Sodium - Is it really the devil?

Options
I've been living in Korea the last two years. While I love Korean food, it is definitely high in sodium. Many of the side dishes are dripping with soy sauce or fermented pastes. White rice is a staple here, so in avoiding that, I tend to eat a lot of delicious kimchi and/or fermented bean paste based soups. These tend to be high in fiber and protein, but also sodium.

While I know sodium can increased blood pressure, my numbers rocked when I last had it checked (a couple years ago and 25 lbs heavier, too!). Also, I drink water like it's my job. So my question is, for someone in good health, good blood pressure, excellent cholesterol, not overweight, etc etc, is sodium all that disastrous?
The only thing I don't like is the bloating. Will drinking a ridiculous amount of water and tea help prevent retention?
Is there a good reason a fit and healthy young person should avoid sodium?
Thanks!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be ok as far as the health effects go. You seem to be doing just fine after two years. Just keep drinking that water!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi there. I'm a nutrition professional and read LOTS of studies and article and I have to say that I am not falling for it. Yes, you shouldn't overdo it and yes, if you have high blood pressure you need to monitor your response to higher sodium foods. For me - I also drink water like its my job (love that phrase now) and I try not to overdo. If you have a higher sodium meal (ie: eating out) - stay away from the scale for a day or two. Other than that - lots of fruits/veg/whole grains and everything in moderation. :heart:
  • Victoriaaah
    Options
    I know what you mean about the Korean food and sodium b/c my mother is Korean, and I cook and eat Korean food. Water is the key. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables will also help balance the sodium. Rice is so high in calories, but it helps balance out the salty flavors.

Other than the bloating, I have no idea about sodium hurting you. Good Luck! :)
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It depends on how susceptible you are to inflammation (water weight gain). For me, sodium truly is the devil. I do not have high blood pressure, but sodium interferes like crazy with fat loss if you are one of those people whose weight fluctuates by 5+ pounds on a daily basis. Excess water is held in every cell of your body, especially fat cells. When fat cells are full of water, the chemical processes that 'find' fat to be converted to energy is greatly diminished. This water retention looks like fat and feels like fat because it increases the size of each fat cell. For people who don't have a problem with this, the excess sodium is easily flushed from the body by being well hydrated. If you are the type that because of hormone imbalances, stress, or over exercise eating fewer calories does NOTHING to help break the cycle, it just causes more stress and more water weight gain and these are the people who can only go forward in their weight loss my reducing sodium and drinking more water to get rid of the excess inflammation.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    AS LONG AS YOU BALANCE YOUR SODIUM AND POTASSIUM INTAKE THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY PROBLEMS HEALTH WISE. YOU NEED BOTH FOR YOUR BODY TO FUNCTION. JUST DON'T OVER DO IT.