Frustrated by comments

Options
I mentioned this morning (when asked) that I wanted to lose another 20 lbs so that I get to the low 130's. I don't think this is unreasonable. Up until recently, I have always been a very small person. I was naturally 105 in college not watching my diet at all and I was always underweight growing up (but always ate lots)!

I know I will never be that size again but I know my body and I know where I am comfortable. I feel that 130 is very comfortable for me and not unreasonble at all. I am 5'5" and building muscle so I think that is a great goal!

The problem is that when I tell this to people they get all judgemental and say it's too low and there is no way I need to lose 20 lbs. They think I am some kind of unhealthy diet and that I am dillusional about what my weight should be. It almost makes me second guess myself. I know I look ok now but honestly, I still have a lot of body fat that needs to go. My waist is still in the "dangerous" category of just over 35 inches (I am apple shape).

I guess I just need to grow thicker skin, or learn to not talk about it when asked?? I just feel like sometimes people don't understand healthy. Does anyone here think my goals are unreasonable?

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I wanna get down to 105 and it bothers me SO much!! It's still on the healthy range for my size (5'0) and I'm not doing anything unhealthy to get there.

People just don't understand and are quick to judge :(
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just do what I do...when I post something that may get a lot of dirty comments attached to it, I just simply ask people to not post on it that are going to have something negative to say. It definitely works. I just recently posted a blog looking for friends who follow a low carb lifestyle like myself and asked at the end of it for people not to comment on it that don't follow the lifestyle and just want to criticize. It worked like a charm. :)
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think your goals are perfectly reasonable!

I also think that some people are too quick to jump on the "that much weight loss is unhealthy!" bandwagon
  • atcbabe1
    atcbabe1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Just blow them off. You know what your body is able to do better then anyone. Your goal is in the healthy range for your height. Go for it and show them how awsome you can look.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I hear you. I am 5'4 and my goal is 128. I have been there before, and I was happy there. That is exactly right in the middle of the "Healthy" area on the BMI scale.
    As long as you get there the healthy way, and continue to maintain in a healthy manner, why does it matter to anyone else? makes no sense to me.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't think your goal is unreasonable at all. I am almost 5*8 and my goal weight is 140-145. I completely understand people thinking 20 more pounds is a lot. I think some people just don't understand what is going on. You should do whatever you want to make yourself happy. Not everybody has to like it....maybe they are just jealous that you are going to be a hottie when you are finished! I wouldn't worry about what other people say.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Don't let negative comments knock you off-track. Do what you want to do, and if you are not sure, ask your doctor. Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is unrealistic. In order to avoid comments, though, when people ask how much you still plan to lose, just say you aren't sure and you'll know it when you see it.
  • jamiefire7
    jamiefire7 Posts: 50
    Options
    I understand! I really need to get down to around 145 or so. People tell me I am crazy and good friends have even told me worse. I am a big boned girl and have never been tiny and I will never be tiny but I know where I look and feel my best. I say that you try to brush off what they say and as long as you are truely being healthy and feel healthy at that goal then go for it. Once you are there I think that folks will start to realize that you were right and back off some. Go for it girl!! You can do it :smile:
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this morning (when asked) that I wanted to lose another 20 lbs so that I get to the low 130's. I don't think this is unreasonable. Up until recently, I have always been a very small person. I was naturally 105 in college not watching my diet at all and I was always underweight growing up (but always ate lots)!

I know I will never be that size again but I know my body and I know where I am comfortable. I feel that 130 is very comfortable for me and not unreasonble at all. I am 5'5" and building muscle so I think that is a great goal!

The problem is that when I tell this to people they get all judgemental and say it's too low and there is no way I need to lose 20 lbs. They think I am some kind of unhealthy diet and that I am dillusional about what my weight should be. It almost makes me second guess myself. I know I look ok now but honestly, I still have a lot of body fat that needs to go. My waist is still in the "dangerous" category of just over 35 inches (I am apple shape).

I guess I just need to grow thicker skin, or learn to not talk about it when asked?? I just feel like sometimes people don't understand healthy. Does anyone here think my goals are unreasonable?

5'5 at 130 is not unreasonable at all! My 57 year old mother lost 15lbs this year just from walking and eating healthier and she is 130 and I wouldn't even say she is SUPER thin. She looks very healthy! Unless you have a large frame I wouldn't say that is an unreasonable goal at all.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    On here they said it was too low? Or are these people saying this to your face? Sometimes, people are going to say cruel and stupid things. You can't control that. You can only control how you react. I know this is way easier said than done, as I struggle with it, too.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i think they're just haters.......you do what you feel best doing. unless your like 5'5 and you want to be like 80 pounds...they dont know your natural build/frame, so yeah, you do you.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    It sounds like a good goal to me, but the only people who can make this decision wisely are you and your doc. I get this a lot too. My favorite is when I mention I am going to go home and work out people say, "Aren't you done with that yet?" As if you can reach a goal and then just stop working out lol I do have more to loose, and my body will tell me when I get there. I work out because it has become my hobby and it is a natural part of a healthy lifestyle! Keep your head up! I have learned to use these comments as motivators. I love it that I am a gym rat and others just don't get it lol
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree, blow them off. They can't see you, they don't know how "unreasonable" it is or not...usually those people are jealous because they don't want to work harder to get smaller...keep up your good work
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I wanna get down to 105 and it bothers me SO much!! It's still on the healthy range for my size (5'0) and I'm not doing anything unhealthy to get there.

People just don't understand and are quick to judge :(
    105 is def good for someone who is 5'0
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    sing it sista!! I get alot of this too! I'm 5'9" and small framed and am 52 years old and HAPPIEST at right around 130. My Doctors love me, my blood work and I feel great!

So while it is true that we need to be watchful of overdoing this weight loss thing, we can also separate out the facts about who we are and our bodies.

I mostly have to field these comments from my obese mother, overweight friends and those here who are really stuck. Truth is we are all different people and different frame sizes, heights, ages, genders etc. Go for the healthiest person you can be and if you want to wear the same size you did in college then do it!

So you have my empathy and my support to just be YOU!

:smokin:
  • k8tmama
    k8tmama Posts: 58
    Options
    Yeah, don't get frustrated if you can help it. My goal--someday--is in the 130s, maybe lower. I'm only 5'3", and that would be healthy for me. It may be that some others are feeling defensive because they have reached a goal weight of 150, and that's great for them. It just emphasizes how individual this process is.

Be encouraged! :)
    Kate
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    I think it is just called jealousy! People tend to critize things they don't have or don't think they can do themselves. As long as it is healthy and it will make you feel good about yourself, do it! Keep up the good work!
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    People say the same to me when I tell them I have more to lose. They dont see me naked, so how can they judge how my body should look! I like you have a waist that is around 35 inches and I have a lot of just plain extra fat hanging around. I would also like to be around 130 and I am two inches taller than you, so I see no problem with your goal! Go for it!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sing it sista!! I get alot of this too! I'm 5'9" and small framed and am 52 years old and HAPPIEST at right around 130. My Doctors love me, my blood work and I feel great!

So while it is true that we need to be watchful of overdoing this weight loss thing, we can also separate out the facts about who we are and our bodies.

I mostly have to field these comments from my obese mother, overweight friends and those here who are really stuck. Truth is we are all different people and different frame sizes, heights, ages, genders etc. Go for the healthiest person you can be and if you want to wear the same size you did in college then do it!

So you have my empathy and my support to just be YOU!

:smokin:

Good for you! :D