Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Potato flour

LivLovLrn
LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
Has anyone had experience working with potato flour? I tried making dough last night, and while it was edible, it was hard to work with and a very odd texture; like like like....I don't know what to compare it to. Like one of those erasers that is almost see through? Kind of rubbery, spongy, elasticy....

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    I haven't but now I think I'll pass.. lol... Thanks for the heads up~! :tongue:
  • Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Potato flour as well as some other types of flour (rice and almond) are gluten free. They have a different texture and taste than regular flour. Did you use xanthan gum to help hold the mixture together?
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    I haven't tried potato flour but I have tried almond meal, coconut flour, several gluten-free flour mixes that were a combo of many types of flours .. . I try to bake gluten free when I bake (that isn't often because I am low-carb). I do use xanthan gum now, my friend who's husband is gluten senstitive told me about it. She likes to use spelt flour, but not a white processed spelt, a special kind she gets at a co-op, I guess spelt can be darker and not processed. Xanthan gum looks expensive but you only need a tiny bit to make dough rise properly or thicken sauces. It's a powder (at least the kind I got) and I got it at Whole Foods near the gluten-free flours in the baking aisle.

I make cupccakes gluten free, and people say they are more dense, more like a muffin. I say who cares? They taste good, they don't have nasty gluten, and I ice them with homemade cream cheese icing so they're good enough. Good luck!