Achilles heel - day off?

Hey guys,
This started about a week ago with my calf muscle getting really tight . . . then after a few days it felt more like my achilles tendon was inflamed. I was working out anyway (treadmill and bikram yoga), but yesterday was my rest day and then this morning my tendon is feeling a bit better. Now I'm wondering if I should take another rest day. Any opinions? Does this need rest to heal, or should I ice it or something?

TIA!

Replies

• PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    If it's that specific of an area I would take another rest day. Maybe try alternating between ice and heat. If you can get out for a walk in the afternoon and it's not too painful it might be good just to stretch it out and get the blood flowing. I would definitely not do anything too hardcore though. Injuring it worse could mean even more time off.
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    If it's that specific of an area I would take another rest day. Maybe try alternating between ice and heat. If you can get out for a walk in the afternoon and it's not too painful it might be good just to stretch it out and get the blood flowing. I would definitely not do anything too hardcore though. Injuring it worse could mean even more time off.

Agreed, don't stress it for another day or two, you don't want to tear that!
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Rest days are a key part of my routine. I ensure that I give my body a chance to recover and not push it so hard all the time with hours in the gym. But even though it's a "rest" day, I still do some stretching, and maybe just a few minutes of light exercises to get the blood pumping. And if your body is giving you pain when you do a specific movement, it's telling you to stop for a while.

I'd say it sounds like an overexertion strain with the calf and tendon pain. Stretching for 5 minutes and having a good warmup session before you get into your workout, along with being fully hydrated would certainly not hurt. But whatever you do, don't "push through the pain" and end up with an injury!"

Good luck, keep at it! =)
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    wow this question was made for me! I stressed mine a year ago and KEPT working out through the pain...eventually I couldn't wak, got a cast, had MRI, spent a ton of money, etc. took almost a year to heal.

So, here's the deal. Stay off it. Ice it. then ice it more. when you're ready, do some gentle stretches....gentle is key. let it heal and yes it takes forever.

treadmill makes it worst. do the bike.

be patient. it will heal, just keep ice on it as much as you can.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Thanks everyone!