Whine, hold the cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    All the girls at my office know that I am trying to loose weight. One day one of my coworkers asked how much I've lost and I told her around 25 lbs. She said "oh really...you can't tell". I was crushed. But whatever I feel awesome. My energy level has skyrocketed in the past two months. I sort of wonder what they will say when I've lost 100 lbs.

People can be so oblivious to other's feelings. They should've said, "That's fantastic!" or "Wow, that's great!" or "Good for you!"
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds and no one really says much of anything to me. My mom (who doesn't see me as I'm living in another state) tells me I'm too skinny when she sees pictures and my long distance boyfriend obsesses over it (in a good way) when he sees pictures. He spent 10 minutes talking about how skinny and great I look when he saw me in June :D I guess people don't know how to approach it without offending you. I don't care, I want them to be like "YOU LOOK AWESOME!" I know I was chunky before.. that's why I worked so hard!
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I think for your height and weight it probably IS noticeable. Some people don't know how to say it though. They don't want to imply that you needed to lose weight to begin with.

On the other hand, people may think you're too thin and not want to encourage an eating disorder. And obviously, I haven't seen your pictures so I'm not implying that myself. But I know a bunch of older ladies that get judgemental about thinner younger people.

Maybe they're jealous.

Good for you for working on a healthier you!

Thank you for the encouragement! I appreciate it.

I'm sure nobody thinks I''m too thin. I am short and have a small bone structure, and moreover (this sounds weird) I have a short torso, so when I put on weight it matters right away. 20 lbs = 4 sizes on my frame.

I think part of the reason I'm whining is that I feel like I'm getting into that "invisible middle aged woman" category, where people just look at me and see "mom" and the difference between "plump middle aged mom"and "less plump middle aged mom" is not remarkable. I also think I'm whining because it is SO much harder to lose weight at this age. In my 20's I lost about 35 lbs on Weight Watchers and it was not nearly as hard as losing these 8.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies,and I think we are all doing great!!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's hard to reconcile our inner self with the "plump middle aged mom" that we see in the mirror. I've lost 55lbs and I've had a few people notice & comment - but the best laugh I had was after getting a totally different hair cut. This guy I know comes into the office where I work at least everyday and sometimes twice a day - he's never ever said a word about my losing weight, but he noticed the hair-do right away and says "Gosh, you're looking good today - new haircut??" Go figure - LOL