Anyone on anti-depressents having trouble losing weight?

Options
Help!!!??? Any suggestions....I had severe post-partum depression after my third child, I have recovered completely but my docs want me to stay on lexapro for a while longer. I have 10 more pounds to drop but my scale now for months has not moved. I started logging everything I eat about two weeks ago, but I eat really healthy....I am watching how many calories I intake and drink plenty of water. I excercise 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.....have gone down one dress size but that's it!!! Any suggestions please.....

Replies

• mpf1118
    Options
    Help!!!??? Any suggestions....I had severe post-partum depression after my third child, I have recovered completely but my docs want me to stay on lexapro for a while longer. I have 10 more pounds to drop but my scale now for months has not moved. I started logging everything I eat about two weeks ago, but I eat really healthy....I am watching how many calories I intake and drink plenty of water. I excercise 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.....have gone down one dress size but that's it!!! Any suggestions please.....
  • myomega
    Options
    i was taking lexapro for a while and quit taking it because it didnt work and it also made me not lose ANY weight it would be like a pound a week and i was eating under 500 calories a day and walking 4 miles also. right now im taking valium and it has made me slow down on weight loss because it keeps my heart rate down, but i started taking greentea herbal diet pills and adding cinnamon to my one cup of black coffee and now im back on track and ive lost 20lbs in 2 and a half weeks im so excited. i hope i helped! and good luck! :happy:
  • mpf1118
    Options
    thanks for the info, are you sure that losing 20 pounds in two 1/2 weeks is healthy? What are you doing to lost it so fast?
  • Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    i've been on lexapro for years. i did go off it because i was worried about my weight, but nothing changed when I went off it. everyone is different. you just have to be patient and do what's best for your body, inside and out. if the lexapro is helping your moods than push through than weight. it will come off. shake things up a bit. maybe your pushing to hard. but if the meds aren't helping your moods then it's not worth staying on it.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    i was taking lexapro for a while and quit taking it because it didnt work and it also made me not lose ANY weight it would be like a pound a week and i was eating under 500 calories a day and walking 4 miles also. right now im taking valium and it has made me slow down on weight loss because it keeps my heart rate down, but i started taking greentea herbal diet pills and adding cinnamon to my one cup of black coffee and now im back on track and ive lost 20lbs in 2 and a half weeks im so excited. i hope i helped! and good luck! :happy:

Losing 20 lb. in 2 and a half weeks is not healthy. A pound a week is healthy but eating under 500 calories will just do your body harm in the long run. Your goal should be no more then 2 lb. a week and even that may be to fast for you. Please be careful with the way your losing:flowerforyou: There is nothing wrong losing slowly.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    One whole dress size, wow, good for you. It probably isn't the drug, it is those last 10 nasty pounds that are the hardest to lose for all of us. Keep up the exercise and watching your calories, it will go but s l o w l y. Don't expect it to be gone in a month. Going on four months for me and only 8 out 12 gone :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

Losing 20 lb. in 2 and a half weeks is not healthy. A pound a week is healthy but eating under 500 calories will just do your body harm in the long run. Your goal should be no more then 2 lb. a week and even that may be to fast for you. Please be careful with the way your losing:flowerforyou: There is nothing wrong losing slowly.

-Adrienne:heart:

Yes. Please be careful. You don't want to cause liver or kidney damage. Please talk to a doctor or certified nutritionist. Take care, you only get one body. Don't break it. :flowerforyou:

Some antidepressants do cause you to feel sluggish, I had that problem too. Once I started exercising regularly I no longer needed the drugs, and I was able to stop taking antidepressants.

Maybe your doctor can tweak your dose or switch you to a different drug. ~Cheryl
  • mpf1118
    Options
    Wow, thank you, that was really helpful....I was wondering the same thing, if I were to get off, would I lose any weight anyway....I will continue to push thru and talk to my doc also. Thanks.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

for myself...I've never had issues with Lexapro...I do enjoy the energy it gave me and also on Welbutrin and no issues with that either.... regarding weight etc..

I think all meds work so differently which each persons body:drinker:
  • myomega
    Options
    thank you all for showing support i am kind of struggling with eating right now, but im trying my best not to starve myself and stay healthy
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    myo,

You will lose weight if you just try to think of it as a healthy weight loss. It will take some work, but nothing worth having ever comes easily. We do care about you and no one wants to see you get sick because you aren't eating enough. You will FEEL terrific if you eat the right foods, enough of them, and get regular exercise. I really think the exercise is the thing that will make you feel the best.

Stay with us! :flowerforyou:
  • mpf1118
    Options
    Yes, we do care about you, please be careful. Continue to blog and share with people what you are going thru b/c you will find people out there who understand what you are going thru. I just got an email from another woman who had suffered from Post-Partum Depression (PPD) and it was so helpful to know that there are others out there who have experienced what I have....so share and with that, I'm sure you will find people who will help and support you. Try to get to the root of why you are struggling and I'm sure that revelation will help you thru anything.

I'll be praying for you.....:heart: