Thanksgiving!!?? Help!

Options
I have a question....Who do you people make it through Thanksgiving without killing what you have gained so far? I love Thanksgiving..the turkey, sweet patatoes, corn, stuffing..etc. The good news is...is that I am cooking it this year. Any suggestions?

Replies

• titans6us
    Options
    I have a question....Who do you people make it through Thanksgiving without killing what you have gained so far? I love Thanksgiving..the turkey, sweet patatoes, corn, stuffing..etc. The good news is...is that I am cooking it this year. Any suggestions?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....make substitutions where you can! Also, don't drag Thanksgiving all the way to Christmas. Indulging a bit on Thanksgiving DAY won't hurt you so much...but if it goes on for an extended period of time....that's where the trouble is. :flowerforyou:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....make substitutions where you can! Also, don't drag Thanksgiving all the way to Christmas. Indulging a bit on Thanksgiving DAY won't hurt you so much...but if it goes on for an extended period of time....that's where the trouble is. :flowerforyou:

This is what happens to me every single year! I've read where the average person gains 7lbs from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I plan to change that this year. It's hard when co-workers bring in all that Christmasy food from Dec 1 on!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I am going to take the day off. Its not fair the whole country is having a yummy meal and we have to restrain ourselves.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You know I agree with taking the day off for Thanksgiving. I mean I will still exercise that day and log what I eat even though I know it will be way over but it ends there. Friday the 28th is another day and that day is not Thanksgiving so it back to the hard work.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Couple of things

1) eat a lower calorie breakfast that day
    2) try to eat early mid-afternoon - so you don't have to eat lunch and maybe not dinner
    3) focus on salads if you have them, and vegetables, and of course white meat turkey
    4) try a little bit of potato/stuffing/yams...but only a little to enjoy
    5) If you are having dessert - try to eat it later (after the football games) - and if you have fresh fruit with fat free whip - try that. Otherwise...try to have the healthiest pie...again with fat free whip cream to give some extra treat...and don't have a big piece.
    6) Have it with some coffee and flavored fat free or sugar free creamer for an extra treat
    7) if you have wine...count the calories...and limit yourself to one throughout the dinner - make sure you have no cal drink/water with dinner too.
    8) try to lay off the gravy as much as possible

Hope that helps somewhat!
  • titans6us
    Options
    Thanks, Johnlynn, that does help alot. Thanks to everyone.
  • healthychic
    Options
    Turkey is ok to eat, I usually don't have any gravy, or just a little bit. Try to make mashed potatoes with low-fat ingredients and try not to take a huge mountain of them:laugh:.( Its tempting though.) And I don't like stuffing so theres no problem there. Also, if you make sweet potatoes they have a lot of recipes online about using lowfat carmal to sweeten them. Also, try to cook MORE veggies, because veggies are low in calories. Hope this helps a little bit.

:heart: Danielle
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian so I already had Thanksgiving :laugh: I made it for my fiance and I (we are far away from our families.) We did a roasted chicken stuffed with onions, mixed veggies, sweet potatos, homemade rolls with real butter and pumpkin pie with lite cool whip. SOunds like a crazy number of calories but if you remember your portion control it's not so bad. If you want to indulge, switch to maintenance calories for the day. It's only one day, it's not so bad, you'll do just fine :flowerforyou:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Never deprive yourself of food on a holiday. Eat alittle of everything just do not make yourself sick full. Why not have alittle of everything. I do a run that morning a 5k nothing big it helps that can cover dessert. LOL

Alisha:laugh:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving this year will be easy for me. Cooking for just my husband, daughters won't be making it in. Pies will be the ones he likes, I don't. Mashed potatoes could prose a problem but what the heck I'll exercise more. Christmas on the other hand will be a disaster. Both girls will be home and its my grandson's first Christmas. I'm going to need all the strength I can get for the three weeks the baby is home.:heart: