Stinky workout clothes

Options
ting001
ting001 Posts: 15 Member
Does anyone have a tip for getting the sweaty smell out of workout clothes? Obviously, normal washing does not take care of this!
Thanks!

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Add a 1/4 c. baking soda to the wash...should do it!
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I think it is Tide that now makes a special detergent for workout clothes.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    oxi clean! Love it, it takes the smell out of everything, I just add it with my regular detergent.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I just use regular Tide, then Downy Softener. Even my 13-yr-old's stinkiest clothes smell good.

I think other laundry detergents just can't do what Tide does. I used to use Surf (smells great on its own), but doesn't handle the clothes.

I had searched for the same topic online a few years ago, and decided to bite the bullet and pay more for Tide. It does work.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    The cheap answer is to soak the clothes in vinegar water before washing. 1 C vinegar and the clothes in the soak cycle for half an hour. I buy the cheapest white vinegar I can find by the gallon.
  • zundelag
    zundelag Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hang them out and let them dry under the sun. Unless you have allergies, then it might not be a good idea.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Do you have really hard water? I know I've never had a problem with workout clothes, but cloth diapers can be a beast with our incredibly hard water. I have to soak them in baking soda and water overnight, and then use a clean-rinsing detergent (something without any dyes, perfumes, or brighteners, because those deposit on your clothes, build up, and can actually make smells worse over time), to really get them fresh smelling. I also sun-dry them, either outside or in a window, because that kills bacteria build-up. Maybe something like that would help? What detergent do you use?