Identify Starvation mode

Options
Hi Everyone, ive lost almost 9 Kilos since i started, and i could not be happier, but, reading some of the topics i came upon a question,

HOW do i know if im in starvation mode?.

this came to me since i've always been a pretty big guy, and i just looked at the mirror and found well... less of myself, and i would like to think that ive lost muscle and not fat.

Replies

• elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    *Woah, that was a wierd edit, sorry, everything deleted.*

I figured out I was in starvation mode when I stopped losing weight for an excessive period of time. And I also had a hard time eating even 1200 calories. Me? Not be hungry? Something's wrong there.

Oh, and when I upped my calories, I lost more weight than when I first started. Weird stuff.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not as easy to "get into" there is alot of misinformation about starvation mode. I am pretty positive you are probably not in starvation mode.

If your weight loss is slowed or stopped your body is probably adjusting (which it needs to do) change something up, keep your body guessing and it will get going again.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You usually lose you appetite, and stop losing weight. You'll also sometimes notice generalized weakness, because you body is basically using your muscle mass to feed your body.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is mostly myth, there is a slowing of metabolism after eating too few calories for too long, but it's hard to tell when that would start and it wouldn't stop you from losing weight.

However, you seem concerned about losing muscle. This is a valid concern because if you eat too few calories, don't lift weights and don't get enough protein you will lose a good amount of muscle along with fat.