My Super Crazy, Out Of Control Metabolism

Options
I apologize in advance because this is going to be a little rambly.

My metabolism has always been fast and though it's slowing as I get older like everyone else's, it's still pretty quick. Honestly, most people would have gained way more than the 12 pounds I did the last half of 2010 had they eaten the things I did and blew off exercising completely like I did.

I have a lot of lean muscle mass simply from genetics and my muscles never get flabby. Ever. So I don't need to do a lot for muscle maintenance. Unfortunately, I also have a genetic propensity to store belly fat if I don't keep up with working out, so fat loss is my main concern.

When I do workout regularly, my metabolism is ridiculous. I eat between 1900-2100 calories per day, but I don't think it's enough. I don't log my food here, but my diet mainly consists of all the "right" things. Fruits, veggies, proteins in the form of meat, dairy, and nut butters, almost no refined grains or pastas to speak of, and the good fats. I eat very little that's heavily processed.

However, unless I eat something that's very caloric and fatty to boot, I"m hungry within 1-3 hours. For example, I had a single and fries from Wendy's on Saturday and wasn't hungry for about five hours. Had I gotten something like a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad, I would have been hungry again in half that time.

Last night, I had beef stew for dinner. I ate at 7:30 and by 8:45, my stomach was like, "Hey, lady. I need more food." It wasn't a pang. It was full out empty and growling. And yesterday was a higher calorie/shorter workout day for me.

And it's not thirst. For one thing, I'm drinking water of some kind from the time I get up until just before I go to bed. If I ingested any more water, I'd be a Culligan truck. For another, I know the difference between a hunger pang and being thirsty

I'm currently doing Turbo Jam and I don't have a HRM, so I don't know how much I'm burning outside of online estimates of 300-700 calories depending on the workout. I also live about a mile from my office and have a walking commute, but I've been doing that for five years and I'm not sure just how efficient my body had gotten at it. However, I can't explain the way my body blows through food unless I'm way underestimating the calories that I burn.

So all of this preface is to ask if there is some way to find out my BMR and how many calories I *really* burn during the day? I think the online calculators and formulas that I've used are just a teensy bit off. :)

BTW, I"m 5'11" and in the 170 pound range.

Replies

• vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi there and I wish I had your problem...LOL. I do have quite a bit of muscle mass as well and really don't gain the weight that others would but it is no way like your metabolism.

You may want to try a "body bug" ... that is a monitor that tells you how many calories your burning at all times and not just through exercise.

Check out the bodybugg® system One the most recognized brands in Health and Fitness Tracking, the bodybugg calorie management system is a proven solution in weight loss management. The bodybugg system works by keeping an accurate daily record of calories consumed vs. burned making it easier to stay informed, make decisions and more effectively manage your weight.

What does it do? The bodybugg system includes sleek wearable devices that are complemented by a user-friendly web based program. Plus, with the bodybuggSP™ system, you can get real-time access to your daily activity through your smartphone* (Android™ and iPhone).

Additional benefits & features • Uses specialized sensors to track calories burned
    • Manages calories consumed via a web based program (FREE for 6 months with initial purchase)
    • Tracks your steps with a built-in pedometer
    • Phone coaching session to help get you started
    • PC and Mac compatible
    • Runs on a rechargeable battery
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Pick up a heart rate monitor, there are many to choose from, many have the calories you burn too. I picked mine up at a Sports Authority.
    You are a very lucky lady to have such a high metabolism! Best of luck!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Fast metabolism is a myth. You are underestimating your Calorie burn. You are an active person. For example, 99.9%* of Americans would never consider walking a 1 mile commute.

*statistics fabricated for effect
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi there and I wish I had your problem...LOL. I do have quite a bit of muscle mass as well and really don't gain the weight that others would but it is no way like your metabolism.

You may want to try a "body bug" ... that is a monitor that tells you how many calories your burning at all times and not just through exercise.

Check out the bodybugg® system One the most recognized brands in Health and Fitness Tracking, the bodybugg calorie management system is a proven solution in weight loss management. The bodybugg system works by keeping an accurate daily record of calories consumed vs. burned making it easier to stay informed, make decisions and more effectively manage your weight.

What does it do? The bodybugg system includes sleek wearable devices that are complemented by a user-friendly web based program. Plus, with the bodybuggSP™ system, you can get real-time access to your daily activity through your smartphone* (Android™ and iPhone).

Additional benefits & features • Uses specialized sensors to track calories burned
    • Manages calories consumed via a web based program (FREE for 6 months with initial purchase)
    • Tracks your steps with a built-in pedometer
    • Phone coaching session to help get you started
    • PC and Mac compatible
    • Runs on a rechargeable battery

I know. What a "problem" to have, right?

So, I looked at the BodyBugg. Looks like I'll have to stay curious until Christmas bonus time. :)
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Fast metabolism is a myth. You are underestimating your Calorie burn. You are an active person. For example, 99.9%* of Americans would never consider walking a 1 mile commute.

*statistics fabricated for effect

I'd never heard that fast metabolism is a myth, so I did some searching and found this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

So essentially, my BMR requires a lot of calories due to my muscle mass and it's my physical activity that kicks up the calorie burn by several notches. Huh. I learned something new today. Honestly though, it sounds like six of one, half dozen of the other, but it's good to know what "fast metabolism" is shorthand for.

And you're right about my commute. The majority of my coworkers react like I'm hiking the Himalayas when they find out that I walk a whole 10 blocks to work.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When I do workout regularly, my metabolism is ridiculous. I eat between 1900-2100 calories per day, but I don't think it's enough.

<snip>

BTW, I"m 5'11" and in the 170 pound range.

You're right.

A woman of 5'11" and 175 who exercises just three times a week needs around 2200 calories a day to maintain her weight.

You are tall and active, therefore your body needs more to function.