Controversial stance, maybe?

Replies

• britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    And man hasn't evolved it's eating system PERIOD in like, forever. If processed food was truly inedible, then the consequences would be a lot worse than an upset stomach or two.

Obesity? I'm pretty sure that's a consequence. Idk, what is this site for anyway?
  • arh0117
    arh0117 Posts: 185 Member
    I think natural tends to be better in most cases, about most things,
    but I have a bit of a hippie streak in me. :flowerforyou:

And as a college instructor, I deduct 10% off any paper that cites Wikipedia.
    My students know this policy and yet..... they still cite it.

It's just not natural.

I love you for this!! I also scoffed at the original citation of Wikipedia. As a former English teacher it ruffled my feathers to see it used. And the banter between the two is seriously cracking me up! LOL
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I want to add on! I actually laugh at all the hate for, "processed foods." Unless you buy a whole cow, kill it, skin it, and cut it up yourself, you're buying processed foods. Same goes for any fruit, vegetable, grain, everything you buy in a grocery store is processed in some way. Processed foods aren't evil. Certain ingredients used in some processed foods could be evil.

By the way, those steel cut oats, or old fashioned oats in your oatmeal? Still processed food. :tongue:

That fruit you just bought from the farmer's market? Also processed. :laugh:

Beer? Definitely processed! :drinker:

And yes, "natural," and "organic" are just buzz words for marketing, they really have no strict definitions.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I want to add on! I actually laugh at all the hate for, "processed foods." Unless you buy a whole cow, kill it, skin it, and cut it up yourself, you're buying processed foods. Same goes for any fruit, vegetable, grain, everything you buy in a grocery store is processed in some way. Processed foods aren't evil. Certain ingredients used in some processed foods could be evil.

By the way, those steel cut oats, or old fashioned oats in your oatmeal? Still processed food. :tongue:

And yes, "natural," and "organic" are just buzz words for marketing, they really have no strict definitions.

I can't disagree with you about processed foods, but I am definitely going to have to disagree about organic. There is a usda definition for that.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/ofp/ofp.shtml

http://usda-fda.com/articles/organic.htm
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    http://usda-fda.com/articles/organic.htm

I like this article, if only for the fact that it comes right out and says that organic food is not any healthier, it's just more expensive. :laugh:

Also, food doesn't have to be 100% organic to be labeled organic. And small farms are exempt from the certification process, which means that they can claim their food is organic, even if it isn't, as they aren't inspected.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I would argue that meat is processed even if you kill it, skin it, and cut it up yourself. The only way it's not processed is if you eat it whole. Processing it yourself doesn't mean it wasn't processsed. I read another thread where people were arguing that beans were processed (I suppose by picking and shelling them??) but butter was not, even though you have to churn cream to get butter. For me, when I think of processed foods I don't include picking or peeling/shelling/skinning,threshing, whatever. Same as I don't include cooking as processing.

There are standards for "organic", though different certifying organizations have different standards.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    I eat as clean as possible, because I can't have just one serving of chips, etc. without wanting another and another and another...

Beyond that, doesn't anyone find it a bit odd that we never really crave broccoli or good for us stuff? We crave sodium-rich, high fat content foods because those things are addictive. So why wouldn't companies put a high amount of that crap into their food to guarantee higher sales?

I actually do crave fruits, veggies, and water...If I am having a busy day where I don't get any fruit at breakfast and lunch I am on the lookout for them by evening meal time!
    I always crave a piece of chocolate at night, and really enjoy ice cream and wine...
    but if I'm hungry and you put a plate of salad and a bag of chips in front of me, I would pick the salad! My food preferences have always been (since I was little) dairy, veggies/fruits, carbs, protein, junk food (in that order.) I think what we crave has a lot to do with what we are fed as kids.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member

Yep I officially love you too.... My boyfriend might wonder why Im falling in love so much lately over a food debate.

When Im cutting processed foods form my diet that simply means Im sticking to lean protein, fruits, veggies and brown rice for a bit. But I also know that due to my love for shaped noodles it wont last beyond a couple of weeks, even then I dont eliminate it completly because I would be a miserable witch that no one would want to be around.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Stop the frickin' presses!!!!!!!!!
    Yellow Dye 69 is going to make us all infertile-yet-sex-crazed-monsters

Where can I get me some of that stuff?! Sounds perfect!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member

It just seems silly to see a lot of sensationlist crepe gets bandied about simply because the people pushing their 'eat clean' diets use specific words and fears to try and sway the average person.

I would love to try a sensationalist crepe. Yum...
  • pjm1806
    pjm1806 Posts: 41
    i agree with the author about the companies not killing us, they longer they make us live, they longer we buy from them, giving them money.

i dont agree with the cave man living only 30 years tho. it was an avereage, most of it was child death and lack of immunity to some illnesses - or lack of knowledge how to treat them, also lets not forget dear dinosaurs whom we fed and were very desired meal,

with the milk part - we are mammals, do you know any other mammal that feeds on a milk as a grown specimen? even better do you know any that will feed on milk of different specimen??? ( besides pets and zoo-kept animals, yes we harm themw ith it) the answer is NO, so yea i dont think milk it good for you, and also 70% of native americans are lacotose intolerant - why can that be... hmmm... ( yes being sarcastic)

but then again, everything we made we made for ourself, so its ok when we indulge in out unhealthly stuff, maybe we are suppose to eat them maybe not, but then again look at the nature - from technical point of view, bees werent suppose to fly - they are too heavy for their wings, but they do, so maybe we werent suppose have DIET food, but we do, and we are alive...

just some random thoughts...
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member

It just seems silly to see a lot of sensationlist crepe gets bandied about simply because the people pushing their 'eat clean' diets use specific words and fears to try and sway the average person.

I would love to try a sensationalist crepe. Yum...

Make sure it's all natural
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    I try to keep out of it, but I do confess that the first time I heard about "paleo," I turned to my husband and said, "Why would I want to adhere to a diet meant to emulate that of a people whose life expectancy topped out at 37 years?"

But hey, if people get enthused and it works for them and gets them on the path, I'm not going to argue (too much). Besides, like most fads, most folks will wander away from it and (hopefully) wind up with something more balanced. If they take some good habits with them and patch together a diet that incorporates the best that paleo has to offer? All the better!

Kris
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    "natural" and "organic" do not mean the same thing. this is a short little blurb discussing the logistics of the two terms. It's interesting to see another marketing ploy from food companies! I'm a vegetarian, so I eat veggies but they don't have to be organic for me to buy them. I eat what tastes yummy (that includes processed foods!).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    I eat as clean as possible, because I can't have just one serving of chips, etc. without wanting another and another and another...

Beyond that, doesn't anyone find it a bit odd that we never really crave broccoli or good for us stuff? We crave sodium-rich, high fat content foods because those things are addictive. So why wouldn't companies put a high amount of that crap into their food to guarantee higher sales?

I actually do crave fresh fruits and steamed veggies quite often... I hardly ever crave chips or processed foods. To me that is more convenience food for when I'm lazy. The only thing that I do often crave is chocolate but even then its 80% cocoa chocolate bars that I lust after. I think its really hard to make vast generalizations about the way people eat. I for one cannot process carbs at all but I still agree with the op... "all natural" is a hot button word specifically used to target a consumer. They charge more for produce that otherwise would be inexpensive. I have the biggest unsecret.in the world about your food... That "organic" food you are eating still has pesticides in it they are just "certified organic" pesticides. My husband does commercial and residential pest control for a living and basically the difference between organic pesticides and non organic pesticides is one is naturally occurring and refined, think crude oil here, while the other is a synthetic of the same naturally occurring compound.
  • Thriceshy
    i dont agree with the cave man living only 30 years tho. it was an avereage, most of it was child death and lack of immunity to some illnesses - or lack of knowledge how to treat them, also lets not forget dear dinosaurs whom we fed and were very desired meal,

You do know that humans and dinosaurs never co-existed, right? There were no "cavemen" running away from the voracious Velociraptors.
    with the milk part - we are mammals, do you know any other mammal that feeds on a milk as a grown specimen? even better do you know any that will feed on milk of different specimen??? ( besides pets and zoo-kept animals, yes we harm themw ith it) the answer is NO, so yea i dont think milk it good for you, and also 70% of native americans are lacotose intolerant - why can that be... hmmm... ( yes being sarcastic)

I don't know of any other species that intentionally cultures mold and then eats it to treat infections, either. We're humans, our frontal lobes are huge. As a result, we're wicked smart, and can figure out ways to feed ourselves and care for ourselves that are beyond the ken of your average mammal. As for the lactose intolerance, all that means is that Native Americans weren't exposed to the same foods Europeans were. It's common to have a high number of reactions to a newly introduced substance. Doesn't make the substance "bad," just makes it something that population isn't accustomed to and/or hasn't genetically adapted to.

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Assuming that every big company has it out for your life makes no sense. They can't make money if their product killed people; it's in their best interest to feed you food that WON'T kill you.

... cigarette companies? hello??!
    i mean there's just so much i can say in response to this. pesticides are used so that there is more product to be sold, period. because it makes more MONEY.

.... everything is about money. companies dont care about their customers. lets get real here..

obviously everything is relative, and no you wont DIE from eating a bag of cheetos once a week, but if you eat them all day every day it WILL negatively affect your health.

luckily its not my job or concern to convince anyone, so carry on lol
    well some companies that are throwing the word "natural" around are just trying to make money too...you cant be too sure if everything your putting into your body is natural...unless your killing your own animals for meat, and eating all home grown vegis and even then, im sure some type of chemical or something has leaked in somewhere.

The problem with the word "natural" (and someone may have beaten me to this) is that it's meaningless when it comes to ingestibles. Cyanide is "natural." So is uranium. Doesn't mean we want to be eating them. "Natural" is just a green-wash term to get people to think that products are somehow better for them. "Natural" doesn't mean healthy or organic.

Kris
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Well the bottom line for big company's selling food is to bring in the highest and fastest rate of cash flow. Now of course they dot want to kill of their customers by putting poison pesticides and chemicals on their produce BUT, if these pesticides and chemicals improve their profit, and IF these pesticides and chemicals don't have any IMMEDIATE effect on anyone then who's to blame? It's already been proven that these pesticides and artificial growth hormones are bad for us. In the end all that matters to them is who gets the mula..
    If I ever eat meat I try to go with grass fed and free range, healthier animal=happier animals=better food=happier me
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    <
    Brought club to party!!!
  • Thriceshy
    Well the bottom line for big company's selling food is to bring in the highest and fastest rate of cash flow. Now of course they dot want to kill of their customers by putting poison pesticides and chemicals on their produce BUT, if these pesticides and chemicals improve their profit, and IF these pesticides and chemicals don't have any IMMEDIATE effect on anyone then who's to blame? It's already been proven that these pesticides and artificial growth hormones are bad for us. In the end all that matters to them is who gets the mula..
    If I ever eat meat I try to go with grass fed and free range, healthier animal=happier animals=better food=happier me

Yep.

We're looking to move soon, and we're already scoping out area farms that practice no-hormone/no abx/cage-free/grass fed. I've never fallen for the "industry has a vested interest in not harming us" pucky. Industry has a vested interest in turning a profit, and will tell whatever tales it has to and will use whatever nasty products it can to maximize those profits.

Lros