Please help OT

Options
:sad: I am flipping out right now so any thoughts would be appreciated. A few weeks ago I went and looked at an apartment. I paid $185 that day supposedly $150 deposit plus $35 application fee. I signed some papers. None of the papers looked like a lease. I had never seen the apartment. So after I looked at it I didn't like it. Which I thought meant I would lose the $185 dollars I paid. Evidently it meant I was bound to a lease. My question is for anyone in the legal business. Wouldn't a lease be the only thing binding?

Replies

• ehorner1976
    Options
    :sad: I am flipping out right now so any thoughts would be appreciated. A few weeks ago I went and looked at an apartment. I paid $185 that day supposedly $150 deposit plus $35 application fee. I signed some papers. None of the papers looked like a lease. I had never seen the apartment. So after I looked at it I didn't like it. Which I thought meant I would lose the $185 dollars I paid. Evidently it meant I was bound to a lease. My question is for anyone in the legal business. Wouldn't a lease be the only thing binding?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I'm sorry dont take this the wrong way but you put money down on an apartment that you didnt see- usually you see the apartment first then pay 35.00 app fee if you are interested in applying- I would contact the actual manager of the apt complex not just the leasing agent- also I do this all the time when i have legal questions I call local attorneys and ask them quick questions over the phone whether its possible for something or not- also request that they show you the leasing paperwork- if they cant provide it on demand then you are in a lease
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    go to your state's website mi.gov

in the search box type "tenants lease"

There are lots of results on that page (tenants lease)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Did you read the papers? Any time money is involved, always read before you sign. Generally if you pay the deposit, the apartment is yours, as the deposit is part of the first month's rent.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well, I've rented a lot of apartments in my life and I've never heard of having to accept the apartment because you put a deposit on it. If you decide you don't want the apartment you don't get the deposit back. I've never had the experience that the deposit is part of the rent. I've always been charged a deposit plus first month's rent. You really should have read any paperwork before signing though. I hope you can get out it. Good luck to you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    In NC, you can break an apartment lease within 3 days of signing a lease agreement. No idea if similar clauses exist where you are.

Get copies of the paperwork you signed. See what it says.