Bootylicious Weight Rant

Options
[rant]

So a friend and I were talking about eating healthily and staying within a healthy weight range and she just popped up with the comment "but that weight range doesn't really apply to black people right?"

I really didn't even know what to say without being rude since she is a very "thick" woman.

Like really... why wouldn't it??? What would make an African American's body different from a white, asian, etc.???? We're in college now but just wait like 20 years and see what those "luscious" curves end up looking like.

Ugh!!! It's so aggravating talking to my friends sometimes (most of which gained the freshman 15+)

[/rant]

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I actually was amused by the question..
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Some people will use any excuse to avoid a healthy lifestyle. I suppose admitting they are lazy would be too hard. Oh well, let's see how everyone is doing in five years.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you have it in all the right places, those proportions/distributions will stay with you even when you are a thinner version of yourself.

Once bootylicious, always bootylicious - no one should use this as an excuse not to lose weight.
  • arh0117
    arh0117 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ironically enough, I have often wondered how body type comes into play when calculating "healthy weight," but usn't that what the range is for, i.e. 118-155. I am a THICK white girl, always have been, always will be. The only way I will ever fit in a size 6 or under is if I completely starve myself, and I would probably drop dead first!! LOL That being said, your friend does sound kinda clueless when it comes to really knowing what's healthy...js...
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    If you have it in all the right places, those proportions/distributions will stay with you even when you are a thinner version of yourself.

Once bootylicious, always bootylicious - no one should use this as an excuse not to lose weight.

Amen to that. . .even when I am within range I have hips and a bootie. . .lol
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    Some people will use any excuse to avoid a healthy lifestyle. I suppose admitting they are lazy would be too hard. Oh well, let's see how everyone is doing in five years.

lol i dont have to wait 5 years... i saw what her mom looked like
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

Me too!! I might be a (almost blindingly) white girl, but this baby has back!! Always have, thank you! The difference between heavy and healthy? It's a Heck of a lot more firm now! Yea, my hubby likes to smack that :bigsmile:
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options

Me too!! I might be a (almost blindingly) white girl, but this baby has back!! Always have, thank you! The difference between heavy and healthy? It's a Heck of a lot more firm now! Yea, my hubby likes to smack that :bigsmile:

:laugh: @ smack that
  • kpopper
    kpopper Posts: 12
    Options

preach
  • iAm_misspiggy
    iAm_misspiggy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do think that the races distribute weight differently just like the sexes do. As we all know fat in areas such as hips and thighs is less harmful than fat in the mid region. Just as our faces have different structures our bodies do as well. & There is no denying that black and white faces are different. Granted Some things are just unhealthy, but I do think there is an obvious difference between women of color and white women. if you are surrounded by black women you can see it. Girls with big butts and small waists. If I were to follow the suggested BMI for myself I would weigh 95 lbs. BUT I know better I know something is different about my body. I have a butt. I have hips. I have had 36 DD since I was in high school and was 50lbs lighter. My goal is 140 My current weight 189.

http://womensissues.about.com/od/femalebodyimage/a/Black-Women-Healthier-Weight.htm