Frustrated!

Options
Frustration - weight is plateaued and even gone up a little. At least measurements are still decreasing slightly. Think I need to decrees calories, it's just so hard. Always eating my workout calories, maybe i shouldn't. Exercising every day: walking/running, & Zumba. Just ordered Gillilan Michael's Ripped in 30. Anyone else here?

5'4"
39 years old, female
SW: 150
CW: 137
GW: 120

Replies

• welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can have a better idea of what might be the issue. I only recommend eating back half your exercise calories if you aren't losing. Weightlifting is a great way to avoid plateauing. Plateau means it time for a change, but it might be a good idea to check your body fat percentage instead of staying so focused on weight.
  • SKilmartin
    SKilmartin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! I feel your frustration! I've been losing weight very slowly. I am currently doing ripped in 30. I love it but am not losing on the scale. I feel like I am toning up and possibly losing inches. I am almost done with week 2. Keep up what you are doing. The weight and inches are bound to come off :)
    Feel free to friend me :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    some thoughts:

- have you recalculated your carlorie targets based on your new weight? Folks say you should do this for every 10 lbs or so
    - make sure you measure/weigh all your food
    - use a HRM to calculate calories burned
    - think about incorporating a high calorie day once a week, or look into zig zagging your calories (search the forums here for more info and use a free calculator for a zig zag schedule on www.freedieting.com)

hang in there!
  • LinzLZ
    LinzLZ Posts: 9
    Options
    I had a friend suggest that every 6 days to go over my calorie goal...She said that your body will get used to a certain amount of calories everyday and will get stuck so when you go over it actually tricks your metabolism into a jumpstart. Your weight may be up the next day but the day or two days later you will almost always drop what you gained and an extra pound or two. I have tried it the past 2 weeks and so far its been true....I have gone back and forth with 2 pounds at a time before loosing it completely. Everyone's body is different...won't hurt to try :) this is what I thought anyway...good luck
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same about bumping up your calories once a week or so...Before I had my son I lost about 35lbs and started with Jenny Craig. When I learned how to eat properly, I stopped JC and continued on my own but I would always find that my husband and I would usually go out to eat and I'd have a bad day on the weekends...but I consistantly lost weight...I think the weekend were my "bad" times and I was eating more, but it would "trick" my body and by my weigh in day I had always lost!
  • karlafales
    karlafales Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with zig zagging or a "free day" - also, you might change up how you are doing your work outs.....try HIT training a couple days a week.

5 minutes walking or normal pace on eliptical, then 1 1/2 minutes as fast as you can....then 5 minutes, then 2 minutes, continue this for 20-30 minutes.

Strength training too, but not the lift a few and then go on. You need to exhaust your muscles. Take three lifts, do 15 of each, 3 times. Then do a cardio like jumping jacks, step ups, power squats, or mountain climbers for 1 -2 minutes in between.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If your measurements are still decreasing than you are still making progress. Do not stop eating back your exercise calories. Many people do this thinking at will help them lose faster only to find that they stop losing at all. It is important that you continue to eat close to the calorie goal that MFP gives you each day including eating to replace most of your exercise calories.

It is a good idea that you are going to start a new exercise routine. If you usually do the same exercises your body gets used to and more efficient at them and you don't get quite as much benefit. It is a good idea to mix it up and vary your routine week to week.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am the same height:) I too felt that way and stopped logging for a while and have come back and am SLOWLY dropping those lbs. I try to add different fruits each week to mix things up. I run a few times a week and swim once. Have not tried zumba, but I am interested now. Keep on moving and know it is okay to step away for a bit as long as you come back:)
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Lots of good suggestions to try. I opened my diary & welcome comments.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Shoot for .5 to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I would definitely up your protein. Since I lift weights, I try to get at least 1g per pound of body weight. But I set my macros to 40-30-30 and comes pretty close. I would also recommend possibly eating 5 smaller meals with carbs, protein and fat in eat meal. Eating smaller meals helps keep your metabolism going, keeps you energized which promotes weight loss. But I know that not everybody can eat that often, but it's what got me where I am. It might also be a good idea to try and get your sodium down to 2000 and maybe a little under.
    Do you lift weights?