High Protein -- Low Carb foods?

Options
bobbybdoe
bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
I always seem to go over in the amount of carbs I'm supposed to eat daily and I barely ever hit the amount of protein I need daily. I already have a protein shake or two daily (one after exercise) and sometimes one in the evening as a meal substitution. Well, I know lean meat (chicken, fish, etc.) helps, but do any of you have any recipes that come low in carbs and high in protein? I really need help here guys and gals! :)

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Recipes? Well, I eat a lot of chicken and fish with mushrooms. It's pretty filling. That or I'll have them with romaine lettuce and just keep it simple as a salad. Low in carbs, high in protein right there.

ETA: I like your sig, btw. Excellent, young apprentice. Excellent.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at your food diary. How much did you portion %wise to protein? Generally it should be equal to or less than carbohydrate
  • bobbybdoe
    Options
    I just had a look at your food diary. How much did you portion %wise to protein? Generally it should be equal to or less than carbohydrate

My diet consists of a 40/30/30 ratio. 40% protein, 30% fats, and 30% Carb.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    egg whites, cheese, greek yogurt
  • bobbybdoe
    Options
    Recipes? Well, I eat a lot of chicken and fish with mushrooms. It's pretty filling. That or I'll have them with romaine lettuce and just keep it simple as a salad. Low in carbs, high in protein right there.

ETA: I like your sig, btw. Excellent, young apprentice. Excellent.

Ah, I guess I'll start buying mushrooms. Thanks -- I made it myself in Photoshop :D.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Are you 20 or 15? Your macros may need to be different because you are an adolescent.
  • Rompa_87
    Options
    I would just recommend changing your diet to 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. That's not only easier to hit your protein goals without going over carbs but more beneficial for fat loss and muscle building than having 40% protein
  • bobbybdoe
    Options
    I would just recommend changing your diet to 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. That's not only easier to hit your protein goals without going over carbs but more beneficial for fat loss and muscle building than having 40% protein

Ah okay. I did my current ratio because my Beachbody coach, plus my friend (who's a fitness trainer) recommended it to me.
  • bobbybdoe
    Options
    Are you 20 or 15? Your macros may need to be different because you are an adolescent.
    Almost 15 :D
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

^^ this exactly
  • Rompa_87
    Options

Ah okay. I did my current ratio because my Beachbody coach, plus my friend (who's a fitness trainer) recommended it to me.

Fair enough. But based on academic literature that has examined protien ratios in strength trained individuals some recommend even 15-20% protein is more than enough and anything extra is waste. So 30% more than covers this. Otherwise you will be burning the protein you want to use to fuel your muscles
  • bobbybdoe
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! Changed my goals just now. If I'm doing a hybrid of 2 hardcore exercise programs, how many calories should I be eating? I've been told 2500-2800 -- is that okay?
  • bobbybdoe
    Options

Fair enough. But based on academic literature that has examined protien ratios in strength trained individuals some recommend even 15-20% protein is more than enough and anything extra is waste. So 30% more than covers this. Otherwise you will be burning the protein you want to use to fuel your muscles

Okay then! If there's science behind it, I'm definitely game.
  • Rompa_87
    Options
    For future reference the link to the article abstract can be found here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212752

Okay then! If there's science behind it, I'm definitely game.
  • CoachMBAX
    CoachMBAX Posts: 2
    Options
    You are having trouble hitting your protein numbers because you are eating junk! Mcdonalds? (Twice in a day too!), Reeses pieces? Seriously?
  • CoachMBAX
    CoachMBAX Posts: 2
    Options
    For every study showing that one diet works, there's another diet study saying that it works better but when you are working out twice in one day with two very extreme programs then you are breaking down muscle at a far more accelerated rate. 15%-30% protein in a day might be fine for someone who doesn't workout much but not for someone that works out twice a day and is not to mention a Teenager who's body is still growing and needs even more protein than an adult with the same workout routine. Why do you think most athletes abide by a 50/30/20 protein/carb/fat diet? Simple, because they use their muscles (and thus break down their muscles) much quicker than the average couch potato. Your muscles need the protein. period
  • bobbybdoe
    Options
    You are having trouble hitting your protein numbers because you are eating junk! Mcdonalds? (Twice in a day too!), Reeses pieces? Seriously?

Haha -- sorry Michael about that thread. I was eating a lot of junk the past week (being on the road for 12+ hours and I was saving my protein shakes until I actually worked out. Starving on a half day trip isn't fun, so I had to eat the junk my family picked up (or I would've starved). :[
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    try eating the good ole blue box of mac and cheese and dump a can of tuna in it, mix it up. thats what we did as teen builders. Chocolate milk too after workouts is excellent.
    Omlettes with eggs, ham, veggies
    OATMEAL & protein powder
    Chicken, rice, brocolli
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese has a lot of protein...I'm addicted to the stuff! Just watch the sodium count!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish has 15 g in a can & Chobani Greek Yogurt has 14 or more.

Good for you for taking control of your health and fitness at such a young age. I'm impressed. :o)