asking runners about shoes

Options
inotnew
inotnew Posts: 218 Member
How often to you need to get a new pair of running shoes per year? I wanted to start running again and need to buy a pair. I just want to see how much I will need to buget for a year for new shoes. Do you think you get more out of an exensive pair or a normal price shoe works fine for you?

Replies

• hairbykiela
    Options
    Asics are best! I got mine for around $90. You can replace the insoles. :-)
  • AshleeHans
    AshleeHans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I run approx. 15-20 miles a week and will replace my shoes about every 6 months... I trained for a half marathon last year and all the reading I did said to get a new pair about every 6 months. Of course, it'll depend on how much you run and how far you run.

If you are looking for a awesome pair of running shoes, I would suggest the Nike Free (women's)... They are a little on the expensive side, but they ROCK for running! They are super light and it feels like you are not even wearing shoes! I love them and wouldn't ever go back to anything.

Happy Running! :)
  • sarahazen
    sarahazen Posts: 34
    Options
    I replace mine every 300-500 miles....depending on how they are feeling. You don't need a super expensive pair, but should get something designed for running....no Target shoes allowed.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I went a little over a year with my old runner shoes and was probably 3 months too late. I don't think it's a matter of how much you spend but a matter of getting fitted with the right shoe. If you can go to a running store and get properly fitted. Definitely worth the investment!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You get between 500-600 miles on a pair of shoes.

You should go to a running store to be fitted for shoes so that they fit your gait and style well. I buy midgrade shoes. Something that's comfortable and works but isn't top of the line. When I started I was buying 40 buck New Balance LOL because I had no idea that I could injure myself in the wrong shoes.

So don't feel like you need to break the bank but try for midrange shoes.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i replace mine every 300-400 miles....i can really start to feel a difference in the support and comfort by that time.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I researched this online recently. What I found was if you workout 3 or less times they should last about 6 months. 4 or more times 3-4 months. It also said if you get two pairs and switch back and forth to give them a chance to dry out they will last a little longer. I just bought the new Nike dual fusion shoes they were about $60-70. They are the most comfortable and light weight shoes I have ever worn. I did buy 2 pairs and switch them out because I work out 6-7 times a week.
  • Patch1981
    Patch1981 Posts: 3
    Options
    Like you, I just started running to train for an obstacle course. The lady at ****'s Sporting Goods recommended Brooks shoes. They are pretty awesome. Good luck with your running and training!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You should replace your running shoes every 300-500 miles. If you buy 2 pairs at once and alternate them, they actually will last longer than that. You should give your shoes a 24 rest break to keep them from breaking down quickly. I would budget about $100 per pair.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I certainly do not calim to be a runner by any means but I enjoy jogging. I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Prophecy that are awesome but were really expensive. They are rated for 700 miles instead of the typical 300 miles that running shoes are rated for.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I get new ones about every 6 months. I would suggest going to a running store and get properly fitted for sneakers to help avoid injuries and pain. I will say there is a huge difference (at least for me and a lot of my running friends) between sneakers purchased because they were cheap as compared to those that are recommended for your foot/running type. That being said I run best and injury free in Asics Nimbus.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I think its different for every person and type of running ... the average is 300-500 but here are the things that will make your shoes wear out faster...

1. Scuffing or shuffling your feet
    2. Carrying extra weight
    3. Trail running or hill running on a regular basis with regular shoes
    4. Wearing your shoes for other activities non running or walking (like Zumba)
    5. Not letting your shoes rest for 24 hours between runs (breaks down the shoe faster)

I run about 26 miles per week and can usuually get a solid 200 miles before I need new shoes. Recently I had a pair that only made it 176 miles... I did everything on that list but number 1 .....

Also ... LOOK at the bottom of your shoes and the wear pattern ... when they start to look old or worn they probably need to go (my last pair was worn big time in the midfoot with no tread left).

Lastly... if you get a new ache or pain ... new foot ... new hip or knee pain... its prlly time to get new shoes.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    First find the right shoe for you. I prefer Nike. They seem to last a long time. I'm awfully hard on shoes, so I go about 6 months, then use them for yardwork or walking around errands and stuff. Some people say 500 miles (I don't know how to gauge that) I know that when you can bend your shoes easily, they should be replaced. The support is going when you can bend them easily. You know how they start to curl and stay that way even when you take them off? REPLACE them!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are very personal as each person is different. Many people love New Balance and Asics. I can't wear either but can wear Saucony and Nike.

The best thing you can do is take your old shoes, even if they aren't running shoes, to a running store. They will analyze your shoes and then watch you run or walk. Then they recommend shoes that will best support how your body moves.

Good luck.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You must get your gait checked and then you can look at which running shoe suits best. Anyone who says Nike, Asics, Mizuno etc are best are only talking about what suits them.

Go to a proper store, they will video you running on a treadmill for free and then rcommend the right typ of shoe. It will prevent a lot of pain later on.

Good luck
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I personally get new runners ever 3-4 months... hubby thinks it's obsurd, but I work out in them 6 days a week and treck a lot of KM's on them, and I don't want injuries.

I'm always switching brands, I've tried tons of them, Currently have the Nike Pegasus 27+ and my next ones are going to be the Nike Lunar Gluide 2

I normally spend around 130$ on sneaks.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just purchased my first pair of Asics and LOVE them, I had always been a Nike user before, I don't do a lot of running, mostly jogging intervals and a lot of walking, but I really noticed a difference. The pair I have is in the GEL line and advertised medium stability with cushioning. They definitely make me feel lighter on my feet! I have also hear great things about the Brooks line, and almost puchased a pair, but the Asics came in about $20 cheaper so my wallet made the decision for me!!!! I usually replace mine around the 6 month mark, which is longer than some people recommend, but since I don't run long distances I think it is ok for me!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I get new ones about every 6 months. I would suggest going to a running store and get properly fitted for sneakers to help avoid injuries and pain. I will say there is a huge difference (at least for me and a lot of my running friends) between sneakers purchased because they were cheap as compared to those that are recommended for your foot/running type. That being said I run best and injury free in Asics Nimbus.

agreed - I do 6 months as well. sometimes 3-4 (espeically when i was training for my half marathon)
    I also will rotate between 2 or 3, mainly depending on if I'm running - I use one pair and for other workouts I'll use the other one.
    however, they are certain shoes that bother my feet - for me particularly I am comfortable with Nike. I do love their dual fusion sneakers because they are light and my feet are supported.

See if you can make it to a store to get fitted for sneakers. :) good luck!!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You should replace your running shoes every 300-500 miles. If you buy 2 pairs at once and alternate them, they actually will last longer than that. You should give your shoes a 24 rest break to keep them from breaking down quickly. I would budget about $100 per pair.
    I agree! if you alternate it is a good way to prolong their life! But if you are just starting up, you may want to leave a day of rest between your runs anyway! A way I save money is that I go get fitted in the store and then I order them online to save money!!! I like Asics..I paid about 70 for them! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think its different for every person and type of running ... the average is 300-500 but here are the things that will make your shoes wear out faster...

1. Scuffing or shuffling your feet
    2. Carrying extra weight
    3. Trail running or hill running on a regular basis with regular shoes
    4. Wearing your shoes for other activities non running or walking (like Zumba)
    5. Not letting your shoes rest for 24 hours between runs (breaks down the shoe faster)

I run about 26 miles per week and can usuually get a solid 200 miles before I need new shoes. Recently I had a pair that only made it 176 miles... I did everything on that list but number 1 .....

Also ... LOOK at the bottom of your shoes and the wear pattern ... when they start to look old or worn they probably need to go (my last pair was worn big time in the midfoot with no tread left).

Lastly... if you get a new ache or pain ... new foot ... new hip or knee pain... its prlly time to get new shoes.

great advice!