits and veggies! The cost averaged out at $20 per person per day .

For 7 days we juiced - I averaged about 90-100 ounces a day of freshly juiced fruits and vegetables plus 32 ounces of coconut water plus another 48-68 ounces of mineral water. I also had around 2 Tablespoons of Organic Acacia Fiber and 2 Tablespoons of Organic Ground Flax everyday too. My caloric intake averaged about 1200 a day and I tracked my protein to make sure I was getting enough and I did from all the green, leafy veggis.

I was a little apprehensive going in -- I thought I would not have any energy - quite the contrary - I was on a high all 7 days and it was a lot easier to stick to than I thought, but I also think that has something to do with already liking freshly juiced vegetables! I did crave white, fluffy carbs the first 2 days and then dairy and eggs the last 2, but the 3 days in between were lovely. I had my moments of weakness in the last 2 days, but I stuck it out! I broke out the first couple days, but now my skin is clear. I slept amazingly all 7 nights!!

I lost 5 pounds in 7 days (3 pounds the first 3 days and 2 pounds the last 4). My jeans that were tight last week need to be pulled up constantly this week! My fiance lost 9 pounds in 7 days and is now at his goal weight - sometimes I hate men!!

My food diary has all my juice recipes for the last 7 days, so feel free to check it out. I feel great today - I broke my fast today with delicious rainier cherries for breakfast followed by a spinach omelet! Food never tasted so good!! :)

Replies

• SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I just watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix last night and what an eye opener. I am fortunate I do not have any significant health issues....just the usual sore knees and that sort of thing from lugging all this extra baggage around. I woke up this morning and Juiced my breakfast (baby spinach, apples and mango) and for lunch I'm not juicing but stuck with veggies because I think I still need to chew on something...but I'm working my way up to a full out Juice Cleans Detox. I think this is exactly what my body needs.

Congratulations on your 7 Day Juice Fast. What day was the hardest day?
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I've never done a juice fast before but I'd like to look into it. I'm not sure about the whole juice vegetable thing but I'm willing to give it a try. I've got about 14lbs left and it's all around my middle so I'm looking for a jump start to get that going!

Did you still work out during that time or do you have to take a break? I run usually 30 min 4/5 days a week and lift weights for about 30 min 5/6 days a week.

Is there a website to check out or recipes to follow?
  • sassyray
    sassyray Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 7 Day Juice Fast. What day was the hardest day?

Most folks say the first 3 days are the hardest, but the last 2 days were the hardest for me because I kept trying to talk myself into ending it early - telling myself I had done well and that the results were great and I could stop....but there was no way I was going to deny myself that feeling of victory when I'd worked so hard!!!
  • sassyray
    sassyray Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've got about 14lbs left and it's all around my middle so I'm looking for a jump start to get that going!

Did you still work out during that time or do you have to take a break? I run usually 30 min 4/5 days a week and lift weights for about 30 min 5/6 days a week.

Is there a website to check out or recipes to follow?

My middle was the most dramatic area of loss....but that's usually the first place I lose it from since I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. I did not work out those 7 days - I took a break because I wasn't sure I could handle it - I just didn't think I could drink enough juice to "eat" back my exercise calories. I'm going to start back today though - I swim and lift weights mostly. I have a juicing book that I get recipes from (Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life by Cherie Calbom) and there is this great blog that I follow that has tons of healthy recipes in general, but the occasional juice recipe too: http://eat2evolve.blogspot.com/
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have a juicing book that I get recipes from (Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life by Cherie Calbom) and there is this great blog that I follow that has tons of healthy recipes in general, but the occasional juice recipe too: http://eat2evolve.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for the tip on the recipes....I am only on day #1 (and I ate my veggies at lunch...not juiced) but I didn't add anything to them and I"m surprised how full I have felt all day.