Dealing With Your Emotions..

Options
I used to eat my emotions. Sadness/Depression was the one that hit the hardest. That was the time where I wanted all the foods that were bad for you,but tasted oh so good. I'd make myself happy with a value meal from McDonalds an ice cream from Dairy Queen and then half a pan of brownies when I got home, but the truth is, I DON'T want that stuff, I know it won't make me happy anymore. But here is my dilemma, I used to use food to make myself happy, however I don't want that anymore, and there is no desire for it, but now I wonder "how do I deal?" is there something to replace the food? how do you get past sadness or feelings of depression if you don't turn to food anymore?

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things you can do. Turn to working out when your emotions get to you. It's amazing what you burn when you take it out on something.

Go shopping or window shopping.

Call a friend/family member.

Read a book.

Go on a cleaning spree.

If you have a bike, hop on and go ride wherever till you feel better.

The possibilities are endless. :) Good luck and hope this helped.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I deal with depression a lot and I was the same way. I used cooking and eating as a way to make me happy.

I know this is going to sound like a load of BS, but the way to get through it is to discover the root of your unhappiness and start dealing with it. As hard as it is, don't ignore it. It only hurts you in the long run. And if you think it's out of your control, I suggest seeing a doctor and talking to him about options.

But for the moments where you need immediate relief, there's plenty to do. Exercise!! Running is amazing or even just going for a long walk. Dance to upbeat music. Read a book. Give yourself a facial. Watch your favorite movie. Find anything that you love! I normally fix myself a cup of tea and listen to my favorite records. I instantly feel calm during that time!