Turkey burgers!

Options
Does anyone have any good recipes on how to make ground turkey burgers good, but still kind of low in calories? I tried looking up on www.foodnetwork.com, but none of them sounded that great.

Share! Share!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. And as with all food, try not to overcook.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    What exactly is cumin? I don't think I've ever used it!

*edit* I looked it up. Sounds good! I'll try that, thanks!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's a spice. I think it's a ground up seed. It's used often in taco seasoning and chili. I really love it on poultry.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I love turkey burgers! I like to mix a ranch dip packet with mine. Very tastey! But I also like using different kinds of seasonings as well. But I would suggest starting with the rach packet! YUM!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Its like a chili powder, the stuff in tacos that makes them taste "mexicany". lol The only way I can discribe it, hopefully that didn't sound offensive!
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Its like a chili powder, the stuff in tacos that makes them taste "mexicany". lol The only way I can discribe it, hopefully that didn't sound offensive!

i am sooo offended that you said mexicany!!! what do we mexicans taste like!!! lol j/k i acctually think im stealing your word!!! lol thanx:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Keleb_DaWhiz
    Options
    I make bacon ranch burgers....instead of grilling mine I bake it....I mix up the ground turkey with bacon bits and hidden valley ranch mix packet and lemon pepper for more flavor.....I put them on 350-425 depending for 30-45 minutes....hopes this helps.....:)
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just made turkey burgers last night :) >500 calories total with bun and condiments.

Makes 4 patties. We eat 2 and freeze 2 for later.

1 pound ground turkey
    1/2 medium onion finely minced
    1 egg
    bread crumbs (the amount varies)
    1 fat clove of garlic, pressed
    worchestire sauce
    soy sauce
    1/2 tsp cumin
    salt & pepper

Combine the everything except the turkey and breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. That should look kind of yucky now add the turkey and gently combine with your hands so as not to make a terribly dense mixture. That is the purpose of adding the turkey after the other stuff.

It should be very wet and sticky. Add bread crumbs (I used italian flavored) until it will hold its shape when pressed in your hand. I think I use something like a half cup added a little at a time until it's right.

Another tip: For forming perfect patties - chill the mix until it's nice and cold. It will hold its shape better and form the patties on a sheet of wax paper. I dump the whole bowl into the center and sort of karate chop it into four sections. Each quarter can then be formed nice and flat with straight sides right on the paper. Pat it down and use your hands to make them round.

To get them off the paper, don't try and slide a spatula under the patty. This will deform them and ruin the hard work you just did. Flip your spatula over and put it on top of the patty. Lift the corner of the wax paper and turn the patty right side up onto the spatula! :) It works, trust me.

Then, plop it into your pan and don't smash, move or touch it for at least 5 minutes. It WILL come loose when it's ready. Remember, turkey is lighter in color than beef so the browning will look darker, it's not burning I promise! On medium heat, 6 minutes was perfect for mine.

The other trick to making a really delicious burger (turkey, beef, whatever) is to warm/grill your buns. That little detail makes a world of difference. While your patties are resting off the heat, lightly spray your griddle or pan with cooking spray and press your buns (haha!) middle side down to toast up.

This would be great served with sweet potato fries baked in the oven!

This recipe is great for adding things to. Maybe minced jalapeno with pico de gallo for serving a fiesta burger? How about adding in some ground nuts or flax to make it even healthier. It's up to you...
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't use a recipe, I just add minced turkey to onion and various herbs and spices, typically thyme, garlic, chilli, mustard seeds, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and then bind with an egg, shape into burgers and chill before grilling or bbqing.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There was a great one on extreme makeover: weight loss edition. I modified it a bit but you basically take the meat and divide it in half take a triangle of laughing cow cheese ( I cut it into strips to spread it out) and put it in the middle. Put the two halfs together and pinch and round it into a patty. Grill it up for a few minutes and it makes it nice and moist inside. On the show they used a slice of cheese and added some hot peppers and turkey bacon. The bacon can go on the inside or out.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    All of these sound so great! Thanks, everyone!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just make a regular turkey burger and toss salsa on top. lol yum!
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    I make bacon ranch burgers....instead of grilling mine I bake it....I mix up the ground turkey with bacon bits and hidden valley ranch mix packet and lemon pepper for more flavor.....I put them on 350-425 depending for 30-45 minutes....hopes this helps.....:)
    Ohhhhhhhh Yummmmmm!!!
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    these all sound so great! I can't wait to try them :smile:
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do this both with turkey burgers or morning star burgers... I will add a babybel cheese and some pasta sauce, or I will add guacamole and shredded cheese.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I add 1 egg, some oat bran (you could use bread crumbs), Salt, Pepper, chopped up onions to taste, chopped up garlic cloves to taste and fat free feta and parm.

Love love love them!
  • Polly08
    Polly08 Posts: 1
    Options
    I saute 1/2 of a red onion and a few garlic cloves in a little olive oil, and then add it to the ground turkey meat along with a 10 oz. box of frozen spinach, that has been defrosted and well-dried. Sprinkle in some reduced fat, low sodium feta and oregano. Form your burgers and grill as usual.

Serve with a tzaziki-ish sauce: 1/2 of a peeled cucumber, a few garlic cloves, a cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt, and the juice of 1 lemon blended in the food processor.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/pats-stuffed-turkey-burgers-recipe/index.html

Tried this recipe before and it was AH-MAZING! Love love loved it! The cheese and spicy sauce are high fat/calories, but try the reduced fat cheese or smaller slices.... also, use a lower fat mayo for the spicy sauce. I also used a 100 calorie Natures own 'bun' instead of the onion roll they call for.

GO NEELYS!!!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bumping for future. These all sound great!
    This came in my email the other day.

3 pounds ground turkey
    1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
    1/4 c finely diced onion
    2 egg whites, lightly beaten
    1/4 chopped fresh parsley
    1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

In large bowl, mix turkey, bread crumbs, onion, egg whites, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Form into 12 patties.
    cook patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to internal temperature of 180 degrees.
    183 calories
    9.5 g fat
    cholesterol 90 mg