Any tips for staying healthy on holiday?

Options
I'm a Brit heading across the pond to Texas this summer... and I'm a bit worried about all the amazing food that I will probably stuff into my mouth as soon as I get there!
Do you have any tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle over the summer holidays?

Replies

• eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Texas is a tough one, I had a hard time when I visited there a year ago...lots of "chicken fried" this and "smothered" that... the best I can suggest is to really take your time reading the menus and just try to make the best choices. I ended up choosing foods that said they were prepared cajun style or blackened or grilled ... because those didn't have breading. No matter what you order it will be tasty...I loved all the food I ate and I always picked the most healthy sounding things. I didn't gain any weight either...but I was only there a couple of days.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Texas is a tough one, I had a hard time when I visited there a year ago...lots of "chicken fried" this and "smothered" that... the best I can suggest is to really take your time reading the menus and just try to make the best choices. I ended up choosing foods that said they were prepared cajun style or blackened or grilled ... because those didn't have breading. No matter what you order it will be tasty...I loved all the food I ate and I always picked the most healthy sounding things. I didn't gain any weight either...but I was only there a couple of days.

Thank you! I'm there for just over 2 weeks... eek! I guess I'll just try to limit portion sizes, and get a good amount of exercise done!!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing as much walking as you can, but since we are currently in the midst of an extreme heat wave in most of the US, not sure you will want to be doing much of that.
    I agree--make good choices as much as you can, exercise if possible, but most of all enjoy yourself. You can jump right back on the bandwagon as soon as you get back home.
    Kaye
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    just been on holiday myself asked mfp for help one of the best tips i had was to take a notebook with me and jot down what you ate.This helped me a lot because you focus more on your choices being tasty and healthy and i lost 2 pounds .BEST OF LUCK ENJOY YOURSELF
  • megadoodle19
    Options
    I've never actually been to Texas, but definitely watch out for all the breaded and frieds foods...they can be snicky! The trick is to watch the portions (everything is bigger there..right?) but also allowing yourself to indulge every now and then and being honest to yourself about what you are eating. It also doesn't help to eat natural foods rather than all the processed stuff. Best of luck and enjoy your holiday! (:
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    I just got back from two weeks vacation and I lost 1.5 pounds. I ate what I wanted but watched portion size and I also stuck to my running program. I did a lot of site seeing as well so there was a lot of walking.

It can be done....good luck!