Anyone with an anxiety disorder...?

Options

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    ive self diagnosed myself with an anxiety disorder too. i havent been to the doctors yet, ive struggled with addiction in the past so i doubt they will prescribe me anything anyways. I have social anxiety. Im not sure what triggers it though, but its only every so often out in public places where theres lots of people. I start to get panic attacks. Its not all the time though, its kind of hit or miss, but theres def something there. Last one was at a SMALL party, i freaked out so bad i RAN to the bathroom and stayed there for about 15 minutes until i chilled the hell out. The only thing that ive found that helps me not to get them so much is to cut caffeine out. The most i can handle is about one diet soda, if i drink more i kinda get crazy. I also talked to a friend about my issues a while back, and since then ive noticed they've settled down a little bit as well.

The meds they would give you for anxiety disorder are not really addictive, in the sense that you can get addicted to them and need them. They're not like pain killers or Ritalin, or Adderall.

I beg to differ. Anxiety medications, or benzodiazapines, absolutely are addictive. That is why they are classified as a controlled substance. People go to detox/rehab for benzo addiction. People develop tolerance and have to take higher doses over time to get the desired effect from the medication. Ativan, klonopin, xanax, valium, librium....
    If people need medication for anxiety, they want to try the SSRIs, or antidepressants. At higher doses they are effective for anxiety disorders.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Meds can help you get started on a new direction. It is very hard to change your brain chemistry on your own.

Meds can give your brain a break and help you see your anxiety with a different perspective. You have to be able to look at all of the issues around the anxiety in order to come up with a strategy to learn to live with it. It won't just go away on it's own.

I have years of therapy and meds behind me. Still sometimes I freak out. Try the meds and see if they help. You don't have to stay on them but you might learn something by trying. They do help a lot of people.

I used to think meds were a myth, and never trusted any Drs. It was only when I realized that I was being judgemental and not open-minded that I decided to go ahead and give them a try. Meds changed my life ( Depression, anxiety, panic, ED). For me, it's about learning coping strategies and dealing with the cards I've been dealt.

Best of luck to you!
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Meds can help you get started on a new direction. It is very hard to change your brain chemistry on your own.

Meds can give your brain a break and help you see your anxiety with a different perspective. You have to be able to look at all of the issues around the anxiety in order to come up with a strategy to learn to live with it. It won't just go away on it's own.

I have years of therapy and meds behind me. Still sometimes I freak out. Try the meds and see if they help. You don't have to stay on them but you might learn something by trying. They do help a lot of people.

I used to think meds were a myth, and never trusted any Drs. It was only when I realized that I was being judgemental and not open-minded that I decided to go ahead and give them a try. Meds changed my life ( Depression, anxiety, panic, ED). For me, it's about learning coping strategies and dealing with the cards I've been dealt.

Best of luck to you!

LOVE it Sinclare!!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with social anxiety which causes me to have panic attacks. I was on lexapro until I got pregnant and had to stop. I've been handling the social anxiety part fairly well without the meds since my daughter was born but, occasionally, I do still need to take the xanax I was prescribed for the panic attacks, before they become full blown freak outs.
    The meds never affected my weight.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    ive self diagnosed myself with an anxiety disorder too. i havent been to the doctors yet, ive struggled with addiction in the past so i doubt they will prescribe me anything anyways. I have social anxiety. Im not sure what triggers it though, but its only every so often out in public places where theres lots of people. I start to get panic attacks. Its not all the time though, its kind of hit or miss, but theres def something there. Last one was at a SMALL party, i freaked out so bad i RAN to the bathroom and stayed there for about 15 minutes until i chilled the hell out. The only thing that ive found that helps me not to get them so much is to cut caffeine out. The most i can handle is about one diet soda, if i drink more i kinda get crazy. I also talked to a friend about my issues a while back, and since then ive noticed they've settled down a little bit as well.

The meds they would give you for anxiety disorder are not really addictive, in the sense that you can get addicted to them and need them. They're not like pain killers or Ritalin, or Adderall.

I beg to differ. Anxiety medications, or benzodiazapines, absolutely are addictive. That is why they are classified as a controlled substance. People go to detox/rehab for benzo addiction. People develop tolerance and have to take higher doses over time to get the desired effect from the medication. Ativan, klonopin, xanax, valium, librium....
    If people need medication for anxiety, they want to try the SSRIs, or antidepressants. At higher doses they are effective for anxiety disorders.

My sister takes Lexapro for anxiety disorder, and it is a SSRI. So that is what I was thinking about when I wrote that. But you are right though about valium, etc. But the poster could explain her issues to a doc, and they perhaps may subscribe a SSRI.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Deep breathing excercises really do help. And, no, I don't plan on even asking for meds, or letting the suggestion come out of my new docs mouth. I have thought about wether or not to take them for over a year, and i'm certain I do not want them. But if anyone has more coping strategies, that would be nice to hear as well. Also, please feel free to continue to write of your experiences. Also, has anyone's nonmedicated anixiety/form of anxiety disorder had any influence on weight gain or loss?

(Also, I get the feeling that everyone's responses are actually doing good for more people than just myself. Please try to keep this thread open. I don't believe that there's another line of communication for people with ANY disorder on this site.)
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Deep breathing excercises really do help. And, no, I don't plan on even asking for meds, or letting the suggestion come out of my new docs mouth. I have thought about wether or not to take them for over a year, and i'm certain I do not want them. But if anyone has more coping strategies, that would be nice to hear as well. Also, please feel free to continue to write of your experiences. Also, has anyone's nonmedicated anixiety/form of anxiety disorder had any influence on weight gain or loss?

(Also, I get the feeling that everyone's responses are actually doing good for more people than just myself. Please try to keep this thread open. I don't believe that there's another line of communication for people with ANY disorder on this site.)

I use the word "also" an awful lot... XD
  • bluegrassgirlygirl
    Options
    I also have anxiety disorder! This is why I've been struggling with my weight. I seem to eat when anxious. My son had to be hospitalized with depression a couple months ago, and since he has been home I seem to have a lot of days I struggle with my anxiety therefore eating out of control !! I won't take medication from the doctor because they all have caused me weight gain, so I try daily to handle things better and relax.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I also have anxiety disorder! This is why I've been struggling with my weight. I seem to eat when anxious. My son had to be hospitalized with depression a couple months ago, and since he has been home I seem to have a lot of days I struggle with my anxiety therefore eating out of control !! I won't take medication from the doctor because they all have caused me weight gain, so I try daily to handle things better and relax.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's hospitalization. I hope you're both doing well.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    No offense but it doesn't sound like you are dealing w/ it very well. The need to control your personal items and not being able to face stress is effecting your quality of life. The doctor is a doctor for a reason if you do not take the meds you will never know if they help. Plenty of people take meds for anxiety refusing to take the pills doesnt make you stronger than them just sicker. If you are not in counseling I would recommend it.

Actually, there are many good reasons not to take meds for anxiety. Neuroscience (and our modern treatment of anxiety) is relatively new, and medication is still a far from perfect or easy solution. There are many side effects that come part and parcel of common anxiety medications, and as of yet there isn't any firm, specific 'anxiety' drug. It's a work in progress, but the decision to use medication should not be assumed to be a cure-all or necessarily even helpful. Some are quite dangerous - a reason many prefer behavioural therapy, which comes with fewer risks and a measurable success rate, over the unknown factor many medications tend to be.

I think perhaps you would benefit from some research in this area prior to making suggestions to others, particularly when said suggestions have an air of judgement about them. Brain chemistry is not as simple or well-understood as you seem to be assuming. Realistically, our base of knowledge has a distance to go - remember that it was not so long ago that lobotomies, insulin-induced comas and electroshock therapy were used without the slightest concern.

I had had plenty of research. I am minoring in psychology & I have a trauma induced anxiety disorder. I have had meds & counseling and know many others who have anxiety. If you look @ my post I did not recommend a certain medication. As I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) you are not a doctor and are undoubtedly less educated on the subject than her doctor who prescribed her meds in the first place. This is not the past this is now and when you are sick and a proven cure (unlike what you used for your examples) is available you take it. You have your own prejudices of the medical field that's fine but don't make it sound as though my opinion is wrong & yours is right because you really don't know what the right course is either :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I had had plenty of research. I am minoring in psychology & I have a trauma induced anxiety disorder. I have had meds & counseling and know many others who have anxiety. If you look @ my post I did not recommend a certain medication. As I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) you are not a doctor and are undoubtedly less educated on the subject than her doctor who prescribed her meds in the first place. This is not the past this is now and when you are sick and a proven cure (unlike what you used for your examples) is available you take it. You have your own prejudices of the medical field that's fine but don't make it sound as though my opinion is wrong & yours is right because you really don't know what the right course is either :)

I'm also minoring in psychology, and just to clarify, I wasn't given medication, because I made her throw away the prescription. I understand that the response you responded too was slightly wrong in the timeline, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this person doesn't know anything. They were just incorrect on that one point. The decision not to take meds is a personal one, and anyone not choosing medical therapy should at least be offered behavioral or cognitive therapy and be taught coping methods to compensate for the lack/damge of stable ones. No one therapy HAS to be more effective than another. As a psychology student, and one who has had both meds AND counseling, I'm hoping that you can undestand where I'm coming from.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I wish the psychology field WOULD start to do that, Kittygamer. It took me a lot of years to realize that they are prescribing treatment based on imperfect science.

Medical doctors and Psychiatrists prescribe drugs. That is what they do. I wish they gave more options.

See if you can change that! A practice based on Positive Psychology and alternative methods would be much better, but good luck with the insurance companies. God forbid we do something that doesn't involve a "procedure" or a drug. I would be great if MDs would start prescribing healthy diet and exercise, too. Instead of waiting until we need hypertension drugs and injectable insulin and limb amputation.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    @cmriverside: actually, your message to me made me think much more strongly on this subject! many doctors jump straight to medication far too often, because that's what's been the culture for many years and ultimately the response that's come to be expected. :)

To anyone: I'm not knocking meds as bad/uneccesary/evil. I would still love to hear what other people have to say on the various points brought up in this thread, and also, your progress with your disorder and any coping skills that have helped you, medicated or otherwise. Remember, this isn't just for me. I know other people are reading, and just not choosing to respond, which is perfectly fine. The more opinions/information/stories we can offer each other, the better.

As many people have already stated: TALKING HELPS. :smile:
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options

I'm also minoring in psychology, and just to clarify, I wasn't given medication, because I made her throw away the prescription. I understand that the response you responded too was slightly wrong in the timeline, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this person doesn't know anything. They were just incorrect on that one point. The decision not to take meds is a personal one, and anyone not choosing medical therapy should at least be offered behavioral or cognitive therapy and be taught coping methods to compensate for the lack/damge of stable ones. No one therapy HAS to be more effective than another. As a psychology student, and one who has had both meds AND counseling, I'm hoping that you can undestand where I'm coming from.

I totally respect your right to not take meds. My problem was that the other person made it sound as though medication for anxiety was on the same level as lobotomy. I do not take any addictive meds because I prefer not too though they were offered. I am still in counseling, I do yoga, meditation & I watch my diet. Not all of that is related to my anxiety but it all makes me feel better. I hope whatever you do it helps and works for you. Just keep your options open. There is always another "cure" on the horizon.
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed by a doctor, but I know I have OCD and Hypochondria.I have made myself find solutions that reduce or completely eliminate my anxiety because I do not want to be on medication and I do not want my life taken over by my issues.

If I get new anxiety I talk myself through it trying to figure out what caused it. There is usually a specific incident that caused it. If you can figure it out it helps you form a plan instead of feeling helpless thinking some mystery thing "x" creeped upon you. Sometimes the stressor is understandable.

For my weight loss, I have found that counting calories relieves a lot of anxiety.

I'm sincerely interested on what led you to focus on how your things are doing. If you don't feel embarrassed could you give a specific example of something you're having difficulty managing.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with BP 2 & OCD for many years. Some meds made me gain weight (see fat photos) after many trials and errors, I've found what works best for me.

In January I started MFP. I've got some physical limitations but I KNOW that exercise and diet have totally changed my outlook, spirit and determination to manage my illness. A doctor once told me that taking an asprin a day might prevent a stroke. She said that taking meds could prevent an ugly episode. I know where I was when it was bad and never want to go there again. For me, meds with counseling and learning behavior modifications helped.

I'm still freaky about cleaning, rituals and way overthink things. But I'm better and each of us need to seek to understand ourselves as well as others with an open mind. OP I know you choose not to take meds and it's good for you. Those of you who are struggling and decide to take them, have open communication with your doctor and ask about the side effects. Many list weight gain or weight loss. I know this... stuffing my face with food is not the answer.

Healthy thoughts to you all
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    My husband has anxiety. He does not take medication. When he has an anxiety attack we just chill out, talk about what is stressing him out, I reassure him that everything is okay. It only interferes with his weight loss because he'll reach for a beer to chill out or we have to stop a bike ride because a certain rode makes him nervous.

Only you can decide how badly it interferes with your life. If you feel like you can manage it without pills, then rock on.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed by a doctor, but I know I have OCD and Hypochondria.I have made myself find solutions that reduce or completely eliminate my anxiety because I do not want to be on medication and I do not want my life taken over by my issues.

If I get new anxiety I talk myself through it trying to figure out what caused it. There is usually a specific incident that caused it. If you can figure it out it helps you form a plan instead of feeling helpless thinking some mystery thing "x" creeped upon you. Sometimes the stressor is understandable.

For my weight loss, I have found that counting calories relieves a lot of anxiety.

I'm sincerely interested on what led you to focus on how your things are doing. If you don't feel embarrassed could you give a specific example of something you're having difficulty managing.

Of course. You know how "normal" (i.e. no disorder) people "panic" or "freak out" about things? It's like that with my personal items, but a little worse.

I read like I need to breathe. I have so many books that I litterally ran out of space and had to resort to a sort of messy yet organized stacking system on the floor of my room. That worked for me. Still works for me. Normally, my memory isn't the best a person could ask for, but I could find ANYTHING in those stacks, in relation to anythings else in my room or other stacks.

A few years ago, one of my parents decided they didnt like the way i was cleaning and decided to "clean" for me... I couldn't find anything. They even put my clothes away. All I could think was that everything had to be fixed immediately. So not only was I hyperventilating, I was also moving at top speed to "fix" everything to it's previous state. I cannot use normal organization tools, because that throws me off and I end up losing everything. My parents are organization freaks. If I cannot find something, and have to ask SOMEONE ELSE where my things are, something is wrong in my eyes. Someone without the disorder would hypothetically pitch a fit and leave things the way they were...I simply cannot, because I cannot function that way. Both before anxiety kicked in when I was much younger and now.

My grandmother uses the same sort of disorganized organization as well, so I don't categorize it with my anxiety, simply as a habit. The anxiety just makes the habit a necesity to maintain because, for me, that is what reduces my stress. It has never progressed to anything beyond the confines of my personal space (my room). My things at school, my things when I'm out with friends/my boyfriend, when i'm visiting someone's house, none of that has EVER been a problem. Just my room.
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with depression & anxiety. I think the major downfall is it makes me too nervous to go to the gym by myself. I want to so much, I quite enjoy going [I've been a couple times with my sister but she now refuses] as I just put my music on & get on with it but now that I have no one to go with.. I'm too scared. I get too nervous. I go through every bad scenario in my head & it just stops me in my tracks. It's completely crap.
    I really want to take medication for both the depression & anxiety but my doctor & psychologist won't do it for me. They think I can solve the issues by 'talking it out' which is, again, complete crap. I know I need the medication to get on with my life the way any one else would, to have a normal life. Taking daily pills doesn't bother me, I already do that with multi-vitamins & stuff so it won't be annoying but nope, they refuse. I hate them for it.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    My husband has anxiety. He does not take medication. When he has an anxiety attack we just chill out, talk about what is stressing him out, I reassure him that everything is okay. It only interferes with his weight loss because he'll reach for a beer to chill out or we have to stop a bike ride because a certain rode makes him nervous.

Only you can decide how badly it interferes with your life. If you feel like you can manage it without pills, then rock on.

I'm happy to have another supporter of someone with anxiety respond! I think it's wonderful that you support your husband so much. My SO does the same things with me to help me cope!

Would any other supporters be willing to comment on these topics, as well as those with anxiety? Remember, it doesn't matter if you/they are medicated or not. It's just about having an open environment going for everyone if possible, not just me.