GOMAD(Gallon of Milk a Day)

Options
So I have started this gallon of milk a day. I am drinking 2% organic milk. I am stuck at 187 and am trying to put on muscle. IT is supposed to add 2.5 pounds of muscle a week. It is out of the book the four hour body. I am starting a blog to keep track of my progress and to see what other people have done and to see if it worked for them. So give me your thoughts.

So I am 6"1' and weighed 187, neck was 16 inches, waist was 33 and chest was 39.5. Was trying to do around 2000 calories a day and exercised mostly strength training 3 to 5 times a week. Now I try to keep my calories in the 4000 to 5000 range with the gallon of milk a day. I am going to try it for 14 days and see what the difference is if any. So stay tuned for the results.
Has this worked for anyone out there?

Replies

• jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Watch out for kidney stones!
  • reavesln
    reavesln Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah those would suck maybe it will give me a better appreciation of what women who give birth go through if i get one.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It works well for the thousands of people who do Rippetoe's Starting Strength program....but then again, most of them are quite young.

I definitely think 2000 calories per day for a person of your physique and training regiment is too low. Keep us posted on how it goes!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yeah those would suck maybe it will give me a better appreciation of what women who give birth go through if i get one.

LOL! But, seriously...Good luck with it. I hope you have a lot of success with it.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing your results. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one! Best of luck!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound healthy at all. Whey protein works just as well. Yes -- watch out for kidney stones if you don't drink a crap-ton amount of water to flush out all that calcium.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks...but you gotta admit...you are gonna have some seriously stinky farts!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Wow, that makes my stomach hurt thinking about it. Good luck though.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing the way you are. Your profile photos show a very nice, physically fit guy. Any more or less would be too much. MY opinion.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'd be a little worried about the health risks with this. That's a LOT of saturated fat to be consuming. While I understand that you need to eat big to get big, that's quite a bit. I'm a firm believer in balance. So, up the milk, but try the whey as someone else had mentioned, eat peanut butter, oatmeal, all of these things are pretty calorie intensive without overloading you on anything.

And PS I had to listen to a guy pass a kidney stone once... you do NOT want to deal with that, those screams are still burned into my brain!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth, I dranks that much when I was preggers with my son and gained a TON of weight! Mine was skim milk thought but I was pushing about 5K extra calories per week just in milk. So, in my experience (though mine was a different reason than yours, milk is like my crack) it works! Good luck!
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    JMO...but I think you look very nice the way you are, but good luck with that....Kidney Stones are a personal experience for me and they SUCK!!!
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump! Look forward to the results. Keep us posted!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks...but you gotta admit...you are gonna have some seriously stinky farts!

LOL, too true!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify in the event there is a misconception: Drinking a gallon of milk a day won't magically add 2.5 lbs of muscle a week (There are no magic formulas), that comes from how efficiently you're doing your strength training along specifically your workout intensity and technique.

Are you working to max fatigue each time and allowing for enough rest (48 hours min) to push harder the next time?
    General Recommendations for Strength training os 0.6 - 0.8 g of Protein per LB of body weight, while some high intensity trainers shoot for 1.0 - 1.2 g / LB. Milk serves as a convenient source of protein that is readily available and transportable, and also contains a fair balance of carbohydrate as well.

2,000 does sound quite low for tissue building however.

If you're 187 and shoot for 1g / Lb, that's 187 Grams of protein / day which is 748 Calories from Protein. (4 CAls / Gram)

The MFP Default for Protein is 15% of your diet so shooting for 187 grams/ day would require you to eat 4986 Cals / Day.
    Upping your Protein to account for 30% of your diet would bring you up to 2593 Cals / Day.

Any higher than than, and you're hitting weight loss ranges more than mass building as your Carb and fat intake serves as the energy sources which are stored in the muscle cells that the protein builds.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    So I have started this gallon of milk a day. I am drinking 2% organic milk. I am stuck at 187 and am trying to put on muscle. IT is supposed to add 2.5 pounds of muscle a week. It is out of the book the four hour body. I am starting a blog to keep track of my progress and to see what other people have done and to see if it worked for them. So give me your thoughts.

So I am 6"1' and weighed 187, neck was 16 inches, waist was 33 and chest was 39.5. Was trying to do around 2000 calories a day and exercised mostly strength training 3 to 5 times a week. Now I try to keep my calories in the 4000 to 5000 range with the gallon of milk a day. I am going to try it for 14 days and see what the difference is if any. So stay tuned for the results.
    Has this worked for anyone out there?

I used to drink a gallon of whole cream-on-top organic milk every day...Maybe I am just creepy (my grandpa drinks the same amount of milk, and is thin and fit), but I didn't gain weight from drinking milk. I gained weight from eating sticks of butter, large amounts of cheese, and eating 2,000+ calories in candy per day....

My point is, milk may make you more trim.

As for the kidney stones, maybe I got lucky, but I have been drinking a good gallon of milk per day (except during my diet) since I was a kid...never had a problem yet :smile: Never had a problem with stinky farts as another person posted either lol

Good luck!!! I just wanted to let you know it may actually make you more trim =)

ps: I agree with the person above who said you look amazing already! Seriously, you look like a model!!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Sounds mighty excessive to me! :noway: :grumble:

That much of anything a day can't be good for the body ... except maybe water!!! :drinker:

I'd go with Eggers training advice and add more protein and workout plans instead.

Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing the way you are. Your profile photos show a very nice, physically fit guy. Any more or less would be too much. MY opinion.

I don't think ANYONE has the right to tell anybody that ever. If you wanna bulk up and put on muscle you go right on ahead, hunny.

Good luck :)
  • reavesln
    reavesln Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah I try to max out every workout doing low rep and high weight with increasing the weigth and decreasing the reps. I try not to do that much cardio and focus on weights doing upper body then lower body.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You are way under eating... I am 5'11" and weigh 175 and I am also having a hard time bulking and I eat 2300-2500 calories a day.
    The mile thing doesn't sound good at all. The amount of sugar you would intake from a gallon a day may increase your stomach.
    Let me know how it goes.