Has anyone tried Body Pump (by Les Mills)?

Options
1derwhy
1derwhy Posts: 23 Member
I was at the YMCA today, to sign up for a membership, and they had a flyer that they were going to start offering Body Pump classes starting in September. Has anyone done this? What do you think?

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I did it once ... not bad for newbies. Just make sure you have proper form and let the instructor know you're new. It wasn't for me but I know it's usually packed at my gym.
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    Years ago I did Body Pump 3 or 4 times per week. I really liked it and enjoyed the challenge of gradually upping my weights. I've done quite a lot of the other Les Mills' classes too including Body Balance, Body Jam, RPM and Body Attack which was my favourite.
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times and enjoyed it. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?
  • Guinsmom
    Guinsmom Posts: 8
    Options
    I have participated in body pump a few years ago. I believe its a good aerobic and weight training class. Just be sure the instructor focuses on good form/body mechanics. People hurt themselves after repeatedly doing the exercises incorrectly. Enjoy the class, you'll see a difference.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    They do it at the Zumba studio I go to. Never done it but watched it for awhile when I was waiting for my class to start. It was a lot of bar bell lifting. The only thing that seemed strange to me is that everyone was using the same weight which to me seems strange cause I am know there were all different body builds and everyone is capable of doing different weight in there. That may have only been here though.
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a membership through GoodLife, and the Bodypump class they offer is intense. You use a "working load" amount of weight, and the instructer take you through a one hour weight routine.

I had a blast the few times I've gone, and I have a girlfriend who goes weekly. The energy is always so high and everyone is having a great time. The YMCA class is probably the same, if not then really close. I say check it out. If you don't like it, then at least you can say you've tried it.
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do it twice a week. The class has a mix of men, women, young and old. Great work out.
  • 1derwhy
    1derwhy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'll check it out when the class starts. After all, the only thing I have to lose is... About 80 pounds...
  • rubymerryn
    Options
    Body Pump is great! I go pretty regularly (although have slowed down over the past couple months as I focused more on aerobic for fat loss). Like others have said, watch yourself and make sure you don't hurt your body. It's more important to do two reps perfectly than twelve reps straining the wrong muscle group (ALWAYS bend your knees to put down/pick up bar, it's my pet hate, that's how you'll hurt your back!)
    GOOD LUCK. Just don't ignore your aerobics if you're after fat loss!
    All this talk of pump, I think I'm going to go to a class tonight!
    :)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes, it's def more weights than cardio, and a helluva workout. If i haven't done it for a while the squats really get me, I have trouble walking for a few days! It's pretty intense on the shoulders too, but good. Take it easy with the weight the first couple of times until you find your level. I also love Body balance (also les mills), which is a pilates/yoga/tai chi combo for toning up.