Honda Accord Owners~Advice needed

Options
sgreene87
sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
Looking for anyone on the forums who have expierence with Honda Accords. I am thinking of buying a 1999 Honda Accord for my son. It only has 89K miles on it but I have read on the net that they tend to have transmission problems. Advice is welcomed. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Bethannny
    Bethannny Posts: 66
    Options
    My brother just bought one recently that didn't have too many miles on it, and he always has to jump start it to get it started.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX and it has 256,000 miles on it. So far the worst thing that's happened is that I had to replace the alternator. I have kept a close eye on all my maintenance and its still running great. I love my Accord and fully intend to use it until it completely dies on me. I'm hoping to get it up to 300,000 miles. :D
  • lmanzi219
    lmanzi219 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been driving a honda accord for over 2 yrs now. I absolutely love it. Haven't had any major problems since I bought it. My family also has owned many honda accords as well. My dad owned a civic and my mom is on her second accord. They haven't had any major problems with transmissions or anything else either. Hondas also hold their value better than most other cars on the market. My dad got into an accident in 2006 with his 1996 accord and the insurance company still gave him $10,000 for it. I have nothing bad to say about them. Many of my friends drive honda accords as well, and I have heard nothing but good things. Good Luck! Hope this helps.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have a 03 honda accord for 4 years and i have 121k miles on it and have no problems. The only work I have done to it is tires oil changes, tune up at 100k and a new clutch which was recently. No engine problems or transmission problems. She still drives brand new....

Honda will run forever if the maintance is kept up. It has low miles on it. I would take it to a shop for a look over just in case
  • janehend
    janehend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only thing we buy are Honda's. We have a 1991 Honda Accord that my son drives that we bought new. It has over 250,000 miles on it and we hope to get a couple more years out of it. We hardly ever have to get it repaired. Over the years we have always kept up with the oil changes and I think that has helped so see if you can find out if they kept it well maintained. My Mom has a Honda Accord also and it rarely needs repairs.
  • nelster
    nelster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My records do not go that far back, but the '00 and '01 had transmission issues. Check to see if the '99 used the same transmission. Probably more important to be able to confirm that maintenance records were kept on the vehicle.
  • JoleenHitsPlay
    Options
    Ditto, on the above Honda owner!!! We bought my daughter a 1997 Honda Accord LX in 2002 and it was wonderful (until she wrecked it in 04), Honda's are known for going into the 200+ miles as long as you keep up with the maintenance!! We LOVE Honda's good luck and check the car fax's report!!!
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Took it for a test drive. The air condition did not work at all and there were a couple of other minor issues. Thanks for all of the input, I think we are going to keep looking for now. Still going to keep the Accord on the list of possibilities.