BodyPump - reviews and success stories?

Options
My gym offers BodyPump, and I was considering changing up my current routine (swim 4-5x a week) to do BodyPump 3x a week and just swim 2x a week. Do you think this would burn enough fat, or do I need to just stick with the swimming? I had read that weight lifting would help you burn fat better than cardio, but since swimming sort of does resistence as well as cardio I wasn't sure if it was a good substitute. Also for those that have done it - I have problems with my feet, will this class be appropriate for someone with heel/foot pain? I am just bored with swimming only and want to change things up, plus am secretly hoping to find some class that will magically melt away all my fat ASAP :). Anyone have any success stories to share about BodyPump?

Replies

• suekitchen
    suekitchen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No magical story here I'm afraid as I'm still too scared to give classes a try just yet, but a friend of mine absolutely raves about all the Body- classes, Pump included. It doesn't sound too complicated as such but he has warned me that I'll be sore in muscles I never knew I had. From what he says, there's a different track for each muscle group, so I would imagine that if you did struggle with any particular aspect due to your foot problems, you would be able to get back in for the next track?

If you're bored of something I think it's definitely worth trying something different - nothing to lose after all - whilst if you force yourself to swim all the time every time you might stop enjoying it altogether which is a sure way to lose motivation.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends that swear by body pump and it really toned their bodies. :) I don't know about the heel/foot pain. I think you could go to a class and ask the instructor.
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Options
    Oh my goodness, BP is incredible!! In three short weeks, I've already started seeing muscle definition in my arms. It is an incredible workout!! I highly recommend it. I think Les Mill's website (inventor of BP) says it burns around 500 calories for a 150 lb person per session. I'm addicted to it. It has helped me get stronger legs to run faster!! Try it, but don't let the first class scare you off. Try it for 2 weeks and you'll be hooked.
  • Violet319
    Violet319 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband & I did our second Bodypump class today...WE are loving this class. It is definetly a workout & your muscles are so sore the next day but its sooo worth it. The only thing that I have trouble with is how much weight to put on the bar. If you don't add enough your not getting the full potential of the workout, if you put too much on you can't get through the whole class.
    I would give it a shot if I were you and also let the instructor know this is your first class & about your heel/foot problem. Both the instructors I have had have been great!!!!!!
    Good Luck!!!!
  • hlopata
    Options
    I love body pump and it DOES work!!!
    I was simply jogging every day and I was looking very plump ( size 14 at 4'11")
    I started body pump 2 years ago, I do pump 3 times a week body step twice a week and I run between 3-5 miles Monday - Friday before work
    I am a size 6.... 30 pounds lighter and I look the best I have ever looked
    The secret to body pump... Stick with it... Good form and push yourself on the weights
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    when i belonged to a gym a couple years ago i LOVED body pump! its awesome! You should definitely give it a shot.
  • dbh3425
    dbh3425 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of BodyPump also and have been doing it once/week since July. Here is my advice:

1. Tell the instructor that it's your first class and definitely tell him/her about your foot pain. You'll likely need to back off on the lunges.

2. Class at my gym consistently follows the same routine: warm up, glutes & legs, shoulders, biceps, abs, triceps. You'll want to use the heaviest weights for the largest muscle groups (glutes and legs) and gradually decrease the weight as muscle groups become smaller (triceps). You can use hand weights for tricep and bicep work.

3. Don't be afraid to stop a set of reps to change your weights if you find them to be too heavy.

4. Really think about the muscle group you're working - it makes a difference.

Enjoy! I ♥ it. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of trying BodyPump at my gym too, but was on the fence about it. I think I will give it a try
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Body Pump and Body Combat are both great!! I've been doing Body Combat more because the class time fits into my schedule better, but it has been beneficial to add a cardio/strength class to my workout routine! Plus it's fun and has great music :smile:
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Body Pump! It definitely is worth trying out. But as others have mentioned, all the 'Body' classes are great. Body Attack is an insane cardio workout, if you're interested in that!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Another vote for BodyPump here, I go twice a week. You can work out just as effectively with smaller weights to start with, whilst you learn how to do it, and it's all either low-impact, or there are low-impact options. (The current lunge track has jumping, which I don't do c/o a dodgy knee). It's simply brilliant for toning, and they change it all around every coupel of months, to challenge your muscles in a different way.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Pump is my all time favourite class - I love it - I am out at the moment due to an elbow injury and am missing it so much it hurts :(

Do it 3 or 4 times and then love it forever :love:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Body pump is a great class, and it's good to try some different things, so it would be a useful addition to your swimming.

Use different weights for different muscles (your instructor should give you a rough guide, but for your big muscles such as squats and lunges you should have more weight on the bar than for small muscles like biceps)

It will work your muscles. More muscles burn more calories, not just while you're working out, but all the time.

You don't move around too much, so I can't imagine that your foot issue would be a problem - check with the instructor.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    And another fan here. As you go to more classes you'll know what weights challenge you. You want to feel at the end of the track that you can't do much more and reach that point of muscle exhaustion, though go easy on your first week whilst you get used to it.

I have just got home from bodypump, combat and body attack, and did a short run and some free weights between pump and combat. Gotta love it. I am having a well deserved day of rest tomorrow.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    LOVE body pump.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump, as well. Just an FYI - Beach Body sells a home version for those that can't get to the gym. Not the same as a fun class setting, but better than nothing :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Oh, I could go on for ever....Bodypump changed my life and my body. Always afraid of the weight room, over 2 years ago I decided to take a Pump class. HOOKED. The music was amazing and I knew that I had hit every single muscle when I was done. It's the only weight training I do. I loved it so much that I became an instructor and it's always my favorite to teach....with Combat probably for the tie. :-) There is science behind the sequence of exercises, there is physiology behind it to keep you safe. If you love music then you'll love it. Give it a shot. Can't say enough!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am HOOKED to body pump i go 3 to 4 times a week and been for about 8 months or so . the music is amazing, the routine is fun the trainer energetic and motivating damn even on a bad day i am looking forward for my bodypump fix ;P

<--- and i mean.. look at the results i am not quite there entirely but with dieting and bodypump almost alone i managed to lose so much weight and firm up :D
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump