MOMS! When do you find time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i do my exercise in the morning while my 21month old is still asleep.. then i do more when she takes her nap around 1 :)
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I'm struggling with this right now. I am not a morning person, so even with best intentions, I can't get up 2 hours earlier to exercise. When I am not working, I like to exercise when my youngest is napping. By the time I get them in bed (like just now at 10:30) I'm way too tired to exercise. His sleep schedule has been terrible lately, either he won't go to bed or he goes to bed and wakes up in the middle of the night or like 4am and stays up until hours later. This week has been a struggle. I may have to bite the bullet and join a gym so I can drop my kids to a nursery because I absolutely can not work out when my youngest is awake as he hangs all over me and cries.
  • tiffwhit16
    tiffwhit16 Posts: 76
    Options
    When my kids were real young I would work out in the mornings. Now that they are old enough to keep up we try to include them in exercise too. I want them to form good habits when they're young!

My son and daughter jumps in and starts to exercise. My daughter is 2. I love watching them workout with me but after 15 minutes I tell them I need mommy time. :)

I never really thought about including the kids in working out until this summer when my husband started taking bike rides with our son. Now, we go almost everyday. The kids love it (and it gets them off the video games). We're up to about 7 miles a day. I know it's not much to those who ride all the time, but we're just beginners!!
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Working out during summer is real hard. To be honest I do what ever works. I do have a specific window that I workout. The kids have a feel for when that time is. For me that works its kind of training them. They ask" mom are you goin to workout"I stick with mid mornings right after snack. I also have stuff the litttle ones play with in the general area. They like the thigh toner band,the push up bars etc.... the key is only stuff they get to play with only when I workout, it could be anything. Sometimes they are too loud to have with me that's when new library books and even sometimes tv. They like umizumi. So I workout during that time frame. Be creative don't give up,the longer you stick to it the easier it gets.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I am a morning exercise mama, while everyone is still in bed. Up around 4am workout complete by 5:30-5:45, I get ready, then I wake up the little one to get him ready. Most mornings we are out the door by 7am. I then get my second wkout in as soon as we get home from work/school. I did find that mornings are not for everyone nor all exercises. I can only do cardio in the mornings which rev my energy levels all day and strength at night which calms the body after a good burn. Hope you can find a happy median :-)
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Mornings after breakfast is cleaned up and settled. Not sure how I'll work it all out once I'm back in school this fall, but I'll figure something.

Right now I do then after they are fed in the morning, but when school starts I've got to figure out something else. When the weather is good we can walk in the park. When the timing is right we can go to the Y for classes use the pool, depending on what's going on. I've got a treadmill at home, just thinking it will be tricky figuring out when to use it. Can't do early morning since it will wake people up & hubby is on call/swing shift. :(
  • mbennion
    mbennion Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I exercise either when my son is sleeping or I've also found some Zumba and Spin classes to take in the evening when my husband gets home.
  • zundelag
    zundelag Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like to do Yoga in the morning just before my kids get up. Also later int he morning I go to the gym a couple of times a week for classes. When my kids were MUCH younger, I would go to the gym or just run in the evening after DH came home. O.k, some nights he would "throw" me out of the house so I could get a workout in. He needed me to be sane as much as I did.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do it when my LO is taking his afternoon nap. I can let my DD watch her special show (it's her time to watch TV alone and she gets to pick since every other time they watch TV it is something educational) and hopefully hop on the treadmill. When she starts school in the fall I plan to take a walk after I drop her off with DS in his stroller or in a backpack.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I've found that any time I actually plan a time to work out it lasts for about a week. Tried getting up in the am before Hubby left for work. Lasted about 2 weeks and my 7 month old decided he wanted to get up all hours of the night again.
    Then I decided I would work out after my Hubby got home. Work picked up so now he gets home around 10 or 11.
    If I try to do it at nap time nap time changes lol. I have shared custody of my 2 girls so when I have them I can usually bribe them with something to watch my 3 yr old while the baby is napping. But that is only every other week.
    So I've just started doing it when the opportunity shows up. Worse thing that happens is I have to work out at 10 or 11.
  • NavyWifeTwinMom
    NavyWifeTwinMom Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning mama:-) I also home school and the boys are involved in a school co-op and have my own photography business...So my day gets busy pretty quickly! If I don't get up and get me done first, I find that I fall off the list LOL
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I started working out in the afternoon, while the kids play or watch TV. Sometimes the baby likes to climb on me while I do any kind of crunches or planks, but other than that, it's mostly been smooth going. Before the workout, I let the kids know I'm going to doing my exercise, that it will take X number of minutes, that there are some snacks in the fridge if they get hungry, and if they need something from me I'd appreciate it if they'd ask before I start or wait until I'm done (unless it's an emergency). It's worked pretty well so far. Every now and then they'll wander through and start doing jumping jacks or squats with me. :bigsmile:

I've started doing C25K with two other mama friends, and we meet at the local high school to run on the track, and we bring the kids along. The kids play together in the field inside the track while the moms run -- it's not always easy, since we still have to meet our kids' needs, but it's working out better than I expected and the kids are getting used to it.

This morning, I got to go for a run with one of my friends, and we both left our kiddos home with their dads... that was also nice. :-)
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    at night.
    when i get home from working double shifts and after my kids are in bed.
    if i get luck and i only have to work one, then i try to do it right before it's time to cook supper and make the husband watch the kids,
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wake up with the bf at 5:30 and exercise before the kids wake up or if I sleep in I wait until the bf gets home and work out then
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Usually in the morning! It is a family event so I try to get all the kids involved in whatever we are doing. Sometimes Zumba, sometimes walking, and they love kickboxing. You just gotta fit it in when you cAn and get creative. I really love watching my 4 year old son do punches and my 1 year daughter loves to dance to Zumba. Keeps me going! My 8 year old son loves to do the yoga type moves and core work. And my oldest daughter (12) is like my dance coach. It is good!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    We homeschool and my kids are older, so I have different challenges than I did when they were little. Our schedule changes every day, so I fit exercise in whenever I can that particular day. I prefer to run before everyone else gets up in the morning, but can't always do that. If not, we sometimes go to the park in the afternoon and my oldest runs with me while my youngest rides her scooter or bike. On nights when my kids have classes at the Y, I work out there instead. Strength training and yoga I usually do in the morning. And during the warm months we all go to hoop jams once or twice a week. (Basically a bunch of hula hoopers who get together in the park to hoop it up.)
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    During the week, I workout in the mornings before my kids wake up. I have a 6yr old and a 13month old.

During the weekends, if I workout, I'll wait until my 13month old is napping or if my husband is home, have him keep an eye on her so I can do my workout.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i work full time so my exercises are based mostly in the evening after ive put my daughter to bed. i go to a zumba class in the evening, and am currently doing the 30ds and run once or twice a week! enough to keep me out of trouble. organisation is the key. i leave hubby to keep an eye on dinner whilst im running or at zumba! lol

if any other mums want to add me please do! could do with more mummy friends!
  • wrgawife
    wrgawife Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work full time and so they have a lot of exercise class at where i work at so I exercise during my lunch and then right after work (Zumba, or another aerobic class) and then in the evening after everything I try to sneak anothe thing in whether it's walk the track near my house , or going to the gym with my family, if i am up to it.I think when football season starts I am gonna have to walk while my son's practice. I am loving the results from my 2 hr ad ay workout.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The daycare at the gym allows me to work out any time I want. It's great and only 8 $ extra a month.