My Lesson in Serving Size

Options
I took my kids to TCBY tonight for a Friday night treat figuring it was better than the other ice cream alternatives out there. I looked on MFP before I went and saw that a serving size was 1/2 cup/4 oz. and was 120 calories. A few MFP items also listed that was equivalent to a "small". Okay, great! So, off we went.

I was a good girl and ordered a small. As we ate our treats, I got up to get more napkins and noticed the nutrition chart near the register. As I was reading the chart, the serving size agreed with most of the MFP listings, 120 calories for 4 oz. serving. Great again! Then off to the right I noticed that a "small" was equal to 2.15 servings. Unfortunately for me, I assumed (you know what they say about assuming) that the 4 oz. meant that it was a small. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that. I knew when I got my "small", it was definately bigger than 1/2 cup.

Interestingly enough, nowhere on TCBY's website that I could find does it show you how many servings are in each size.

So, that's my lesson in serving sizes for today. Just another reminder to pay closer attention to the fine print!

Replies

• karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd email the company. That is rather deceitful. :-/
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    My lesson in serving size was in Walmart's cajun trail mix. After it was all said and done...1.25 cups later...800 CALORIES!!! The serving size is 1/4 a cup!! So don't feel bad about the ice cream...lol
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think that may be one of the most valuable thingss I've learned from MFP. I can pretty much estimate now, but at the beginning I was measuring EVERYTHING. I'm still not very good at estimating meat though. I may need to invest in a small kitchen scale soI can get better at that. :)
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'd email the company. That is rather deceitful. :-/
    with this
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream out of my work out a 4 oz dressing cup. You don't realize how much ice cream that ISN'T until you actually measure it out...so sad.
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    Yes, if you read the nutrition facts, there are SO many items that are only giving you 1/2 or even less of the facts!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Always keep in mind too, that anything not pre-packaged at a factory is subject to the individual server/chef/cook's whims.
    The nutritional data provided by the company's website is determined by a specific weight of food. But.........that's not to say that the person ladling the sauce or dressing onto your plate is weighing anything at all.
    We went to McDonald's yesterday to get ice cream cones. The nutritional information lists the low fat vanilla ice cream cone at 3.2 ounces and 150 calories. I'll bet my cone was nearly twice that size, 'cause the server was being very generous. It would be very naive of me to log in 150 calories when I know better. ;-)