Is there such a thing as too much exercise? :0?

Options
Hi friends!

I have a goal set to workout 6 days a week for 30 min... But I usually do 7 days a week at 60 to 90 minutes. I have a strength training day, kickboxing two times, walk/jog two or three days, and then usually yoga or aerobic dance on the extra days. We tend to throw in extra exercise by walking where I need to go pretty often. I like to switch it up. I don't usually eat all my calories and almost never eat into my exercise calories. I have been keeping this svhedule for the last 4 months. I have steadily increased intensity and new things to my regimine. I have incorporated better foods, started watching my sodium, increased my protein. I'm starting a multi-vitamin and adding calcium. My weight loss has slowed to an almost complete standstill. Only 2 lbs lost in the last 6 weeks. Could there be a happy medium between no exercise and too much? Does my food intake possibly account, is it really possible to eat to little when it is set at 1700 a day? Help please.

Replies

• carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You're probably gaining muscle, which weighs twice the amount of fat. More protein + working out = muscle, especially if you doing strength training. It also wouldn't hurt to consume your recommended calories, considering the fact that you work out so much.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Yes you can exercise to much and stop weight loss. Once you drop below eating 50% of your maintenace calories your metabolism will start to slow. Some people would call this starvation mode but either term is not fun.

I would need to see your food logs to see what's going on.

You should also give your body a rest. 1-2 week rest every 3-4 months is good. I usually rest a week every 12-13 weeks.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You're probably gaining muscle, which weighs twice the amount of fat. More protein + working out = muscle, especially if you doing strength training. It also wouldn't hurt to consume your recommended calories, considering the fact that you work out so much.

This is not correct on so many levels. Women can not gain muscle anywhere near how men can. Muscle weighs the same as fat it's just that muscle is smaller pound for pound. And she only does strength training 1 day a week. I do 3-5 days a week and struggle to gain 1 lb per month in muscle.
  • docdevore
    docdevore Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the determination. The fact that you have stayed somewhat steady on weight does not surprise me given the exercise schedule - remember, you will be building muscle at the same time that you lose fat. And as long as you are being honest and realistic about your burn rate from the cardio exercise, don't be afraid to eat into some of those calories. Of course, that assumes that 1700 is the right amount of calories for your BMR the rest of the day. Sounds a little low, but could be right for you.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that you can workout too much but in most cases, your body will adapt to the extra workload. Just look at people who do Cirque du Soleil every day sometimes twice a day. Your body gets used to it. I do believe that one does need to fuel their workouts appropriately. It sounds like you have changed your diet recently which could account for the slowing of your weight loss. It could possibly be water weight. You might want to measure your bodyfat to see if it is going down as well.

For the most part, when people start to plateau, they should check to see if some of the following apply:
    1) Underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out
    2) Working out so hard that they are less active during the rest of the day, effectively cancelling out the workout.
    3) Not updating the calorie goal when they lose weight and effectively eating too many calories.

Then, if they are absolutely sure that none of those apply, try a spike day. It does help some people.
  • kelpaint
    kelpaint Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just met with my trainer (April) who has a Masters degree in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology about this exact same question. I am committed to the gym 6 days a week and work really hard every time I am there but I am not losing pounds. According to April it is a necessity that I eat my calories EVERY day to give my body the energy it needs to lose weight - I was questioning my caloric calculation with exercise - a daily example for me is I am allowed 1200 calories per day then with my exercise calories an additional 750 so I should eat 1950 calories a day - that seemed way too high for me until April put it in perspective - if I don't eat the additional exercise calories then take 1200 (daily allowance) - 750 (exercise) = 450 <
    I am only giving my body 450 calories a day to function and that is simply not enough to function and burn fat. My metabolism will slow and my body will go into a survival mode. I must eat in order to lose.

The past week I really listened to her and ensured I ate the correct amount of calories - I didn't always hit my full calorie mark with exercise calories but I did much better and I have already lost 3 pounds! I made a commitment to April that I would do this for 4 weeks and then we would reassess. She said if my diet is on point then we would look at the option of possible "over training" if I don't lose; however based on this weeks result I don't think that is going to be an issue

I will say 1800-2000 calories is ALOT of food when you are eating the RIGHT kinds of food.

Good luck and congrats on all the great changes you have made so far!!!
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Yes you can exercise to much and stop weight loss. Once you drop below eating 50% of your maintenace calories your metabolism will start to slow. Some people would call this starvation mode but either term is not fun.

I would need to see your food logs to see what's going on.

You should also give your body a rest. 1-2 week rest every 3-4 months is good. I usually rest a week every 12-13 weeks.

I don't ever go less than 50%. My actual goal as set up by MFP is 1780. I try to eat as close to that as possible. I'm not a 'clean eater' but I'm definitely Cleaner Eater. Lots of veggies, leaner protein, nuts, fruits, some dairy and eggs. I also do eat things like bread (gasp) because I have a family to provide for. But the processed foods are sooo much less than they once were.

I am honestly afraid to take a week off. What if the weight comes piling back on?
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    First, congrats on the determination. The fact that you have stayed somewhat steady on weight does not surprise me given the exercise schedule - remember, you will be building muscle at the same time that you lose fat. And as long as you are being honest and realistic about your burn rate from the cardio exercise, don't be afraid to eat into some of those calories. Of course, that assumes that 1700 is the right amount of calories for your BMR the rest of the day. Sounds a little low, but could be right for you.

Thanks! I started in February and I have really made many new and better choices for myself and my family. I'm building life habits.
    I try to not overestimate my exercise, I would rather log on the shallow side. I have my calories set for the 'lightly active' category because I am a stay at home mom and although I really do move all day long it isn't like I burn calories the way someone who walks for their job or does manual labor burns them.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes you can exercise too much if you become addicted to it (such as exercising when injured can make your injury worse etc)

I work out quite a bit, and always get funny looks and told, its not healthy with the amount i do, but aslong as you build yourself up (which is what i did) and you arent suffering from over exercising (you should look it up) and eating properly.

You should keep it up,
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I personally believe that you can workout too much but in most cases, your body will adapt to the extra workload. Just look at people who do Cirque du Soleil every day sometimes twice a day. Your body gets used to it. I do believe that one does need to fuel their workouts appropriately. It sounds like you have changed your diet recently which could account for the slowing of your weight loss. It could possibly be water weight. You might want to measure your bodyfat to see if it is going down as well.

For the most part, when people start to plateau, they should check to see if some of the following apply:
    1) Underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out
    2) Working out so hard that they are less active during the rest of the day, effectively cancelling out the workout.
    3) Not updating the calorie goal when they lose weight and effectively eating too many calories.

Then, if they are absolutely sure that none of those apply, try a spike day. It does help some people.

Thanks for the input!
    I try very hard to be honest in my diary even if it seems like I maybe went over on my sodium or fats. And I try to underestimate my calories burned if I have any doubts about the estimation. I do try to not work out so hard I'm useless the rest of the day. i have a family so I can't be out of commission just cause i walked 4 miles. And my goal does change every 10 pounds lost. should i be changing it more often?

I looking into buying a new scale that measures water weight and body fat. I have no other way to measure that right now.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I just met with my trainer (April) who has a Masters degree in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology about this exact same question. I am committed to the gym 6 days a week and work really hard every time I am there but I am not losing pounds. According to April it is a necessity that I eat my calories EVERY day to give my body the energy it needs to lose weight - I was questioning my caloric calculation with exercise - a daily example for me is I am allowed 1200 calories per day then with my exercise calories an additional 750 so I should eat 1950 calories a day - that seemed way too high for me until April put it in perspective - if I don't eat the additional exercise calories then take 1200 (daily allowance) - 750 (exercise) = 450 <
    I am only giving my body 450 calories a day to function and that is simply not enough to function and burn fat. My metabolism will slow and my body will go into a survival mode. I must eat in order to lose.

The past week I really listened to her and ensured I ate the correct amount of calories - I didn't always hit my full calorie mark with exercise calories but I did much better and I have already lost 3 pounds! I made a commitment to April that I would do this for 4 weeks and then we would reassess. She said if my diet is on point then we would look at the option of possible "over training" if I don't lose; however based on this weeks result I don't think that is going to be an issue

I will say 1800-2000 calories is ALOT of food when you are eating the RIGHT kinds of food.

Good luck and congrats on all the great changes you have made so far!!!

Kelpaint... Okay. That does make sense. But I have a hard time making my head think that I should eat back extra when I'm working so hard to get healthy and lose. With my exercise calories added in today ( a slow day for me) i would have to eat 2300 calorie of good stuff. That is a lot of veggies! :O)) I may try it. Nothing else is working! :O))) Thanks for your response.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Yes you can exercise too much if you become addicted to it (such as exercising when injured can make your injury worse etc)

I work out quite a bit, and always get funny looks and told, its not healthy with the amount i do, but aslong as you build yourself up (which is what i did) and you arent suffering from over exercising (you should look it up) and eating properly.

You should keep it up,

I'll look it up! thanks!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes you can exercise to much and stop weight loss. Once you drop below eating 50% of your maintenace calories your metabolism will start to slow.

Thank you.. this happened to me for 2 weeks .. fighting the same 3 pounds until a fitness trainer taught me to work out 5 days out of the week instead of 7 AND eat more calories.. 1400 instead of 1200..

You know who you are.. Thank you.. Because of you I'm out of "starvation mode" and I've lost 2 pounds in the last 2 days. :wink: :wink:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You don't want to have too much calorie deficit. It can sabotage your efforts. So if your net calorie intake is extremely lower than what you're burning each day (with BMR and exercise), your body may not like it. I know it sounds scary, but you probably need to be eating more.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Interesting article on overexercising:

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/the-dangers-of-over-exercising-4-strategies-to-combat-it-465.html

....but that is not me. Thanks Delicate for the info though. It can become a little bit obsessive.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    You don't want to have too much calorie deficit. It can sabotage your efforts. So if your net calorie intake is extremely lower than what you're burning each day (with BMR and exercise), your body may not like it. I know it sounds scary, but you probably need to be eating more.

Yikes!!!!! eat more! i know , but it just is scary for this still chubby girl.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Yes you can exercise to much and stop weight loss. Once you drop below eating 50% of your maintenace calories your metabolism will start to slow.

Thank you.. this happened to me for 2 weeks .. fighting the same 3 pounds until a fitness trainer taught me to work out 5 days out of the week instead of 7 AND eat more calories.. 1400 instead of 1200..

You know who you are.. Thank you.. Because of you I'm out of "starvation mode" and I've lost 2 pounds in the last 2 days. :wink: :wink:

hmmm.... so when do you cut back again? or do you just stay at the higher rate?